Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Rockwood Service

We just had our local dealer perform warranty work on our A-frame. We have concerns with the attitude and work quality. Anyone else have these concerns?
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

You didn't say, did you buy the unit from that dealer? If so, there's no excuse for them not bending over backward to make you a satisfied customer. Most dealerships live or die by word-of-mouth advertising.
That being said, shops are reimbursed by the manufacturer at a lower rate than they charge the out-of-warranty customers. (This is true in the auto industry as well.) My dealer's service manager told me they can actually lose money on a repair if it is complex and time consuming. The difference is made up by eating into the profit they made on the sale.
If you bought your trailer from someone else, there is no profit cushion and they will lose money working on your trailer.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteln View Post
We just had our local dealer perform warranty work on our A-frame. We have concerns with the attitude and work quality. Anyone else have these concerns?
I can safely say- my selling dealer was a disappointment when it came to warranty/service concerns. Fortunately, my warranty is up and they're 2 1/2 hours away so I don't have to go back.

If you're still under warranty, you can likely contact Rockwood to have them help you find another local dealer who is willing to take on the work.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:

We just took our Roo in for some warranty issues. We picked it up in April, and over the course of the summer have developed a list of about a dozen little items that need to be taken care of. From previous experience with 2 other dealers, we knew taking it in during the busy summer season meant they would probably be slow in getting it turned around or rush the job. Neither seemed like a good option, so we waited until the end of the season to take it in.

When we got there Saturday, they wrote up my list, and some of these things were pretty minor - loose trim, etc that I really could have fixed, but we had one major item (a bunk door latch pulling loose from the outside wall) that I really wanted fixed by a pro. No eye rolling as she wrote up everything. Then I asked about looking at the stuff with a service tech, just to explain things. No problem - she paged one of the techs, and he was very patient in going through everything. Even added a couple more things, including the wiggely dinette table. I made a remark about how this poor design was not typical of the rest of the trailer, not expecting them to do anything since it is just a poor design. He said they get that complaint all the time and one of the guys in the shop is a master at dis-assembling the tables and rebuilding them to take some of that wobble out.

I just got a good feeling from them. These little issues all seemed like things they frequently dealt with and they had plenty of experience fixing them. And they seemed like they only cared about making sure everything was fixed - no sense at all like they felt some of the things were petty or we were nit-picking.

And if you have them winterize it, they will schedule it so you can be there and the tech will show you everything they do. Kind of a "hands-on training" so when I do it on my own in the future I'm not wondering if I missed any steps. Plus they had a great deal on covers - matched CW's sale price and had them in stock. So I bought my cover there instead of ordering it. So even if they don't make anything on the warranty work - they still got some extra $$ out of it, and a happy customer.

Of course, I shouldn't count my chickens yet - we'll see how how they do on the repairs. But as far as attitude and concerns about their ability - feeling pretty good so far...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Quality of work I can understand, but not the attitude. The last time I was at my dealer they had just about all new repair people. They told me some quit and some were fired. The only good thing about my dealer is they send everyone to classes. in fact they said they had 3 that week in classes on the A/C and Refers. They make sure they are trained a positive for them. My 2 hour job took 4 hours, the service manager was teaching them at that time (on the job). They charged me for an 1 1/2 hours for the labor. The service manager helped and taught them. He asked if it was okay with me and I said sure, I have nowhere to go. But I know it's right, that's just how they run there dealership. I'll probably get my hand slapped for this by the Forum but the dealer is RVOUTLET in Ringgold Va. They are great and say nobody will beat there price, they also still are selling over a hundred units a month mostly the big toy haulers they have over 250 in stock alone. I guess they are doing something right. In short it all comes down to the dealer not the brand.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #6

So glad you have a responsible dealer. My job today is trying to get the caulk off the windows where they weren't careful. A six year old could have done a better job. I took pictures and would like to send them to Rockwood, but I can't find contact infornation.
Barteln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
So glad you have a responsible dealer. My job today is trying to get the caulk off the windows where they weren't careful. A six year old could have done a better job. I took pictures and would like to send them to Rockwood, but I can't find contact infornation.

Did you show the pictures to the owner/manager of the dealership? They might be as unhappy with the quality of work as you are.

If they passed on the chance to make it right, then by all means send your concerns to somebody at FR.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
But I know it's right, that's just how they run there dealership. I'll probably get my hand slapped for this by the Forum but the dealer is RVOUTLET in Ringgold Va. They are great and say nobody will beat there price, they also still are selling over a hundred units a month mostly the big toy haulers they have over 250 in stock alone. I guess they are doing something right. In short it all comes down to the dealer not the brand.
No hand-slapping here. I was going to ask who the dealership was! I'm just sad that they're 5 hours away from me.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
So even if they don't make anything on the warranty work - they still got some extra $$ out of it, and a happy customer.
And a loyal customer, too. That's why some dealerships thrive while others struggle to survive.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood