Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Unhappy rockwood is falling apart

our one year old Rockwood ultra signature lite 8319 is falling apart.

closet pole was only screwed into thin paneling no backing I could find
entertainment door screws pulling out
all the ceiling vents fell apart the third camping trip last year
microwave inside peeling and rusty
door closure screws pulled out this morning
I hate the water filter location and want it bypassed or removed.
so far no big problems like slides failing, wheels falling off, awning not working
most I'll fix myself but why should I have to? I can't wait until the FROG rally I hope they have guys from the factory come listen to the problems everyone seems to be having.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

Is it still under warranty? I would have them fix it. Did you get the second year warranty also?
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
HogHead

Yeah, sorry to hear it also. I dont hang or attach anything without first having a solid foundation. But i had problems with the tail light blowing fuses in my suburban. Then when the light s were on and i actuated the brakes they overbraked it was a horrible event on a rainy night coming back from tahoe. Luckily still under warranty and we found the problem. Ofcourse in the furthest corner of the trailer, under the shower pan. Someone screwed the wire and caused a short in the whole electrical / lighting system. I guess it could have caused a fire. The tech yanked the wire and pulled out one of the marker lights. Whew! We are good to go now. This problem took a while to manifest itself. Maybe because things shifted in the trailer or somthing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3113192205.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	16306  
Bauerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
our one year old Rockwood ultra signature lite 8319 is falling apart.

closet pole was only screwed into thin paneling no backing I could find
entertainment door screws pulling out
all the ceiling vents fell apart the third camping trip last year
microwave inside peeling and rusty
door closure screws pulled out this morning
I hate the water filter location and want it bypassed or removed.
so far no big problems like slides failing, wheels falling off, awning not working
most I'll fix myself but why should I have to? I can't wait until the FROG rally I hope they have guys from the factory come listen to the problems everyone seems to be having.
I don't want to say this and I hope I am wrong in your case but it might not be over. I had more problems with the structure two weeks after the warrenty was up and it continued, the appliances where good except the 13,500 BTU Dometic a/c unit, I change it out and installed a Carrier 15,000 BTU unit. My camper was an 8314ss, this rig needs a 15K as standard not a 13.5K....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I don't want to say this and I hope I am wrong in your case but it might not be over. I had more problems with the structure two weeks after the warrenty was up and it continued, the appliances where good except the 13,500 BTU Dometic a/c unit, I change it out and installed a Carrier 15,000 BTU unit. My camper was an 8314ss, this rig needs a 15K as standard not a 13.5K....
Yes you did have structural problems after the warrenty was up,you said a Tree fell on your unit. May your unit RIP at the junkyard,as you said. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

I am disgusted with the workmanship in my 2011 Rockwood 1809. Can this really be the work of Americans? Sadly, it is. My travel trailer shows an astonishing lack of care in its assembly. I realize that to have an ultralight trailer there must be some sacrifice in the weight of components but there is no excuse for those components being assembled so unprofessionally.
My AC leaked when it rained. I took the bottom cover off and looked at the four long screws/bolts which connect the inside with the outside (with a gasket in between). There was a total of over 3 inches of thread showing on the four screws! By simply screwing the screws in, as the assemblers should have done, I stopped the leak.
I just found a screw behind the stove that had been broken off BEFORE it was inserted - there was a 1/16" dimple in the wood under the panel with no broken off screw shank. Unbelievable!
There are many more examples of absolutely astonishing disregard for standard building practices in my trailer. Would I ever buy another Rockwood Product? Would I ever buy another Forest River Product? Would I ever hesitate to warn friends, family, acquaintances, complete strangers, about buying from this company? What do you think?
ProfessorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Hob

mike54,

Tell this to herk7769 under the thread, "I love my Forest River Product." I think he bought stock in Forest River. He is a fantastic help with problems. Yet, the way he sometimes gets on the Forest River podium you need to wonder why he is there with all the help promoting Forest River.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Tell this to herk7769 under the thread, "I love my Forest River Product." I think he bought stock in Forest River. He is a fantastic help with problems. Yet, the way he sometimes gets on the Forest River podium you need to wonder why he is there with all the help promoting Forest River.
Don't you think that's a little unfair to Herk?

He's had good luck with his, and he's satisfied with it.

I believe he genuinely wants to help, and I have never detected any "hidden agendas" in his posts.

Some folks are just like that, and not everybody is self-serving alone, thank goodness!

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

I find it interesting that both the Rockwood and the Forest River websites have no contact info. That is a very informative fact. They clearly have no use for feedback. They take your money and then you're on your own!
ProfessorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorB View Post
I am disgusted with the workmanship in my 2011 Rockwood 1809. Can this really be the work of Americans? Sadly, it is. My travel trailer shows an astonishing lack of care in its assembly. I realize that to have an ultralight trailer there must be some sacrifice in the weight of components but there is no excuse for those components being assembled so unprofessionally.
My AC leaked when it rained. I took the bottom cover off and looked at the four long screws/bolts which connect the inside with the outside (with a gasket in between). There was a total of over 3 inches of thread showing on the four screws! By simply screwing the screws in, as the assemblers should have done, I stopped the leak.
I just found a screw behind the stove that had been broken off BEFORE it was inserted - there was a 1/16" dimple in the wood under the panel with no broken off screw shank. Unbelievable!
There are many more examples of absolutely astonishing disregard for standard building practices in my trailer. Would I ever buy another Rockwood Product? Would I ever buy another Forest River Product? Would I ever hesitate to warn friends, family, acquaintances, complete strangers, about buying from this company? What do you think?
You may not want to buy from very many RV manufacturers then as more than FR build units the way our FR units are made and some of them are in the 6 figure range. My BIL has a unit made by K-Z and anything I can see wrong with my FR made unit he can find pretty much the same standard of build and QC on his.

A wise man once said "The grass is not always greener on the other side".

And BTW I agree that Herk is just a happy camper as are we. Sure we have had some minor issues but all has been looked after very well by our dealer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #11

I also have to back Forest River, I have a classic lite 5th wheel for 2 years and so far so good, the only thing we had to re do was the fold down extra counter top, it came loose the first trip, we fixed it ourselves with stonger brackets but other than that we are happy with our camper
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Hob

Quote:
Talk to herk7769 he has a total love affair going on with Forest River. My thoughts are, "Forest River certainly can't steal Ford's slogan about quality being job 1."
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
mike54,

Herk has been more then helpful to everyone on this forum, and has never shown anything other then his satisfaction for his rig. For you to question his motives or character is totally uncalled for.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Don't you think that's a little unfair to Herk?

He's had good luck with his, and he's satisfied with it.

I believe he genuinely wants to help, and I have never detected any "hidden agendas" in his posts.

Some folks are just like that, and not everybody is self-serving alone, thank goodness!

Pop
I agree with Pop. I think Herk's thread I love my forest river product was a great idea. Every body is quick to complain about problems and he just wanted people to know there are a lot of happy camper out there myself included as far as Herk having stock in forest river that's un fair He's always one of the first people to respond to peoples problems and he has a lot of good advice and a ton of info to share with any one I have learned a lot from him and all the other people on here that are quick to respond to peoples problems [ you guys know who you are ]Thank all of you for all your advise and knowledgeOh and one more thing Its not Herk's fault people are having issues
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #15

I like my Rockwood the layout works for us but when I have to fix something after every trip because it broke or came loose it doesn't make me happy.. I had a crossroads zinger for 3 years I didn't have to fix but a few things other than the mods I did.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #16

Not trying to bash anyone here. IMHO I think a warranty was created to cover the issues, that's why companies offer them. People are imperfect. I think we just get ticked because the issues happen at the most importune times. I can say, I've had some issues with my Flagstaff, but I've been able to get them resolved. I'm on my 2nd Forest River trailer in 10 years. I'll probably by another.

BTW, Herk is just happy camper that wants to share his enthusiasm for camping and a product he just happens to like.

I enjoy this forum and learned a lot for those that have a passion for camping, sharing their wisdom and experiences, good and bad.

Keep voicing your opinions, tips and tricks, product reviews, camping experiences, Forest River ownership and camping comrade.

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #17

Not happy with my Flagstaff either, and alot of problems listed on this forum I haven't had yet, but last time camping was next to someone else that had something other than a Forest River product, and he was unhappy with the quality of his 5th wheel, so pretty much wide-spread thru most of the industry.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
Site Team

if you visited other RV forums, such as RV.net, you'd see that this is an industry-wide issue, not just a FR issue.

lots of complaints about all brands, none are even close to perfect and all have quality control issues, even the $100,000 RVs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
Dallas Texas

Quote:
I find it interesting that both the Rockwood and the Forest River websites have no contact info. That is a very informative fact. They clearly have no use for feedback.
x2
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
mike54,

Bill,

I will have to keep that in mind. I wonder why I am still here sometimes myself. It is like a drug (or Facebook) dependency. If there is internet available (or phone service) am on constantly from when I get up in the morning till I go to bed at night. How the DW puts up with it is beyond me.

The only way I can explain it is the thrill I get when someone hits the "Thank You" button because I (or the Herkbrary) got them through a tough patch either before their camping trip or during.

For the Record:

Compensation from Forest River (or any of it's divisions) - zero
Compensation from Forest River Forums - zero
Stock in Forest River - (unknown - as I do have some mutual funds and they MAY include Berkshire Hathaway shares - who own just about everybody)

Current "Thank You" hits - 3,732
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote