Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #141

Rockwood

You should absolutely get a 4 point equalizer for sway control and even loading. I think you will be impressed with the handling.
larryallenmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryallenmyers View Post
You should absolutely get a 4 point equalizer for sway control and even loading. I think you will be impressed with the handling.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #143

We just bought a 2504s may 12015, tow it with out Touareg v8 with equalizer hitch. We had concerns before our first tow...wow the vehicle is a beast, we could have gone bigger on our trailer size. We live in Colorado , so the mountains can be tough. But wow , no problems at all. Touareg is amazing!! But the 2504s is even better!!! We upgraded from a trailmanor we bought 12 years ago. No comparison, so glad we no longer own the trailmanor, it was an ok trailer... But once you own a rickwood we would never go back. We love both our tow vehicle and trailer!
strynyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #144

equalizer hitch

Yes, you have to have a good hitch for sway and weight distribution. I can't imagine not having one. Good luck with your Rockwood, they make a nice unit. I'm now going to get Nitrogen in the tires. I think it's a smart move especially on a trailer. There are lots of advantages: dry, not prone to leaking, maintains air pressure. I also heard those quick tire changers can damage you axle. Too much weight on one axle. I'd use a jack on the frame to change a tire.
larryallenmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #145

After having an Equalizer hitch on my last trailer, I switched to a Husky Centerline TS on my new Flagstaff 25BHS Micro Lite. The Husky is so much better. No screaming noises like my Equalizer, better set up on the trailer itself and the tool to pull the arms up also takes them off.

The dealership that I bought my trailer from didn't carry the Husky brand, so they had to special order it for me. The technician who installed it when I was picking my trailer up was extremely impressed with it and said he was going to recommend to the owner that they start carrying it.
Hornsky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #146

Quote:
No screaming noises like my Equalizer, better set up on the trailer itself and the tool to pull the arms up also takes them off.
My Equalizer never screams, and I've never had to use the tool. I just crank up the jack until they'll swing out. Sounds like maybe yours wasn't set up right?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #147

Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My Equalizer never screams, and I've never had to use the tool. I just crank up the jack until they'll swing out. Sounds like maybe yours wasn't set up right?

Same here. I have the tool... Never used it. I get an occasional "pop" when I make a slow turn, but that's music to my ears... I know it's doing its thing properly.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #148

Rob,

We are buying a new travel trailer and the 2504S is on the top of our list of preferences. We are also purchasing a new Durango RT with a tow package so we will likely end up with the same setup that you have.

We now own a 3000 lb, 20' Jayco and a tow with a Honda Ridgeline. Our current setup tows great - I've never experienced sway in the past seven years with several thousand miles on the road.

I know the Durango can handle toe weight but I'm a little concerned about length because of the tow vehicle wheelbase / trailer length ratio. Have you experienced any problems with sway? I plan to get to get a good hitch with sway control so I hope that mitigates any issues.

Thanks for any information.
TemeculaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #149

Hi, Dave.
This is our second season to tow the 2014 2504S with our 2013 Durango RT Hemi. Based on some of the calculations I've seen on the forum, the Durango doesn't have the wheelbase to tow a 25' camper. I think it was recommended that we top out at 21' or 22'. However, I previously towed a 21' camper with a shorter Highlander with no problems.

As you point out, the Durango has more than enough tow capacity (7,200 lbs.) for the 2504S. I have an Equalizer WDH and for the most part I tow with no problems. However, I can definitely tell that the camper is behind me. And the engine works hard on some of the larger Ozark mountains (large hills?) that we travel.

I do experience some sway but it's been pretty limited to either windy days (especially those dreaded crosswinds) or when the 18-wheelers fly by. I've felt unsafe only once on a particularly windy/stormy drive last year (we pulled over and let it pass). Also, I generally limit my speed to 60 mph. On occasion, I've drifted above 65 mph and felt some sway, so watch your speed closely. Most of our camping adventures range from 1.5-4.5 hours of travel time.

We camp frequently with another couple who usually follow us on the road. Because I can't see sway (only feel it), I've asked them to monitor the trailer to see if they notice any sway visibly. So far, they have not observed sway.

If you want to stick with an SUV there aren't too many options that get you a longer wheelbase than the Durango. The Suburban, Excursion and Navigator have versions with a longer wheelbase, and I'm sure there are a few more. But many of the SUVs that have a higher tow capacity and appear larger, actually have a shorter wheelbase. Plus, the Durango is much more affordable than most large SUVs and rated pretty well with Consumer Reports.

Bottom Line: you likely will feel some sway as I previously described, but I believe the Durango and 2504S work fine together. Your WDH will help ensure a safer, more pleasant towing experience.

Best wishes for a great towing/camping experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaDave View Post
Rob,

We are buying a new travel trailer and the 2504S is on the top of our list of preferences. We are also purchasing a new Durango RT with a tow package so we will likely end up with the same setup that you have.

We now own a 3000 lb, 20' Jayco and a tow with a Honda Ridgeline. Our current setup tows great - I've never experienced sway in the past seven years with several thousand miles on the road.

I know the Durango can handle toe weight but I'm a little concerned about length because of the tow vehicle wheelbase / trailer length ratio. Have you experienced any problems with sway? I plan to get to get a good hitch with sway control so I hope that mitigates any issues.

Thanks for any information.
RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #150

Rob,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I agree with everything you say about the Durango. It's reassuring to hear that the combination works for you. I am a very conservative driver when towing - I try to keep it at 55 and never go above 60. Weather here in Southern California is generally mild but we do like travel into the desert and mountains where there can occasionally be extreme conditions. I have no problem with pulling over and waiting it out in doubtful situations.

The Durango is on order and comes in on the 19th or so; we hope to get the new TT within a few weeks after that. I'll certainly post an update when we do.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #151

Hello all! New here but have been reading for some time.

My wife and I bought a brand new 2015 Rockwood Premier 2317G last June. Together with our two sons we camped in 9 states over the course of 32 nights and had an absolute blast. This year we decided that making (or breaking) camp in the rain is no fun, so we traded in the pop-up and got a 2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s last week! We couldn't be happier with this trailer, it's so nice. We got the Sapphire Edition, countertop extension, cherry wood, 15k AC, and a handful of other goodies. I drove from southeastern Ohio to just outside of Chicago to get it, it was the last one I could find that was remotely close (7 hours).

I do have one question (pfft, probably a hundred really), on the outside, drivers side rear, above where the electrical cord plugs in, up high, I have an antenna of sorts. It's small and black and can be extended like a cell phone antenna in the 90's. Any idea what this is? When I get home tomorrow I'll try and get a picture of it.
TheJamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #152

TheJamo...Congrats on the new TT! We love ours as well! I have a 2015 2504s and know what antenna you are speaking of. As far as i can tell, its for the radio, however it doesnt seem to be helpful. It only extends a few inches! If you determine something different, i would love to hear.
ACTKE2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #153

We're picking up a 2015 2504S this Saturday, after about 2 years with a 1905. Nothing wrong with the 1905, great little TT but just not enough room for us and our 2 small dogs.

Really love the layout of the 2504S, looking forward to a bit more elbow room We'll be pulling it with a 2001 F-150 that was marketed as a 'work truck' - greatly increased payload and towing capacity (to the tune of just over 8,000 lb) over the standard F-150 available at the time. We are getting an anti-sway installed on the trailer due to the extra length & height. Can't wait to transfer all of our gear over!

Mark
Mark29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #154

Not sure how to edit my original post, new 2504s is a 2016 not 2015.
TheJamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #155

We took delivery on a 2016 2503s on Tuesday, spent a couple nights in it to check everything out. We slept on the very comfortable murphy bed and enjoyed the A/C. Love it!! Everything worked but, will have to have a few small upgrades over the next couple weeks.
We bought it primarily to replace motel rooms when we travel. We have 3 week trip planned for late August-early September. Next summer we might try a trip to Alaska. Should be fun.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #156

Test Run of 2502S

We just completed our initial test run with a 10,500 trip out west from Florida. Had a few issues. TV was not connected to input jack outside, slide out fuse went. Hand cranked it till I found fuse under trailer. Two speakers did not work. Sticky screen door. Rear bumper failed, thin metal ripped apart with two spare tires and light load. Will get everything fixed. Trailer pulled well over very rough roads. Our 2005 2500hd GMC did well. Tightened trailer wheel lugs two times to 120fp per specs. All in all we are happy with the new TT. Perfect fit for two on our 50 th anniversary. Keeping the TT.
RETIREDATLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #157

Just purchased

We picked up our new Dodge Durango tow vehicle a few weeks ago and just purchased our trailer today. It's a 2016 2504s. Will be taking it home next Saturday and will likely take it out for a quick overnighter at a local campground.

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this forum and thread. I'll post photos of our first trip!

We just had to try out the ladder!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150801_140247.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	84760  
Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #158

Quote:
We picked up our new Dodge Durango tow vehicle a few weeks ago and just purchased our trailer today. It's a 2016 2504s. Will be taking it home next Saturday and will likely take it out for a quick overnighter at a local campground.

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this forum and thread. I'll post photos of our first trip!

Congrats on the new trailer! We love our 2504s!! Enjoy!
ACTKE2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #159

Quote:

Looks great. Now I wish I would have waited to get a version with the exterior ladder (and other improvements).

Hope you and your family enjoy your 2504s as much as we have enjoyed ours. Happy camping!

RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #160

We have taken ours on 3 trips so far and can only find one flaw in the design. The screen door is a pain to close. We bought a handle and wala! Problem solved. Floorplan is perfect. Storage is abundant and it trailers great with my F150 using an E2 wd hitch. Huge props to Forest River on this model.
vanreever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood