Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini-Lite vs. Jayco JayFeather

Hi Gang,

My 2nd post here, so please take it easy on me. I've had 4 Jaycos over the years, right now I don't have any RV at all. My wife and I are considering a new travel trailer sometime towards the end of this year or the beginning of next year. So I'm starting to do my research.

I have a pretty good handle on Jayco quality and differences within their model lines, but here on the Rockwood side I am at ground 0. I can't get a whole lot of information of the Rockwood website as far as construction, quality, etc. So I'm turning here.

I'm towing w/ a 2017 F150, Ecoboost 3.5 w/ the 3.55 rear end. Cargo capacity is 1818, but I figure its closer to 1700 as my bedliner and tonneau aren't light. I'm looking at the Mini-Lite because I won't be stressing the limits of my TV.

Is the Mini-Lite built particularly well? Is the build quality lesser or cheaper then the regular Rockwood Ultra Lites? I see FR went to the front windshield look - I can't tell if its on the murphy bed models or not. Seems stupid to me to have it on a murphy bed model as you would think the window would only show when the bed is deployed. Most of the time you'd enjoy the window the bed would be stowed up.

I know the JayFeather still uses Luan flooring (and I hate it - soft spots galore even if its dry). I keep reading that Rockwood is a better quality product overall and the MSRP seems to try to say the same thing. On the flipside Jayco would have you believe they're more confidant in their product as the warranty is longer.

Can you guys shed some insight, maybe help me out a little? Thanks !
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

Still in the research phase as well and have the exact TV as you except my payload is a little lower at 1748 (not sure why that is ..lol)

I was very interested in the Jay Feather 23RBM and after checking them out in person at the recent RV show, my overall impression was the fit and finish was superior in the Rockwoods. And I agree about the floor construction. I also find they have more options for couples trailers that would work for us.

I participate in a number of other forums (Keystone, Winnebago etc) and it seems owners report a lot of similar problems across all manufacturers.

You will no doubt get lots of useful feedback here from long time owners as this is a great group. There is another very helpful Rockwood Mini Lite group on Facebook too.

Best of luck!
JaysFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Canadian Member

You can download the brochures for all the different lines (Roo, Mini-Lite, Ultra Lite and Signature Ultra Lite) to see if they are different.

My understanding is that all Rockwoods are built pretty much the same structurally - fully aluminum framed, vacuum bonded walls, tongue and groove plywood floors, Dexter Torflex axles etc.) but the level of the interior trim and luxuries will vary. But check the brochures to see if that's correct. Within each line, you can order many options.

I've never owned a Jayco but I've toured through many of them at dealers and RV shows and I think the Rockwood is a better fit and finish.

Rockwood also has a decent reputation for after-sales support from the factory. However, the dealer may not be as wonderful. When looking for a new trailer, my order of decision-making would be to pick a floorplan first, then a manufacturer/brand that offers that floorplan, then the dealer selling that brand. BTW, the Flagstaff brand is the same trailer with different graphics and fabric choices but there aren't as may Flagstaff dealers around.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

When we were looking, DW and I always felt that the Jaycos felt "cheap." Don't know why off hand, we just felt that way inside them.

Plus: The Mini Lites went to 5/8" plywood floors about a year or so ago.

Minus: The Mini Lite fresh water tank supports leave something to be desired. A number of folks have had them fail. Beefing up is relatively easy, though. Do a search of FW tank supports.

Based on comments here on the forum, those with the new units with the front window seem to be happy with them. (One guy has reported a delamination of the glass, though.) Also it seems to provide a few more inches of room on the tongue for additional batteries/tool boxes.

I think they're all crapshoots; the plywood floor is really the only thing that would sway me. We had a couple issues with ours, but overall, we're happy with it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

I've always been a fan of the MiniLite line and found them to be well built and well designed. My mom had one- now a Class C owner- and some good friends of ours own one. I almost purchased one last Fall until I found out they went to the new design. The floorplan we wanted had a Murphy bed, which made the front window 100% useless for me. Would actually allow some light in when the bed was down, which is a negative. On top of that, I'm betting that the only place you could get that window is through Rockwood. What happens 5 years from now if you catch a rock and crack that thing and Rockwood has moved on to a different design? I found that the potential issues far outweighed any possible benefits (of which I saw none on the Murphy bed models) and bailed. Really disappointed me because I like everything else about the Rockwood and loved the floorplan we were looking at. Others can see benefits and aren't as worried about that big front window- so if you can get past that I think the MiniLite is a great camper.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #6

My husband and I looked at the JayFeather line and liked them. We then went to look at Mini Lites and they just seemed nicer. We also liked the floorpans better. We spent some time on forums for different brands and found good and bad everywhere - nothing stood out to us that made us feel one brand won out significantly over the others. A lemon can come out of any factory, but most people are pretty happy with their campers.

In the end we felt we'd get more bang for our buck with a Mini Lite so that's what we bought. I'll say we weren't keen on the window behind the Murphy bed either. We bought one of the last old style versions.
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

I thought the White Hawk line was closer to the Rockwood line, for fit, finish, and apparent quality. To me, the Jay Feather was just a small step down.

But, there weren't really any flooplans that I liked, so I didn't spend much time with Jayco.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #8

That’s what I’m finding. 26’ is about as long as I want to go with my 1/2 ton - Rockwood has a lot to choose from. Jayco doesn’t.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I've never owned a Jayco but I've toured through many of them at dealers and RV shows and I think the Rockwood is a better fit and finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
When we were looking, DW and I always felt that the Jaycos felt "cheap." Don't know why off hand, we just felt that way inside them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
We then went to look at Mini Lites and they just seemed nicer.
Pretty much my experience as well. I owned a Mini Lite and the construction is fairly on par with my Ultra Lite. I looked at a few with my inlaws at an RV show a few years back. They had always been Jayco people and even they commented on the "cheap" feel. Not so much in construction...just an overall feeling as far as interiors went.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #10

My DW and I purchased our Mini-Lite (2104S) last summer and have been very pleased with the fit and finish. Ours has the murphy-bed, but the trailer doesn't have the front window (which makes sense). Of the models we looked at, at the time, none of the models with murphy-beds had front windows.

I can't personally speak to the quality of Jaycos, as compared to Rockwoods or other brands/models, but have heard from several other owners that the Rockwoods are of better quality. Although the 2104S is relatively small, we've had a number of other owners who have been impressed with the quality of the trailer and the amenities it came with. As my DW and I view more and more trailers, we find ourselves looking at more expensive units and noticing that our components and features are often times better than the more expensive ones. All in all, I have no complaints with our Rockwood Mini-Lite and if I were to do it all over again... I'd not hesitate getting another one.

Good luck on your purchase.

Marc
Old 02-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Traded in a 32 ft. Rockwood Signature (we loved but more trailer than we needed) last year and got a 2017 25 ft. Mini-lite model 2507. Spent 59 nights out last year throughout New England. Great unit. Headed to the pan-handle in April. We will be on the road for 1 1/2 months. We think we have almost as much storage space with this as we did with out 2008 Signature. Over the years have had 5 different Rockwood units from pop-ups to this new unit. Always pleased but having a good dealer is very important because there will be issues over the years and they can make it so much easier. Good luck.
Aucoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #12

While you are doing some research, be sure to check our the Surveyor 200MBLE. We bought ours about a year ago, pull it with the same TV you have and we love it. We too looked at the Rockwoods but think the Surveyor has a superior build, not to mention is amazingly well laid out and roomy. The MBLE has the murphy bed over the sofa and a dinette on a slide--lots of counter space and amazing amount of storage in big bathroom. Check it out here: . You can read all about Surveyor build on there website. They have a video that walks you through the entire build process. Good luck.
BaltimoreBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #13

I hope i don't come off sounding rude, but in my opinion there is no comparison between the quality of a Rockwood vs a Jayco. We owned a Jayco pop up for 10 years, then decided we needed to upgrade. Prior to ordering our new mini lite 2509s last month, I researched all makers with similar floor plans for over a year. We also rented Jaycos for 2 long trips during that time. Through all that, I found the quality of the Rockwood brand to be far better than Jayco. From the quality of Rockwoods floors and better axles, and the way down to little things like pull out drawers under the dinette instead of plastic bins and Maxxair fans instead of a cheap little vent fan that doesn't move any air.

We spent time inside many different models at different dealerships in our area. Both brands have floor plans that are similar in price. In our price point, Rockwood was the clear choice for us.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find the right one for you!
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Based on comments here on the forum, those with the new units with the front window seem to be happy with them. (One guy has reported a delamination of the glass, though.)
I think they're all crapshoots; the plywood floor is really the only thing that would sway me. We had a couple issues with ours, but overall, we're happy with it.
I’d be the guy with the front window issue. It has a white cloud between the layers and a warranty claim has been filed by the dealer to replace the glass. We're waiting on that now.

As far as Jayco vs Rockwood...I can’t really say yet. I’ve owned a Jayco Jayflight trailer that was flawless and also a Greyhawk Kodiak Super C motorhome that was a good unit in spite of one leak that cost a couple thousand dollars. I kept it ten years. My Mini Lite has only been used three nights and it’s in storage now waiting for glass and nicer weather.

I agree it’s all a crap shoot. One can follow another off the same line and be crap. I’ve had RV's for 40 yrs and always said if a person had any brains at all, they wouldn’t ever buy an RV...or a boat....and I’ve done both, so what’s that say about me :-)
Ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #15

I've owned 3 travel trailers over the past 10 years. My first, a Jayco , plagued me with leaks, one in the front bedroom (window), and two in the rear (window over bunks). My second camper, 19 foot Ascend (191RB) by Evergreen was flawless. Sold this one to purchase a camper with a slide. Just recently bought (Oct 17) a new 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104S, had the first leak at the top marker lights within 48 hours of purchase. The second leak was just fixed on top (front cap) needed lap sealant. Not disappointed in my new Mini Lite, covered under warranty and the dealership has been superb in getting my unit in, fixed, and documented in case of any delamination. I still like the Rockwood best, but just goes to show you that in this business, nothing is guaranteed.
Doublej111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #16

I recently had the same decision in November between Rockwood and Jayco. Now we were looking at Hybrids but I feel the Rockwood Roo’s are built similar to the Rockwood Minis. I do agree that the Rockwoods felt like they were built better than the Jayco’s we looked at. I also really liked the Rockwood’s maple cabinetry and the Mocha decor. It makes it feel really bright inside and that’s what I want when I’m camping.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #17

The big issue I have with most forest river products is how the side storage near the head of the bed goes straight down, vs jaycos where it stops above the bed and there is shelf. Less claustrophobic.
Danx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
Site Team

IMHO, Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers seem to have a higher end finish, than similar priced Jaycos.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #19

I would agree from what I've seen so far that the Rockwood lines seems more solid, better thought out. I'm heading to the RV show by me in 2 weeks so hopefully I'll be able to walk a few models that interest me from both sides.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #20

I have never owned a Jayco. My neighbor bought one two years ago and has been plagued with problems. No problems with my Rockwood and he likes it better.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, rockwood