Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShelton View Post
We purchased from Bill Thomas Campers in Wentzville in January. It was the only 2504s they had in stock. I see you're in O'Fallon. Did you purchase from Bill Thomas?

Ours doesn't have the night shades, but otherwise has all the bells and whistles, including the 15,000 btu air conditioner.

Did our PDI last Thursday when it was about 18 degrees so we couldn't test the water system (swore I'd never purchase another travel trailer in the winter, but here I am). Didn't check the heated mattress, but everything else seemed tip top.

We absolutely love all the space inside the 2504s. Outside storage is a little tighter than our Vibe, but we fit everything in, with plenty more storage available inside. Looking forward to our de-winterization trip to Cuiver River State Park when the weather gets better.

Hope you're enjoying your new 2504s soon!

Can you elaborate a little more on the outside storage? That's the one area I've seen very little information about. We are scheduled to pick ours up in 3 weeks.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #22

The front storage is a pass-thru, but it's not very tall or wide. We had to switch to some smaller containers for sewer supplies (disappointed that my sewer hose will not fit in the bumper storage).

The rear storage is a little taller so we put all of our water hoses and electrical supplies there. By the way, this is how you access your water heater bypass, water filter and pump. You can also access this from inside under the rear bunks.

The only thing we couldn't fit in outside storage is our little charcoal grill.

I'm sure we'll add a few more items, for which I'm saving the spot under the booth. Again, this model has ample interior storage.
RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
The front storage is a pass-thru, but it's not very tall or wide. We had to switch to some smaller containers for sewer supplies (disappointed that my sewer hose will not fit in the bumper storage).
Look at the vinyl post cover mod that a lot of folks have done. It makes a great storage place for sewer hoses and will free up some space in your storage hatch.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #24

Quote:

I can't imagine that they'd use a different bumper for yours... I bought one of those rhino's at Wally and it fits perfectly in mine... It's tight and needs to be put in a certain way, but it does fit.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #25

New Owner, new to the forum, Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S

Hello everyone. I am a new member to the Forest River community, as well as a new member to RV ownership. Wife and I have been researching RVs for about 6 months to find that perfect floorplan (like that exists, lol).. Anyway, I have read dozens and dozens of threads on this forum and have gotten a great deal of advice (sort of in secret, since I wasnt responding, just absorbing, haha). I found this thread about the 2504S and thought this is a good time to introduce myself to the group.

The wife and I are first time RV owners (but my parents have owned for years, so we arent new to camping/RVing). We wanted something that didnt feel small when you were inside, but didnt feel huge when you were towing, and we just ordered our 2504S from RV Outlet USA near Danville VA.

We dont currently have children but they are in the plans, so we had a few "must have" items in our trailer. The must haves were small for towing, but spacious for living (as I mentioned earlier), bunk beds, a couch (that actually faces the tv) and a bed for us. We originally stumbled upon the Jayco White Hawk 25MB (maybe 23MB, having trouble remembering at this point, they all blur together) which is almost the same thing as the 2504S. When we found the jayco model we knew that there is a model for us. But we continued our search to see if we could find one that was "better". That is how we found the 2504S. And when the dining room slide out is in the out position, with the murphy bed stowed, it feels every bit as large inside as my parents 5th wheel (though it is clearly an illusion).

There are a few differences between the 2 models: Jayco has 2 doors and we preferred 1. Jayco had the bathroom sink outside the bathroom and we prefer it in one room. And the 2504S seemed to have more storage. There were other minor things like door handle/assists and cosmetic differences, but those arent show stoppers for us.

I saw a mention of Wana RV, and we got a great price quote from them, and were just about to put in our order with them when we stumbled onto RV Outlet USA. Saw nothing but great reviews from both locations. We live about 4 hours from Danville VA (and my parents are about 30 minutes south of there), and we are 9 hours from Wana, so it just made more sense to purchase closer to home. Especially when you consider that when we tow it off the dealers lot, it will literally be our first time towing anything (other than the tiny little trailer behind a lawn mower, lol).

The only bad thing is waiting for the RV to get finished, and since it just got ordered, we have some time to wait. They said 6-10 weeks. I tend to think closer to 10 but we will see. I should mention we got it about as close to loaded as you can get with the options, so it is literally the perfect trailer for us. We will be towing it with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost.

Any tips, suggestions, "dont do this" type of advise would certainly be appreciated. I dont want to be the "newbie" breaking camping etiquette, lol, especially since it might be annoying one of you, ha. So thanks for the advice and knowledge I have taken from these forums already, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

If this was long and rambling, I apologize, just trying to give as much info as possible in order for all of you to be in better position to share any advice that you may have for us.
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #26

Congrats on the new camper. Sounds like you have read a lot of comments on this forum so you should be in good shape. Plus you will have another 10 weeks to keep learning. I'm a year into our camper and I'm still learning.

One thing I would suggest is to have the salesman take you to a parking lot and reach you how to back the camper. This was a big before our first trip and gave me some confidence. Also research PDI's on this site as they walk you through the camper for the first time. Good luck and happy camping.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #27

Thanks DisDad. I have been doing some research on the PDI aspect. Even found some sheets you can take with you. I think the best advice I have come across is to video tape the walk through. Then you can go back and watch that portion of the video if you forget how to operate something, etc.

The backing up aspect is also something I have been researching, they even have vidoes out there on the net. How the heck did DIYers learn how to do anything before the internet, lol... We have discussed a few options, one of them being to have my parents meet us there, and have my step father drive it somewhere like a parking lot (with us watching and learning everything we can), and then spend some time with some cones or something to help maneuver the vehicle. 1,000s have figured it out on their own with no help, so I am confident that with some assistnce from those with experience, we should be able to handle it. It is nerve racking for sure, but we hope to be able to minimize the risk with good planning. Our biggest concern is actually locally to where we live (just outside the beltway of Wash DC). So until we get really comfortable with it, we are planning on leaving the house in the middle of the night to minimize traffic volume, and when coming back home, leaving at what ever time will get us home during a low traffic volume hour. Because the last thing we want to do is get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, towing a vehicle we have never towed, etc...

We may be going over board, but we are also purchasing a camera system for the trailer (1 rear cam, 2 side cams, possibly a 4th cam inside the rv). Hopefully that will be helpful in traffic, and in the tight quarters of the camp grounds. It still amazes me that campgrounds have roads barely wide enough for a 4 wheeler, lol. On that note, why is every campground located 7 miles down a 1.5 lane bumpy, curvy road, haha?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
Always Learning

SemperFi, you're me! I'm you! Heck, I live in outside if the DC beltway and all (north of there, in HoCo).

Before getting my fifth wheel, my towing experience started with kayak guiding for LL Bean. That started with "trailer training" the day of our on water drills/trainings. What that consisted of was they threw you the keys to the van with kayak trailer attached and said, here- back it into this spot (which was 4 cones sort of laid out like a parking spot). Then, the 3 eldest know-it-ally's stood outside and yelled different directions in some foreign language until you either ran over 2 cones and were enough in the parking spot to be freed, cried like a little girl, or figured out- if you roll up the windows, you couldn't hear the shouts anymore. The only thing that I had going for me was I remembered 2 old fogies tell me many years before to hold the bottom of the steering wheel; whichever hand you raise is the direction the trailer will go. Ultimately, I sort of hit the spot and it was someone else's turn to suffer.

After that, we pulled the trailer from the parking lot, around the walking path to the lake and back for 3 more years. If you couldn't get it backed into the parking spot, you got it close enough (sometimes, 10' away), unhitched and just pushed.

I then bought a 3,000 pound popup that I couldn't move by hand. It took me a while getting it parked, but I ultimately got used to it for the one season and dozen+ trips that we took. Never hit anything and decided I didn't care how bad it looked to those around me.

And then, I got stupid and bought a 42' fifth wheel and crew cab/long bed truck. Bumper to bumper we're 59 1/2' long. The very best thing that happened was that the dealership sent one of their techs on a "test drive" with me just before I signed papers. He gave me pointers on turning, what to watch out for and pay attention to. He didn't help me with parking, but gave me a world of confidence towing. Since then, with parking - I've had only 3 minor mishaps (2 in the same parking attempt, actually).

When you park- 1) don't worry about the audience- they've all been there, done that. 2) where practical, don't worry about making people wait. Again, they've been there, done that. Usually there's another way around and if they're impatient, they can take it.

As for towing the beltway and stop and go traffic- that doesn't bother me in the slightest. In slow/stop and go traffic, there are no surprises because everyone is going really slowly! Just plan lane changes a mile or two ahead of time, put your turn signal on and lean to the side of your lane (don't cross the line)- a good samaritan will make room eventually.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #29

In my opinion, backing into campsites is one of every newbies biggest fears. So... We've all been there. A couple suggestions that helped me... 1. If possible, try to back into your site with the hooks-ups closest to the driver so you can clearly see where you want to be. 2. When you pull up to your back-in site, drive forward a little more than you think you should. It takes a few feet for your camper to begin its turn back. 3. Keep your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in what ever direction you want the camper to turn.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #30

I have had minilite 2504s on order now for 2 weeks through RVW. Got another 4 to 5 weeks before it's delivered to our home. Would love to hear from some folks that have that model and any concerns or problems to look for once it arrives. Also just some general thoughts about the camper, I have not actually physically seen that floor plan. I'm so excited to get camping in it, I can't sleep!

Thanks, Chris
Shawnee, Ks

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Forest River Forums mobile app
firecapt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecapt61 View Post
I have had minilite 2504s on order now for 2 weeks through RVW. Got another 4 to 5 weeks before it's delivered to our home. Would love to hear from some folks that have that model and any concerns or problems to look for once it arrives. Also just some general thoughts about the camper, I have not actually physically seen that floor plan. I'm so excited to get camping in it, I can't sleep!

Thanks, Chris
Shawnee, Ks

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Chris,
You'll love your 2504s. We've had ours out on three trips so far this year and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It's so roomy for a "mini" camper and lots of storage inside. We love the Murphy bed, though we're looking for a good mattress topper. One issue to watch for is the water heater breaker. I didn't realize there was a breaker turned off and thought I had a faulty water heater. After filling with water be sure to turn on outside as well as check the breaker. You might consider adding a tornado tank flush for your black tank. So far my only disappointment is that a black tank flush doesn't come standard. You might want to add a Maxx Air vent cover for your front vent (ours was damaged by hail on our first trip out).

We are camping again in a couple weeks and can't wait. Lots of great places here in Missouri to enjoy the outdoors and our new camper.

Enjoy your new 2504s and happy camping!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #32

Been out 4 times in mine this year in my 2104 (it's a lot like the 2504)...love it. It is a big little camper! The only problem I had was the water filter blowing off. I finally had someone else tighten it down and so far so good....til it's time to winterize. I have already gotten a exterior filter and also am using that.

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #33

First Time Out

Figured I would write a follow up post. The wife and I picked up the 2504S and spent about 9 days camping with it before bringing it home. We are very pleased with our purchase. The only issue we have is the dinette table. The pics make it easier to understand, but the first pic is the table that we have in our unit (note, these are not pics of our actual unit, just pics for demonstration). The second pic is the table that we wanted, and didnt realize we had a choice when we ordered the unit. We had seen several units online, and several units in person at multiple shows, and all of them had the table that we wanted (2nd pic). The table we have has a terrible design flaw. The legs fold down at each end of the table, and those legs then sit at the first seat of each side of the dinette. So if you sit at one of those "first" or "outside" seats, you cant get both legs under the table, your inside leg hits the table leg and you end up with only half of your back side on the seat. You can sit with the table leg in between your knees, but in order to do that, you have to basically step up and over the seat cushion to get your leg to the other side of the table leg. AnIt also prevents you from being able to sit at the end, and then slide over to the other seats, so you would have to climb up on the cushions and walk over to your seat if you wanted to sit facing the "kitchen". It is essentially a useless table because of this. We were forced to turn the table "sideways" and put one end of the table on a 2X4 to keep it level (one leg up on the slde, the other on the kitchen floor). But it isnt all bad, we thought we were getting a 2014 and got a 2015, which did give us some things we didnt expect. One such "thing" is that all of the trailers we had seen prior to picking up ours had no access to the storage under the dinette from the outside, but our trailer does have a door outside to access what is under the dinette. So I dont want to just give bad feed back about the table and thats it. There were lots of positives. The table bummed us out, but we are very pleased with our purchase. I will try to get some more pics (pics of our trailer, not just stock photos or anything). Hoping to use it again 4th of July if we can find a place near us (on such short notice).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Bad Design.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	55372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Good Design.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	55373  

Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #34

I see exactly what you mean, that 1st table is useless vs. the 2d picture. We have a similar table for our TT & store it in the basement using 2 small folding tables instead. Like you, the table is not a show stopper, just isn't what we wanted.

We are headed out camping tomorrow, can't seem to get enough .
Old 06-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #35
Rad

We have the table you wanted -- I don't like it either, it comes up at a slant, and needs a lot of room to fully extend. I wish they had one that just came straight up and then locks into place!
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #36

I have that preferred table. I think they call it an "easy glide" table. I haven't had any real trouble with mine, but I think it's the same one that others have said can have a wobbling problem. There was an entire thread on it.

I have been very careful not to lean on the table with my elbows or to use it for support when standing up from the dinette. Because it feels like wobbling could be in its future. I guess there's no perfect table.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #37

Interesting information about the 2 tables, I appreciate the feedback. Seems neither truly functions as you would expect. I suppose, to nit pick, all things being equal, if neither works, I still prefer the other table, has the newer style look to it, lol.

I am considering some modifications to make it work, but seems that as quickly as I think something up, I then think up the reason it wont work. I might just go with the 2X4 approach, notching a spot for the feet to sit. Or go with a 2X6 just for added stability. Any ideas you all may have, or a link to where I might be able to get the other table (or the legs) would be appreciated

Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #38

I noticed several changes between 2014 (which I have) and 2015 models when viewing a recent YouTube video. In addition to the external under dinette access, it appears there is an external access to a deeper closet next to the dinette. I really wish mine had this extra external access to storage. In addition it appears there is another kitchen drawer (mine has 1 drawer). I do have the better dining table; haven't had any trouble folding it up or down.

Just finished camping with two adults sleeping on the converted dinette. It wasn't super comfy, but worked.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #39

I leave Friday for a 10 hour drive to go pick up my 2504s at RVW! Be interesting to see what table I end up with. I noticed the extra outside storage as well in a YouTube video. Mine is a 2015 model, so I am assuming it will have the the extra outside storage. Going to camp a few days on the drive home. All the Info on here is great!
firecapt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #40

Hello,

Im new to this forum but have been lurking the last few days. Im trying to learn some new tricks about camping with a real rv. My wife and I just purchased a 2015 2504S will pick it up on Friday. We went from a 20 year old pop up to this. So I have never had to drain a black water tank or winterize a camper. Our new camper doesn't have the exterior storage doors to the closet next to the bed/sofa or to the rear of the dinette, even though it is a 2015 model. But we did get a unit with the more desirable table. I would be really upset with the table you cant move around.

We had a lot of trouble comparing the 2504 to anything else. No other dealer around had anything else in the weight class with a comparable floor plan. The jayco dealer didn't stock their model. After looking at dozens of different campers most of them 30 footers, when my wife walked into the 2504 within about a minute she said this is the camper I gotta have. Very surprising since it is about 4-5 feet shorter than everything else we looked at. Im happy because it is also 1500 lbs lighter than everything else we compared. The older 2105 rockwoods have a much different murphy bed that we didn't want anything to do with.

I will be checking out this site frequently looking for more helpful hints. Thanks for all the great knowledge here.
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood