Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Rockwood Queen Bed Question

Has anyone put a memory foam topper on the bed? About one foot of the bed goes under the wardrobe when the slide is closed and I was concerned about if it would cause a problem with the extra height on the mattress.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We traded the mattress with an orthopedic one and the end, still, lifts up to get to the hidden trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Thank you for the response. Lifting the bed is not the concern as the weight is okay. My concern is that the top of the current mattress rubs against the wardrobe when the slide closes. I'm thinking about cutting off the end of the foam topper if I put one on or I will need to fold the end up.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

I do not have a rockwood but I have an RV queen but my topper was for a regular queen. I just trimmed the topper so I wouldnt have the "bunch up" at the bottom of the bed. I just tried to cut as straight as possible.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejumper View Post
About one foot of the bed goes under the wardrobe when the slide is closed and I was concerned about if it would cause a problem with the extra height on the mattress.
If we have the same mattress, its pretty snug under the wardrobe of the 8329.
I would think you would want to roll the bottom of the topper away from the wardrobe when the BR slide comes in.

Might be better to look for a memory foam mattress of the same thickness.
Amazon has several with free shipping in 12, 10 and 8 inch thickness that seem to get good reviews.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

I don't have a Rockwood, but I did just put a 4" memory foam topper on my RV queen bed. It may hang over a bit on the sides and bottom, but it doesn't cause any problems for me. The foam is so soft and pliable I doubt it can be damaged at all. My regular mattress fits up close to the wardrobe when the slide is closed. The foam topper is beyond wonderful to sleep on. I have one at home and getting a good night's rest is beyond important. I got mine at overstock dot com, they have some good deals and a good selection. Mine in the camper is a 4" thickness with the egg-crate style on one side. Worth every penny!
Good luck with yours!
Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

What the OP is saying is that his camper has a wardrobe slide in the bedroom - I have the same thing in my Flagstaff 26RLWS - and when pulled in the wardrobe slides over the top of the bed. It's a pretty tight fit as is, so the height of a mattress topper might be problematic.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

I have a Windjammer 3008 with the queen slide out where the food of the bed goes under the wardrobe when the slide is in. We have the Serta mattress. I put a 2 inch memory foam pad on top and it works OK. The motion of the slide is such that it rides in at a slightly lower level and rises up just as it comes home. With the pad on top, it just clears the wardrobe on the in movement, then compresses a little when it rises up. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't think a thicker pad would work however.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #9

I put a full queen foam IKEA mattress on my 27VRL. When I pull in the slide I just hold up the end of the mattress, bedding and all up and my DW pushes the button. Once is is in the mattress rests against the wardrobe. Not a problem for me, never use the lift up feature of the bed only outside access to storage compartment. Wouldn't even consider trimming a mattress.
Had the same mattress on a short queen in a Jayco. Pull the lower mattress 6" from the wall and mate up at the foot of the bed. Way comfortable!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

Pashooter and Hunterrick both describe exactly what I'm trying to say. I think that I will try a thin topper, perhaps 1 1/2" or consider a foam mattress. I'm happy with the Serta that came with it and just wanted to improve it some more. Thanks to all for your responses and ideas!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #11

We have a memory foam topper on our 8314BSS and what you say is correct. The end of the mattress slides under the edge of the bureau. We just fold the end of the bedding and memory foam back over on top of the bed before we bring the slide in. Works perfect every time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, rockwood