Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

I picked up our a couple weeks ago and towed in 20h wind gusts on the highway without a problem. I'm using the Andersen weight distribution hitch. Need to change my signature profile.

lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Maron, love the shelving idea.

For a mattress topper, I got a 3" latex foam pad. Works great. Had to cut the end
off to fit the short queen mattress but otherwise, we sleep very well.

Karen

TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #13

I have a 2013 8325 35 footer and the only sway has been in high winds. I also have the wt. dist. and sway bar. Make sure you use grease on both the hitch and the sway bar balls.

Also be sure and get any extra warranty - mine was for a 2nd year. These models are a bit cheap as far as quality goes so that extra warranty will be needed.

Also I just replaced the cheap Chinese tires - 2 went flat and all 4 where falling apart (separating/slicing). Watch those tires and replace as soon as any problems come up ...and keep them covered!!!

My 2007 GMC 2500HD also pulls it like it isn't even there so you're good to go.

OH......replace the water filter and canister!!! If it's like mine it has the $29 FR proprietary filters...way too expensive. I replaced mine with a Culligan canister & filters and moved it out of the bathroom (it will break) to the outside (on the hose).

I love mine and am a full-timer...have a ball and safe travels.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We picked up our 8289 last August. First 5th wheel for us, and in fact the first trailer of any kind. We are retired and looked at lots of units until we saw this one. We took it to Madison WI last Sept for a shake out and to test everything. We were pleased with the unit overall. The bed (for us) was great and it tows very well. We have a 2015 gas GMC 2500 HD.

I'd say that I was surprised that there wasn't more Q & A within the first 30 days with the dealer. If you haven't had one before, I can't imagine how you could possible think of all the different things yourself. I had watched plenty of videos about the hitch (Reese Revolution) and all facets of trailer use and maintenence both on the FR site and Utube. I also talked to a couple of neighbors who have one. Like I said, everything worked fine and we put it in storage for the winter.

This year we took a trip in April to Michigan and Indiana. When I checked the trailer tires two were low and so I went to Camping World in Belleville MI and filled them. BUT they didn't have nitogen, which seems silly since the tires came with it.

A couple of other things we discovered is that the hitch started shrieking. Turned out to the be pin box. Called Reese and they said that debris in the pin box/wedge could be the cause. They recommended taking it apart and greeseing it. So when I took it to Camping world for some other work I mentioned it to the techs and they are supposed to take care of it.

I'm going to have to get in shape to lift a full 40 gal LP tank into the unit. Also I'd recommend tire monitors for the trailer.

Since for us the unit pivots where the pin box attaches to the unit, so the hitch is just the attachment point, not a pivot.

Bottom line is I really like the unit and the guys at Camping world. We're planning to take it south this winter. Most of the stuff I needed I figured out and I read the materials that came with it over and over. The hot water is gas only.

I use a king pin tripod and between that and the rear supports I don't have much if any wiggle.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
BUT they didn't have nitogen, which seems silly since the tires came with it.
Just use air, cause its roughly 78% nitrogen anyway.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Nitrogen Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8289

First thing today that made me laugh. Thanks.

Anyone use the Dish TV set up?

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, trailer, travel, travel trailer