Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S ~ Hensley Arrow Hitch Question

We will be picking up our camper end of this month!! Towing with 2015 Ford Expedition XLT. We already have a Hensley Arrow Hitch to use.
To know if the hitch bar we already have is the correct one for use...here is what we will need to know:
#2 (type of coupler)
#3 (number of inches from the top of trailer coupler to the parking surface - with trailer level, of course!)
Also, is it a 2 5/16" coupler?

Hoping someone can help as we need to bring hitch with us to Ohio to pick-up!
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitchrequirements.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	122610  
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

I'd move this to the "towing/hitches" forum for more action.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

How do I move it?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaluvlife View Post
We will be picking up our camper end of this month!! Towing with 2015 Ford Expedition XLT. We already have a Hensley Arrow Hitch to use.
To know if the hitch bar we already have is the correct one for use...here is what we will need to know:
#2 (type of coupler)
#3 (number of inches from the top of trailer coupler to the parking surface - with trailer level, of course!)
Also, is it a 2 5/16" coupler?

Hoping someone can help as we need to bring hitch with us to Ohio to pick-up!
Thanks!!
#2 = B
#3 = I THINK 19 inches, but don't quote me. Mine's in storage.

Here's a pic of a 2015 Micro Lite 25KS (sister to ML 2503S)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4738.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	122649  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Some guy in back...

Mounting and using the Hensley

I applaud your use of the Hensley with your new rig. It's a great hitch, perhaps the best, all things considered and I have towed a lot with one.

It was not clear to me if you have used the hitch before with your TV or if you have mounted one to a new trailer before. If so, then good luck and all I'd suggest is to call the seller and ask them to take a picture and measure for you.

If not, I have run into some issues in the past that you may want to think about.

The bumper you have on your TV can change things. You need to be able to get to the OCL (Over Center Latches) on the hitch and depending on how far the bumper protrudes past the hitch receiver and how far above the receiver it sits can mean an easy hook-up or a frustrating one. (I have the factory step bumper on my TV and it covers the tops of the OCLs so I have to use a 1" open end wrench to close them.)

If you are going to install the hitch yourself, read the instructions several times and make sure you have all the tools and drill bits to do the job. Have some help, because you are in for some heavy lifting.

If the dealer is doing the install, I'd ask if they have done one before. It's much more involved than the typical WDH and requires some fairly accurate measurements. (I did the install myself in the dealer's yard but the tech let me use his two air lines, drill motors and ratchets and it made it go a LOT faster!)

You may or may not need extensions to the chains and the trailer umbilical. if you need either and don't have them, you are not going anywhere until you do. (I made my own because they are not a common thing at RV dealers...)

Get the "tongue twister" from Hensley. That and the 3/4" wobble bar adapter in your cordless drill will make hitching MUCH easier! (one secret is to back in parallel to the centerline of the trailer. The tongue twister will move things over a bit if you are not lined up perfectly...hitching is very different from a common WDH hitch.

IF you know all this already, like I said, good luck! The Hensley is a fantastic hitch and you'll not be disappointed.

(have you checked tongue weight with the addition of the Hensley? I needed air springs to reduce squatting with my TV...)

Cheers!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Thanks all for info!

Wow..thanks for all the info & tips!
We have used the Hensley Arrow for many years with our previous trailer Jayco Kiwi 23B. But since our new Rockwood 2503S is on order, we can't get definite measurements yet. The Forest River Rockwood rep says it should be between 20-22". Hensley rep says if 22" should be ok, it only 20" might need 2" lift. Hopefully unit comes in on time before we come and the dealer can take accurate measurements for us! Nice to know for sure!!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

You are very welcome!

I hope everything goes well with your new rig!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, hitch, rockwood, rockwood mini lite