Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini Lite Roof and Floor concerns ?

We are very close to buying a new camper . We have narrowed our choices to a few makes . Rockwood/Flagstaff is one . On the forums here there are a few threads about the quality or lack of quality in the Rockwood roofs and floors. Some say you should not walk on a Rocwood mini lite roof because it doesn't have a ladder . They say its weak and flimsy . They say Rockwood says to not go on your roof if the trailer didn't come with a ladder .The floors are weak also . There is a thread or 2 about people adding structure to the floors. We are older folks who can't afford to make a mistake as this , very likely, will be the last camper we buy . Please help with some input on this . If you have other concerns about any part of these trailers please let us know ! If you own a Rockwood or maybe you didn't buy one because of concerns let us know why. We have to stay south of 5000lbs actual (as in real) UVW. We are considering the mini lite 2503S or the ultra lite 2304S . Thanks for all the input and we love this forum!
Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

I have been on the roof of the one in our signature & it was fine as is the floor. Been very pleased with "The Little One"

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Welcome Jim, check you PM box.
cantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
They say Rockwood says to not go on your roof if the trailer didn't come with a ladder .
Just a clarification, I own a Mini-Lite and my owner's manual says that you can go on the roof but if the unit does not come with a ladder then they recommend adding some plywood to help distribute the weight. I also called the factory about going on the roof and the rep said I should be fine to walk as normal with my weight (170 lbs. before wife's Christmas cookies...LOL). They added that language in the owner's manual to protect themselves as not everyone weighs the same so use your discretion.

I love our unit and bought it because of the floorplan and features. There just wasn't a unit that we liked better for the size and weight. So far it has been great but I have felt a difference in the floor from our previous stick and tin model that had a solid plywood floor. It's not bad but it just doesn't have that firm "hardwood floor" feeling of the previous one. I don't regret getting this unit for a minute though. Good luck with your decision!!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

all the mini lites have sandwich core type of floor and roof. Two sheets of luan: top and bottom with foam core. (approx 1.5 to 2 inch). I go on my roof with no problem but on the ETC models there is a fiberglass outer sheet but on other mini the roof is TPO style . This construction makes for a lighter trailer. They are great little trailers and I would like to move up to the 2503S which is perfect couples trailer. Best of luck in your selection
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

We have a 2304s Ultralite and love it. No floor or roof issues, feels very solid. We have a ladder. FYI the ultralites have features the minilites do not, such as enclosed underbelly, day/night shades in place of curtains, etc., etc. We looked at both models but the 2304s felt like a much larger trailer with the huge dinette slide compared to the 2503s minilite. The Murphy bed is super easy to use, the only issue being it is a bit high off the floor, so requires a bit of agility if you are short! The bathroom on both models is nice and big, but the 2304s has the toilet off to the side, so you are not looking at "the throne" if you want to leave the BR door open to get more light from the nice big back window! Just my 2 cents worth.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Do your homework, FarmerJim, on the light weight models and their construction.
You'll want to consider how you will use your unit in regards to non-plywood floors. Take your time if this is your last camper to buy, especially if you don't want a unit that will require surgery to fix structural items.
Good Luck

Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

I recently toured the RW/Flagstaff plant. The rep talked about the weak floor issue. It has been addressed. Rockwood now uses 1/4 Luan on top and bottom of the floor/roof panel. Also has aluminum joists 16" on center. I would not be concerned about this as this change took place a couple years ago and since then it hasn't been an issue.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies ! Please keep them coming as we are getting close to decision time on which trailer to buy . This forum is great! Jim
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Jim, also note the AC ducting is in the roof so be aware of those routing areas. I use an 8' alum step ladder to keep away from the gel coat and wear socks minus the shoes, also if you have any tools with you layout a small rug to protect the roof covering. Don't forget your beer.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #11

So .... the beer isn't optional its standard with the trailer ? Talk about value !Maybe I won't mention this to the wife! Jim
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

She might take the ladder and leave you up there so make sure you bring extra beer. They can be real mean!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #13

Would the weight of a fully stocked cooler with say 12 beers and ice with 1 man (about 185 lbs) be O.K. on a 2503S roof ? Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #14

Hope I can get some more input on this ....... Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #15

We have 2304s. Love it perfect for 2. Dh has been on roof several times with no problems . We use our trailer alot so we have noticed a couple of soft spots on floor but we noticed the spots are where the bed rests and places we stand alot. These areas are very small quarter size. Would buy another in a heartbeat thats how happy we are!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #16

Wish I could get some info on "exactly" what structure IS in the roof, floor, and walls . Doesn't seem to me to be asking much . But try as I may I cannot get a straight answer from anywhere I've looked . Looking for pictures , diagrams, drawings etc. of the structure . We are ready to buy but now I'm getting "cold feet" because of this issue. The forum has been wonderful ! Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #17

On page 11 of the Rockwood Minilite-Ultralite-Roo 2013 brochure (available online) it shows in pictures exactly what goes into the construction (6 sides, walls, floor and ceiling).
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
On page 11 of the Rockwood Minilite-Ultralite-Roo 2013 brochure (available online) it shows in pictures exactly what goes into the construction (6 sides, walls, floor and ceiling).
Thanks , but I want more exact info . How far apart are the Roof rafters ? How far apart are the floor joists? How far apart are the wall studs? Can you hang a T.V. on any wall (inside or outside wall) . Why do so many people talk about soft spots ? Listen , I know they don't use the building methods of the past . I AM looking for a "lite" trailer . I know it won't consist of 2x4's 16" on center .We have owned campers our whole lives . Probably 10+ . We have owned 3 new ones. ! A 37+foot 5th wheel with a diesel truck . Towed coast to coast . Tore apart campers put them back together . Dismantled campers and changed the layout. Replaced entire rubber roofs and framing . I just want to make a educated buying decision. Page 11 is generic and you can't anywhere that I know find a drawing or photos of these trailer frames. The whole frame. not a component of the frame. My Jayco designer 5th wh had virtually the same roof as Rockwood/Flagstaff . BUT ,I could find and did find pictures and diagrams of the frame. I knew where there were aluminum frame members . Still can on a Jayco. But we DO want to buy a Rockwood . But only after we get some answers This forum is great , thanks for all the help. Jim .
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #19

Let me explain this a little better . We loved our Jayco Designer 34RLQS . It had a few problems but minor . Then after a couple years ( Jayco had a 2 yr warranty then) some bad things happened . I am anal about weights so before the weight police get started I weigh it many times at the truck scales . It was never overloaded .It was never on rough roads or flexed in any way .It developed a crack on the side of the trailer by the part right behind the tailgate (when hooked up) but on the upper side of the trailer . The part behind where the upper bedroom window is . The crack was vertical . The fiberglass cracked . It was a problem in more than one brand of 5th wheel. Jayco said bring it to the factory . I did take it to Goshen Indiana . They cut the crack in a straight line and installed a trim piece to hide the crack . On side but not on the other side . Other side wasn't cracked but now the two sides didn't match . The frame had a problem but was never really fixed . This 5th wheel I bought new . The msrp was north of $75000. I don't think that was right . Do you think I EVER was comfortabe about towing that trailer again ?Yes the warranty was past but this was a structural fault . It occurred on many of their 5th wheels . And other brands too. Still does today on some . This is why I want to know more about the frame on this Rockwood before I buy it!! Jim
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Given your concern over the structure and frame I don't understand why you're determined to buy a lightweight camper...it doesn't fit your requirements. You're better off buying a camper built by converntional construction with 5/8 plywood floors and 3000+ lbs carrying capacity. If it has that amount of CCC, you know that it's robust construction compared to campers with CCC that are 1/2 or 1/3 of that.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote