Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

Rockwood Roo 21SS refrigerator

Hello everyone

Heading out on our virgin voyage in a few days. From what I can tell, my refrigerator runs only on AC or gas. Unlike my pop-up that I could run on battery when traveling!

What do people do when traveling? Will the refrigerator (and freezer) stay cold enough during travel?

Any input is welcome?

~ Kathy
KFenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

Many of us just leave it running on propane - others disagree and insist that propane must be turned off when travelling. Guess it's up to the individuals decision. Also, if your route includes ferries and some tunnels, it may be unlawful to keep the propane turned on.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #3

That is the subject of many heated discussions. ON or OFF propane when towing. There are 2 schools. My fridge is on propane when I tow, and it stays very cold.

Many leave their fridge on AUTO, like I do.

That means: if it find AC (120V) it runs on electricity, and falls back to Propane when disconnected.

I do turn it off, prior to fueling the tow vehicle, but admittedly I will sometimes forget.

12V would do a poor job with our larger fridges.

My humble opinion: leave it on if you travel long distances and in warm weather, do turn it off when refueling.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Site Team

if it's a short trip, let it chill overnite and it'll stay cool enough till you get to the campground.

for longer trips, i run it on propane and have no problems with doing it that way. the vast majority of RV'ers do the same thing.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

We just took our new 21SS out for back to back weekends. One dry camping so used propane for fridge and the other had 30 amp service so used electric. Both kept fridge at or below 40degrees F and freezer at or around 3 degrees F. Both times left in on propane while traveling.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone that responded to my question. I was wondering if people did in fact travel with the propane on. We're not traveling too far so I think I'll keep the propane off this time. Makes me too nervous!

Thank you again!
KFenlon is offline   Reply With Quote