Old 03-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #31

I ordered mine with the slide toppers. Much cheaper than doing it at the dealer but you can save a little by doing it yourself. The topper itself is pretty expensive.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #32

This is the exact picture I want to see, just the wrong trailer! From what I have read 5th wheels are diffrent then travel trailers due to the taller arched roof.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #33

I have ordered an 8312ss as well! We cannot wait to receive our TT. I am a little unsure about my tow vehicle. I will be using a chev silverado 1500 5.3l 3.73gears. Has anyone had any experience using the similar vehicle to pull 7000lbs dry?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selib1 View Post
I have ordered an 8312ss as well! We cannot wait to receive our TT. I am a little unsure about my tow vehicle. I will be using a chev silverado 1500 5.3l 3.73gears. Has anyone had any experience using the similar vehicle to pull 7000lbs dry?
I think the tongue weight will exceed your trucks capacity. The dry tongue is 930lbs. Load that with a battery and 2 tanks of propane and your camping gear and more than likely you will be around 8k lbs loaded(depending on how you pack and more if you carry water) and tongue will probably be 1050-1200lbs. Way more than a 1500 can handle. Too much weight for the trailer to unless you are going to campgrounds a few miles from home. IF you have hills/mountains you will not like the towing experience. Sorry that this is not what you want to hear but this TT is 3/4 territory.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #35

I have the same concerns. I have a Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi Heavy Duty. I am not as concerned with the truck handeling the weight, more along the lines of the engine being able to handle the trailer up hill! My friend has a large Jayco 35ft dry weight over 7000. He pulls it with an Escalade which is on the 1/2 frame. His only issues were corrected with a good equalizer hitch and sway control. His Ecalade does have a larger engine 6.0 or 6.2 can't remember. My trailer will be here is 7 more weeks so I will let you know how my truck does! I have upgraded the truck with a cold air intake and have gotten a Bully Dog preformance programer, and Equalizer Brand Equalizer 4 point hitch. The Bully Dog is supposed to add more HP + up to 30ftlb of torque. We will see, it has inpoved my gas mileage already up 3+mpg.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMT View Post
I have the same concerns. I have a Dodge 2500 5.7 Hemi Heavy Duty. I am not as concerned with the truck handeling the weight, more along the lines of the engine being able to handle the trailer up hill! My friend has a large Jayco 35ft dry weight over 7000. He pulls it with an Escalade which is on the 1/2 frame. His only issues were corrected with a good equalizer hitch and sway control. His Ecalade does have a larger engine 6.0 or 6.2 can't remember. My trailer will be here is 7 more weeks so I will let you know how my truck does! I have upgraded the truck with a cold air intake and have gotten a Bully Dog preformance programer, and Equalizer Brand Equalizer 4 point hitch. The Bully Dog is supposed to add more HP + up to 30ftlb of torque. We will see, it has inpoved my gas mileage already up 3+mpg.
It not the engine really although your HEMI will be much better than the 5.3 it is the 1/2 ton he has vs. your 3/4 ton. You are in a much better towing position than the poster with the 1/2 ton and 5.3. I would be looking for a new TV or downgrade trailers.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #37

What is your Dodge rated for? You should be more than fine! How about the cost to the performance parts, pricey? Your buddy with the escalade is interesting I have never seen one tow much of anything before, (makes me feel a bit better) Probably looks pretty cool. I as well will be using the equalizer brand hitch, hopefully get through the year don't want to have to upgrade truck as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #38

The question on the Dodge rating is a good one, it depends on what website you look at and or Dealer you call. From the research I have done and people I called they have told me 12,000 to 15,000 which seams very, very high to me, I am guessing it is total combined weight even through the dealer told me that was maximum towing weight for the 06 Dodge 2500 Heavy duty Hemi 5.7. Mega Cab SLT. As for hitch weight that depends on the class rating of your hitch, I was told that with a distribution hitch added you take a significant amount of weight off the tongue and distribute across both axles. I went to a large RV show in Spokane Washington a little over a month ago. One of the Rockwood dealers had a big sign up that said 1/2 ton pullable on a Rockwood 8319ss. I talked to him about it as I never believe a word a salesman tells me. After our talk he admitted that he wouldn't go with anything less then a 3/4 ton but did say that a "properly equipped," 1/2 ton would do it. So what is properly equipped???? As for the performance upgrades on my truck. Shop around online. I believe I got my cold Air intake from JC Whitney for about $220.00 on sale with promo codes! and my Bully Dog GT was $335.00. Have they or will they help??? The intake gained about 1+mpg and some definite horsepower. It also required ear protection in the cab when you hit the gas or go up a hill. So probably not worth it. The Bully Dog seems to be worth it so far. Better idle and throttle response, better HP, better mpg but probably from the driving instructor program that beeps at you every time you drive wrong! I wouldn’t put any money into your truck until you know you can pull it and then only to make life a little better! The Escalade did look cool pulling the Jayco, but it was more of a status thing, probably the same reason I went with a Rockwood SS vs a Keystone Bullet! this will be his 3rd year with that Tow Vehicle. I too do not want to upgrade my truck as I really like it and it’s paid off!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #39

Funny comment on the uphill climb with the earplugs in!! When is you delivery date? Apparently mine is the middle of May seems like a long time away although there is still tonnes of snow here. I am guessing the Keystone bullet is a pretty large step below the SS? I had to google it, as I haven't seen any of those around here.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #40

May 12th, we ordered it on Feb 7th. We ordered it through a dealership about 300 miles away from where we live. I have no clue if May 12th is the day we can pick it up at the dealer or if that is when it is done at the factory. I too wish the wait wasn't so long. We cleaned out our old camper and sold it, now we have a ton of stuff in our shed that always seems to be in the way. I would really like to transfer it to the new camper. Not to mention all of the new stuff I have already purchased like vent covers that are taking up a ton of room. Good things come to those who wait!

Tags
8312ss