Old 02-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini 2306 questions

I have a few questions on the Mini 2306. I love a ton of things about this camper. We have pretty much narrowed our search down to this one.We are looking at the Murphy bed option with 2 bunks. After walking through the Mini, i have a couple questions for you guys...
1. The outdoor storage seems very limited. Any mods that can be done to increase the size of the 3 storage bins? Anything you guys do with your outdoor items (EZ-up, grill, camp chairs) to get around this? I'd rather not store things that can get wet/dirty inside.
2. Does anyone know the weight limit on the bunks? On various other campers i've seen anywhere from 150 - 300# limits on the bunks. I'm hoping these are the 300# rated.

Thanks guys. We are currently Rpod owners (182G) and are trading up a little bit this summer. Look forward to learning more on these boards!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I can't directly answer your questions but someone will be around shortly that can help.

Turbs

Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Hi and Welcome!

I have a 2109S and it has the same cabinets on the side of the bed and above sink and stove. I added wire shelving (from Home Depot) to the interior of those spaces and it increased the storage space. Don't have pics on this computer but if you search the forum by my handle, you should find them on some postings.
Also do a forum search for shelving and you will find alot.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

We researched for a year befor purchasing our Rockwood 2306 in Jan aid this year. Remember that with the Murphy bed option you lose the pass through ecpxterior storage...however you still have storage under the sofa on the interior. Ie you can store the things you use on your patio...chairs, mat lights, etc under the sofa and take out up onset up and you still have the exterior storage for your hoses, cords, le ruling blocks...etc. I GE this helps. I am a true believer in the light weight durable construction of the 2306. Good luck
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

I'm told that the bunks are rated at 250#. My wife took a peak into the back storage area and it looks like we can make a mod there to open that space up a little bit. There's the hot water heater and hoses and pipes, but i think it's workable. The biggest disappointment with that compartment is that the door is just SO small.
We have decided to store the EZ-up and chairs in the bed area while towing. Not perfect, but it will do.
We just placed an order for the 2306 yesterday! Went with the Cherry wood w/ Taylor Sand intereior... and got a few of the options... Murphy bed, window shades, oven, power awning, Aluminum wheels & 15,000 btu A/C unit.
Our dealer said they already had an order in for a few of these and we were able to adjust their order to fit our needs. 6 week lead time... lets hope.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Excellent. We alos ordered the cherry, and went with th dark brown interior...cant remember the name. We got the night shades, larger aluminum wheels, oven, large ac, power awning, power jack, and murphy bed. We billed out at $16, 400....what about you?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

We have a 2304S with the murpyhy bed and just love the way it gives you so much more room in the camper when it is up. I doubled the storage space in the kitchen cabinets by putting shelfs in them wherever I could. The under sofa space is quite large and will hold lots of stuff. We were able to get everthing in that we needed.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

I don't have your model but my 2503S has the same storage limit due to the murphy bed. My plan is to put hinges on the kicker panel of the couch (the front panel below the seat).

I was putting longer items under the couch but found it tricky to lift the seat at the same time. A while ago I read on this forum about someone hinging that panel and I will be doing it before first time out this year. The hinge solution is easy but I still need to come up with a simple way to keep it securely closed while travelling.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

I have the 2306 and love it. There is no other model on the market that gives you a sofa, full size bed, dinette and two bunks in such a compact package. There is a downside which you identified and that is the outside storage. You will definitely be thinking twice about whether you need to bring something with this trailer. One thing that I did to help free up some space is I added peg board to the two front storage bays. I was then able to hang up some tools, small propane tanks, etc. Also, I found out that not all of my sewer couplings fit in the rear bumper. I didn't want to store them in the storage bays so I added a 4-3/4" fence post to the rear bumper (attached with strong zip ties). That way I can put all my sewer stuff in the post and fishing poles and a few other things in the bumper.

Have fun!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

FloridaPhil... Looks like we got identical upgrades except I didn't get the power tongue jack (I've never viewed that as an area of frustration). Our dealer will be adding a couple things upon delivery from the factory. Since the front two outdoor compartments only have key locks, we're having twist locks put on... Also having the over-sized D handle added to the front door. We're in at just over $16,600. We got a generous offer on our trade-in (2012 Rpod 182G) and its a dealer close by so we're happy all-around.