Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Rockwood Signature 8312SS Owners

Just purchased a Rockwood 8312SS and love the two slide option. My kids have their own space and I love never having to cook inside with the outdoor kitchen option. Plus the second door directly into the bathroom is a must with kids! We were originally looking at the bullet premier 31bhs, but other than the fancy exterior, it left us wanting more inside.

Would love to hear from those who own this model and there experiences so far. Have heard from several dealers that they're flying off the lots. The outside kitchen was a must for us and after searching all the lightweight models, this one had everything we were looking for.
texansinmaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansinmaryland View Post
Just purchased a Rockwood 8312SS and love the two slide option. My kids have their own space and I love never having to cook inside with the outdoor kitchen option. Plus the second door directly into the bathroom is a must with kids! We were originally looking at the bullet premier 31bhs, but other than the fancy exterior, it left us wanting more inside.

Would love to hear from those who own this model and there experiences so far. Have heard from several dealers that they're flying off the lots. The outside kitchen was a must for us and after searching all the lightweight models, this one had everything we were looking for.
We hope to put a deposit down on this model this week. We love the 2 slides and still staying under 34'. What options did you get? We are looking at every available option on ours even a 2nd FAntastic fan. Where did you purchase. What interior color. We are debating Cherry or Tuscan Cream with the Charleston Interior? How was your PDI? Tks and congrats
cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

We purchased from Economy RV in in Mechanicsville, MD. Our trailer is in the MD RV show this week so we're counting down the days to get it back. We have the oak/westport option. I love the tuscan, and would go with this over the darker woods (less scratches or imperfections will show). These trailers come so loaded out, but I had maxxair vents added, satellite, and electric jack. The only thing I would change on this trailer is trade out the futon mats in the back for another air bed sofa. I figure I'll use them until they wear out. We should take final delivery right around the 1st of March. Cant wait!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

oh yeah, the dealer ordered this tt with slide awnings as well - nice bonus.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Question Questions on a Forest River Rockwood Ultralite 8312SS

Hello All-

We have also been seriously looking at a 8312SS. We are planning to upgrade from our Rockwood Roo 23SS Hybrid. While at the RV show over this past weekend, I noticed a few issues with similar floorplans from other manufacturers. I have a few questions that I am unable to get answers to from other websites and was hoping that a few of the 8312SS owners could help out.

1. I noticed a major issue IMHO with the KZ Spree... the two slide outs only have about 12" between the slide out walls and even less with the exterior flange that surrounds the slide out. Not a big deal BUT THE GRAY/BLACK GATE VALVES ARE LOCATED BETWEEN THE TWO!!! Unless you retract one of the two slides, the only other access to the gray/black dump valve would be on hand and knee under the slide. Please tell me this is not a issue on the 8312SS. (I was unable to get around the back of the unit at the show- it was up agianst a wall). Found a few pics online that show the street side of the TT but not in detail to see the dump valve.

2. Does anyone have the couch option in the rear bunk area? Not the little cube fold up ones, but the jack knife/airbed style. Wondering if they are more comfortable to sleep on...

3. Anyone towing with a F150 with tow max? Looks like it would be good to go, but looking for RW confirmations.

4. Outdoor Kitchen. Is one of the selling points for us. What do you all think? Likes/dislikes?

5. Power stab jacks. Love em' or hate em?

6. Fantastic fan in the bath. Is it really on a angle or is the picture i saw a little skewed. If so, has anyone mounted a vent cover to one? (see some issues with that going down the road sideways and scooping rain)

Thanks in advance!

Hoping to be an official member next season. We are going to run our Roo one more year and factory order in 02/12 for Memorial Day delivery.

Dieselbobcat
dieselbobcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
Hello All-

We have also been seriously looking at a 8312SS. We are planning to upgrade from our Rockwood Roo 23SS Hybrid. While at the RV show over this past weekend, I noticed a few issues with similar floorplans from other manufacturers. I have a few questions that I am unable to get answers to from other websites and was hoping that a few of the 8312SS owners could help out.

1. I noticed a major issue IMHO with the KZ Spree... the two slide outs only have about 12" between the slide out walls and even less with the exterior flange that surrounds the slide out. Not a big deal BUT THE GRAY/BLACK GATE VALVES ARE LOCATED BETWEEN THE TWO!!! Unless you retract one of the two slides, the only other access to the gray/black dump valve would be on hand and knee under the slide. Please tell me this is not a issue on the 8312SS. (I was unable to get around the back of the unit at the show- it was up agianst a wall). Found a few pics online that show the street side of the TT but not in detail to see the dump valve.

2. Does anyone have the couch option in the rear bunk area? Not the little cube fold up ones, but the jack knife/airbed style. Wondering if they are more comfortable to sleep on...

3. Anyone towing with a F150 with tow max? Looks like it would be good to go, but looking for RW confirmations.

4. Outdoor Kitchen. Is one of the selling points for us. What do you all think? Likes/dislikes?

5. Power stab jacks. Love em' or hate em?

6. Fantastic fan in the bath. Is it really on a angle or is the picture i saw a little skewed. If so, has anyone mounted a vent cover to one? (see some issues with that going down the road sideways and scooping rain)

Thanks in advance!

Hoping to be an official member next season. We are going to run our Roo one more year and factory order in 02/12 for Memorial Day delivery.

Dieselbobcat
We are looking at this as well and hope to put a deposit down tomorrow. We like the outside kitchen option especially the fridge for beer and kids drinks. We will get the power jacks as I think anything power is better Fantastic fan is in the bathroom but to really get the advantage of it in the whole TT you would have to keep the bathroom door open. I will order the 2nd fantastic fan in the living area. Will also put MAx Air covers on all the vents. We like the futons as our kids are 8 and 5. The sofa would not be as convienient and the futons are easy to fold into a bed. They can jump all over these and I won't break a sweat as they do it vs a nicer couch.

What interior colors have you seen on the Rockwood. We are considering Tuscan, Cherry and the combo Cherry/Tuscan. Which did you like and why? tks
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #7

Dieselbobcat, sounds like you got to look at our trailer in Timonium. Cant wait to get it back after the show this weekend.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Nope- Rockland RV Expo in Spring Valley NY... just over the NJ border. They did not have a Rockwood 8312SS but the Flagstaff cousin. They had other Rockwood Ultralites with the same kitchen and bath as the 8312SS but not this particular combination. We would probally go with the Espresso / Cherry interior. That is what we have now in our Roo 23SS (It really looks great and hides the dirt pretty well). All of our "stuff" is color matched to that (Awning mat, bath mats, throw blankets, dishes, etc...)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #9

We have the MaxxAir fan on our second vent in the Roo 23SS... between the Fantastic Fan in the bath and the MaxxAir, you can suck in the tent ends unless a door or windows are open... The MaxxAir is far superior to the Fantastic Fan and as an added bonus it combines the vent cover in the same unit... way cheaper than the factory option. The power is right inside the trim ring of the vent, if you are a little handy, this is about an hour to a hour and a half installation.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #10

i probably took a walk thru your trailer at the show...i made it a point to look thru all the rockwoods. we bought an 8315ss after the show a few years ago so its interesting for us to see what upgrades and changes have been made to this line.
the fantastic fan in the bathroom works well with the doors closed,if you notice there is a space at the top of the doors to allow for air circulation.we put a MaxxairII cover over the fantastic fan. to provide rain protection.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

Not sure why they didnt put a swing arm on the living room tv. Anyone know if there is enough support in the middle of the entertainment center to support a swing arm bracket?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #12

We are tossed up between the Keystone Bullett Premier or the Rockwood Signature 8312SS. What were the differences that made your decision to the Rockwood? Also, anyone pulling the 8312SS with a Ford F-150 Crew Cab 5.4L 3.5 axle? We liked the Westport with Cherry. One more...What are the cabinets like in the bunkroom when you open the? Just a rod or are there any shelves? Thanks!
lab530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab530 View Post
We are tossed up between the Keystone Bullett Premier or the Rockwood Signature 8312SS. What were the differences that made your decision to the Rockwood? Also, anyone pulling the 8312SS with a Ford F-150 Crew Cab 5.4L 3.5 axle? We liked the Westport with Cherry. One more...What are the cabinets like in the bunkroom when you open the? Just a rod or are there any shelves? Thanks!
We looked at both. We bought the Rockwood 8312SS. Hands down we felt the fit, finish and construction was much better (and we own a Keystone Passport now). We did not like the BH in the Premier nor did we like the flip around TV in that room. There was a huge gap in it which would just allow hot air in or cold air out. Nice idea but poorly executed.

Advantages to Rockwood:
1) 2 steps off the bathroom door vs. 3 on the Rockwood.
2) The BH storage in the 8312 is great. Open all 3 doors and their are full shelves(2 of them and the floor) that run the entire length.
3) Pocket doors in the front bedroom and rear BH vs. Curtains in the Premier.
4) 20' awning vs. 15 or 16' in the Premier.
5) Rear ladder in the Rockwood.
6) Outside storage under u dinette on Rockwood
7) TPO roof vs rubber on Premier
8) We liked the 33' 10" lengh vs the 35'+ on the Premier

In the end the Premier did not even make the top 3. It did look nice but that was as far as it went.

I think either TT is too much for your TV though. We will be using an F-250 and I would not consider a 1/2 ton for either unit.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #14

Cecilt==Thanks so much for your comments. I agree I think the Rockwood is much nicer inside also. I'm interested to hear that you don't think either of these would be good for us to tow. We were told by a few different dealers at the RV show that our truck wouldn't be bad for these as along as we get a good stablizer unit. Do you agree with this? We are first time at this and need all the clues of advice we can get. We are looking at this layout do you know of any other TT that all lighter with this lay out? We know about the Passport 3220BH but some things we don't like.

Curtains once again in rooms
Back bunk house is like a quad room and not entertainment area of much storage.
Also, the camp kitchen outside is smaller. The one positive to this one is it has a second awning over the camp kitchen area. You mentioned you have a Passport...which model do you have?
lab530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #15

We are two weeks away from ordering this trailer. We are getting the Tuscan Cream with Charleston interior. Are there any options that people wish they got with their unit and why? We have upgraded to the U shaped dinette slide with airbed sofa. We are also getting power jacks, ladder, extra create a breeze fan, heated mattress, raised panel refrigerator, and awnings over the slides. Do you recommend the counter extension in the kitchen? The outdoor kitchen looks great, we do a lot of primitive camping and am a bit bummed that the outdoor refrigerator is electric only. We will be pulling it with a Dodge 2500HD, unfortunately it has the Hemi. I am sure it will handle the trailer just fear the gas bill
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab530 View Post
Cecilt==Thanks so much for your comments. I agree I think the Rockwood is much nicer inside also. I'm interested to hear that you don't think either of these would be good for us to tow. We were told by a few different dealers at the RV show that our truck wouldn't be bad for these as along as we get a good stablizer unit. Do you agree with this? We are first time at this and need all the clues of advice we can get. We are looking at this layout do you know of any other TT that all lighter with this lay out? We know about the Passport 3220BH but some things we don't like.

Curtains once again in rooms
Back bunk house is like a quad room and not entertainment area of much storage.
Also, the camp kitchen outside is smaller. The one positive to this one is it has a second awning over the camp kitchen area. You mentioned you have a Passport...which model do you have?
As for vehicles and towing ability: I am a bit concerned about my Dodge 2500. The truck is built to handle the load; the issue revolves around Hemi gas engine. Most dealers I have spoken to have said they wouldn't pull it with anything less then a 3/4 ton. You should call your trucks vin into your dealer and get your maximum towing capacity before making the commitment. As for other units with these features. We have been researching for months and I feel this trailer is the best deal for the total package! I heard that Dutchman was coming out with a floor plan like this in their new Aspen Trail series but all of the weights are TBA. My guess is it will be a bit heavier as it is a more cheaply built unit (particle board weighs more then real wood).
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #17

The outdoor kitchen on the 83122ss has a microwave, (no popcorn smell inside) the premier does not and I've heard on other forums that the outdoor sink on the premier actually drains into the black tank which is a horrible design. The awning goes over both doors on the rockwood (only the main entrance on the premier). The tv is so small in the premier and I'm not a big fan of the color schemes they used inside the premier. Also, If I remember correctly, the control panel is in a horrible spot on the bullet premier. I never understood why designers would put these controls where kids could reach them. The 8312ss has the panel up nice and high and all together. I also like the fact that when I lifted the bed in the 8312ss it was all aluminum framed, as was the dinnette - the premier is not.

Tow vehicles is an endless debate - more is always better, but if you're not going cross country, you'll be fine with your truck, just take it slow and be safe.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerMT View Post
We are two weeks away from ordering this trailer. We are getting the Tuscan Cream with Charleston interior. Are there any options that people wish they got with their unit and why? We have upgraded to the U shaped dinette slide with airbed sofa. We are also getting power jacks, ladder, extra create a breeze fan, heated mattress, raised panel refrigerator, and awnings over the slides. Do you recommend the counter extension in the kitchen? The outdoor kitchen looks great, we do a lot of primitive camping and am a bit bummed that the outdoor refrigerator is electric only. We will be pulling it with a Dodge 2500HD, unfortunately it has the Hemi. I am sure it will handle the trailer just fear the gas bill
We ordered every option but heated mattress and stainless steel. We debated back and forth on Tuscan Cream and Cherry. We both liked the Charleston though. Found a dealer that at least had the combo interior so I could get a sense for both colors. I did not care for the combo as I don't think the two colors compliment each other or maybe it was just the way they put TC in the Kitchen area and cherry everywhere else. Just did not flow well. In the end we went with Cherry. Just felt it would have better resale value and had a richer look. If the TC were a more birch color it would have one hands down. I was scared it would bleach out the inside or I would grow tired of it after awhile. It is definintly a color you love or hate and every Rockwood/Flagstaff uttered this same comment without me prompting them.

Your 2500 should be fine but if it is the 5.7 it will probably struggle somewhat especially if you tow in hills/mountains. We have the V-10 with 4.10 gears in our F-250 so I am not concerned with the 8312ss. This a a great layout for Rockwood and I bet it sells a ton. Only wish it had more interior kitchen storage and I would have opted to remove the outside microwave in place of more storage. We never use our interior microwave or I should say rarely.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #19

Oh, and I pick mine up tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansinmaryland View Post
Oh, and I pick mine up tomorrow!
SWEET!!! Were you able to negotiate a better deal?

Tags
8312ss