Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S questions

Looking to upgrade from our hybrid trailer to a newer 2509S. I am trying to figure out the length and width of the bunks. Does anyone have dimensions? Also anyone with this model with a couple kids want to comment on how the layout is working for them? It seems like a good mix of sleeping and living space. I am tired of making up 4 beds every stop with our hybrid (we do a lot of one night camps) so bunks sound amazing but my kids are going to be tall (we have 3 - 8y, 10y and 12y) and I worry the bunks will feel like a cave.

Also, what is the height inside the trailer? Husband is 6' 5" and complains he cannot stand up fully in our trailer. I know his feet will be hanging off the end of the queen bed, LOL
kclarknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
Site Team

What will you be towing with, since you don't have it listed in your profile, nor your current hybrid.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #3

New dodge ram with the hemi. Believe tow capacity is 10,450. My hybrid is a 2007 starcraft ck19 (I think). Bought it used mostly for my husband's enduros but find that setting up 4 beds for one night at the site is a pain. Its small and super lightweight (3100) which I love but really want a fully enclosed unit.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclarknj View Post
New dodge ram with the hemi. Believe tow capacity is 10,450. My hybrid is a 2007 starcraft ck19 (I think). Bought it used mostly for my husband's enduros but find that setting up 4 beds for one night at the site is a pain. Its small and super lightweight (3100) which I love but really want a fully enclosed unit.
forget the towing capacity and focus on the truck's PAYL0AD capacity. it's on the driver's door yellow sticker. it'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs". the sticker may say "Tire and Loading".
your truck will run out of payload WAY coming close to the 10,450 number.

and don't use fictional "DRY" weight numbers. those are based on a stripped-down version of the trailer.
the Rockwood will be longer, wider and way heavier than the Starcraft.
What WDH are you using?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

I am 5’6” tall and I fit into both bunks with About 3” headroom and 3” foot room left. The ceiling is “domed” but it will not be enough for your husband.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclarknj View Post
Looking to upgrade from our hybrid trailer to a newer 2509S. I am trying to figure out the length and width of the bunks. Does anyone have dimensions? Also anyone with this model with a couple kids want to comment on how the layout is working for them?

Also, what is the height inside the trailer? Husband is 6' 5" and complains he cannot stand up fully in our trailer. I know his feet will be hanging off the end of the queen bed, LOL
Hey guys, here are the questions. There is no question about tow vehicle or hitches.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Here's a floorplan with dimensions.

I strongly encourage you to go do some shopping. Often, the super big RV dealerships are a good place to do casual shopping for these smaller trailers -- they're busy on weekends and most of the salespeople can't be bothered to help people with a $20K trailer when there are customers eyeballing $75K 5th wheels. So, you get to meander around, kick tires, and not have to worry about a sales person looking over your shoulder. I think I went to a Lazy Days dealer 2 times and never spoke to a salesperson. Loved it.

Anyway, actually stepping into these trailers will give you a much better feel for the dimensions, ceiling heights, and so on. For example, those wider bunks on the 2509S are only partially wider. They have that weird cut corner, which is terribly limiting in my experience. Better to experience those types of things first-hand rather than relying on images and dimensions.

Also, take a look at both Rockwood and Flagstaff dealers. Those two brands are identical, other than color schemes and branding. So, depending on where you're at, you may have better availability with one of those brands. E.g., your Rockwood dealer might be smaller and have no 2509S in stock, but your Flagstaff dealer might be larger and have a 25BRDS in stock. Same trailer, different decals and fabric prints.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. The one closest dealer does not have much stock and is not really that close so I will take a look at the 25BRDS as well. I am hoping to get to the Hershey show next week so I can check some of these out in person.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

I’m not sure what the actual interior height is, but I could measure it when I get home. I’m 6’ and have no problem walking around inside, including using the shower. I’ve also slept on the lower bunk a couple times and it’s ok.
Regarding space for a family, we really like it. It’s very comfortable for our family of four, with the two kids being 21 and 16. We generally spend most of our time outside when camping, but the couch and dinette offers enough seating if we are inside. We may upgrade to something bigger when we retire and are camping more long term, but we have been very happy with the 2509s!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Interior height is 80” in the middle of the trailer, and a few inches shorter at the walls. Find one (or its flagstaff cousin) and walk through it to really see what it’s like for yourselves.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #11

We have a 2509S and I'm 6'3". Not the same as 6'5", but I have plenty of headroom. We LOVE our 2509S! We bought this model because we wanted a unit where we could go camping by ourselves or take the grandkids and be comfortable in both situations. The bunks are a good size for smaller kids. Our oldest grandchild is 12.

RAM 1500's payload capacity is somewhere around 1620#. That should be PLENTY for a 2509S. Our tongue weight is 800#. In this scenario, you'd have 820# for weight of passengers, luggage, and anything else INSIDE your truck.

Good luck!

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, mini lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite