Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini-Lite 2505 rear camera

Hello all,

We've had our Mini-Lite for 2 full seasons and I was just readying it for this summer and noticed a camera box mounted on the rear near the roof! I can't tell if it has a cam, it's so dark tinted... anyone know about this? We didn't hear anything in our walkthrough..

Here's a link to a picture on my Google pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ug1tEVm13zlWuaYu2

I guess I'll have to unscrew it and see what's inside...

Thanks in advance,
Chris.
CA2FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

very common. its not the camera but a pre wired housing for it. Go get yourself a furion camera and monitor and go crazy
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Grammar Pedant

It's an incredibly common standard across the industry for trailers and motorhomes to be pre-wired for cameras. Same for solar, cable, and other things ... but let's stay on cameras.

There are some brand-specific nuances and some outright wiring mistakes, but the Mini Lites should be wired for power to the trailer's running lights. So, up top, there is just a mounting bracket and a connector carrying 12 VDC power.

The bracket is specific to Furrion products and I don't know if the wiring is also specific. Furrion isn't the only brand, of course, for backup cameras. But, again, I don't know if those other brands physically fit into the bracket on your trailer or if they accept the same power plug.

How it's supposed to work is that you purchase a camera, install it into the already-installed mount, plug it into the already-existing power connector, and away you go. Just remember that it's not a 100% full-time hot lead. It's connected to the running lights of the trailer. Therefore, you need to turn the lights on your TV to at least parking/running lights to get power back there.

Also, Furrion makes two types of cameras: Backup and Observation. The Backup is designed for backing up only -- slow speed, low demands on wireless signal. Observation is designed for use during all types of driving. There's about a $60 difference between them. Get the better Observation camera.

Street price for the Furrion FOS48TA-BL is around $360.

I have not used one, so I cannot comment with personal experience. I also cannot speak to any pros/cons of the Furrion vs other brands.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

67L48 pretty much covered it for Furrion. The observation camera is the preferred option by most. Its as simple as removing 4 screws from the bracket to remove the "blank" cover. There is a single wire in there, looks very similar to what you would see for the female side of a headphone extension cable. Just plug the camera cable into that, install the camera into the opening (same exact dimensions as the blank you removed, and install the same 4 screws you removed, and its done. Literally a 3 minute job.

Note (this was my experience with a 2018 Mini Lite)

Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

observation camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
It's an incredibly common standard across the industry for trailers and motorhomes to be pre-wired for cameras. Same for solar, cable, and other things ... but let's stay on cameras.

There are some brand-specific nuances and some outright wiring mistakes, but the Mini Lites should be wired for power to the trailer's running lights. So, up top, there is just a mounting bracket and a connector carrying 12 VDC power.

The bracket is specific to Furrion products and I don't know if the wiring is also specific. Furrion isn't the only brand, of course, for backup cameras. But, again, I don't know if those other brands physically fit into the bracket on your trailer or if they accept the same power plug.

How it's supposed to work is that you purchase a camera, install it into the already-installed mount, plug it into the already-existing power connector, and away you go. Just remember that it's not a 100% full-time hot lead. It's connected to the running lights of the trailer. Therefore, you need to turn the lights on your TV to at least parking/running lights to get power back there.

Also, Furrion makes two types of cameras: Backup and Observation. The Backup is designed for backing up only -- slow speed, low demands on wireless signal. Observation is designed for use during all types of driving. There's about a $60 difference between them. Get the better Observation camera.

Street price for the Furrion FOS48TA-BL is around $360.

I have not used one, so I cannot comment with personal experience. I also cannot speak to any pros/cons of the Furrion vs other brands.

Good luck.
the observation camera is great when driving. like a mirror in the back.
rfg
RFGTLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Thanks!

Thank you all! I just ordered the observation camera and monitor!
CA2FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGTLG View Post
the observation camera is great when driving. like a mirror in the back.
rfg
Speaking of mirrors....get yourself some heavy rubber bands or those ponytail things the ladies use and attach your monitor to your rearview mirror since you instinctively look there anyway to see what's behind you. Works like a charm and doesn't clutter up the dash.
Furrion Observation Camera
Goodyear Endurance Tires
dfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

I'm probably hijacking the thread here, but I also have that Furrion 'pre-mount' on my 2018 Grey Wolf.

While I'd have no objection to using that mount, I'd like to hook up my own camera - I already have one on my TV, my head unit will support two cameras, and finding out that Furrion wired the connection in series with the marker lamps all steer me away from using their solution.

I was going to try and wire my own solution up to that mount, but given how it was wired, will likely bypass it altogether, just like the solar 'pre-wire'. A shame.

Thanks to 67L48 for the specifics on the wiring info. Saved me a bit of frustration
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreeman View Post
Speaking of mirrors....get yourself some heavy rubber bands or those ponytail things the ladies use and attach your monitor to your rearview mirror since you instinctively look there anyway to see what's behind you. Works like a charm and doesn't clutter up the dash.

Had our owners orientation and inspection today for our new 2608SB. I bought the Furrion camera separately as it was considerably cheaper through Amazon. RV Tech installed the camera in the prewired bracket (yup, a 3 minute job) and the system worked perfectly. I have no problem powering it through the running lights, as it's a safe way to travel anyway and there is no other disconnect required to turn the camera OFF.

Interesting idea about strapping the camera to the mirror. I just tried it and it fits nicely in our RAM. If it works out, I'll spice in an extra length of power cord and hide the wire around the windshield and door moldings and under the dash to the 12V plug. I really don't like wires dangling from the roof or draped over the dash .... but that's just me.

Thanks for the idea.
john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a v View Post
Had our owners orientation and inspection today for our new 2608SB. I bought the Furrion camera separately as it was considerably cheaper through Amazon. RV Tech installed the camera in the prewired bracket (yup, a 3 minute job) and the system worked perfectly. I have no problem powering it through the running lights, as it's a safe way to travel anyway and there is no other disconnect required to turn the camera OFF.

Interesting idea about strapping the camera to the mirror. I just tried it and it fits nicely in our RAM. If it works out, I'll spice in an extra length of power cord and hide the wire around the windshield and door moldings and under the dash to the 12V plug. I really don't like wires dangling from the roof or draped over the dash .... but that's just me.

Thanks for the idea.
You might also check Tadibrothers.com for rear cameras and accessories.
richperkins47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #11

I have the RV-eye system in my Coachmen Freedom Express. It's a wifi system which uses my iPhone for the monitor thru the RV-eye app. I put my iPhone on a magnetic holder on my dash and it acts like a full time rear view camera. Have towed with it for three seasons and it works very well.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfreeman View Post
That's a great idea. I will try it next trip. Monitor is currently sitting in one of the drink holders and after a couple of hours on the road, wants to tilt over.

Thanks!!
razor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #13

I printed a holder..

https://i.imgur.com/fziECI3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fR0QyXO.jpg
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Great! I'll take one!
Furrion Observation Camera