Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Rockwood Signature 8329SS Ultra Lite Travel Trailer

Hi -

I will be picking up my new Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite travel trailer next week. It is Model Number 8329SS. Looking to hear from any other fellow Rvr's who own this trailer or any of the other models of this trailer both good and bad experiences.

Thank you.
JRYJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Last August we purchased the Windjammer 3029. It has a very similar floor plan to yours. We camped in it quite a bit before we winterized it and have had it out once this spring still winterized. We have had only minor issues like three of the LEDs out on the awning. We have thoroughly enjoyed this camper! The opposing slides in the living space make it so roomy.
Mathteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #3

Picked mine up in February. The only problem we had is the IRV radio/dvd system. Seems to be a lot of people with this problem. Sound cuts in and out unless you crank the volume. Love everything else after this TT. Tows like a dream.
jkenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #4

We have a 2014 8329ss and love it. Its very roomy and its a pleasure to camp in. We have only had a few minor problems , which were taken care of under warranty. Enjoy!
mr526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

I have a 2014 that I took delivery in June 2013, so I have a season and half on mine. We are set up seasonally, basically we live in it May - October, commuting to work. I pull it home in the fall, back to camp in the spring. I have had occasion to pull it back to the dealer twice, it does tow nicely. (2013 Chevy 2500 HD)

It is an ultralight, so everything is, light. Read that as prone to breaking. Careful with the window cranks, easy to overextend and break. Mine had the air mattress, it leaked.(warranty) The oven needed a tune as it would go out, dangerous.(warranty) The LED's on the awning died. Also the motors for the awning were recalled by Dometic. (warranty) The valve on the propane tank whistled. (out of my pocket to fix). The entire camper shakes when one is walking through it, you notice this if you are sitting still and your other half strolls through (light frame). I use the four jacks that came with the camper plus four additional ones mounted fore and aft of the wheels. Another issue is the walls are paper thin and sound travels through them. With the plastic roof, when it rains, you cannot hear yourself think when inside let alone hear the tv. My stereo/surround system works fine.

We love the floor plan. We love the décor and storage. I will never buy another ultrlalight. If I could find a brand/model built in the heavy duty style, I would trade in a heartbeat.

Buy the extended warranty for $150.00 upon delivery, you will need it. For each of my warranty problems, my dealer, barked up front the problems were not covered. Push them because they are covered. I believe the dealer does not get reimbursed enough for their trouble and will try to dodge the issue if they can. Again, push them to get it done.

That all said...we do love this camper. Best of luck and happy camping with yours. Let us know your thoughts when you get some miles on it.

Mark
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We picked ours up in January 2014 and love it. We are now full timing in it after recently selling our house. Pretty darn comfortable for a TT. The Serta mattress isn't the best nor do I like the la z boy chairs but the rest works just great. We probably have 10 months living in it so far with 8000 miles between Phoenix & Chicago. In fact we are leaving for Chicago tmrw morning.
We did add shelves in the kitchen cabinets and bathroom closet that doubled the stacking area.
Hope you have as good a luck with yours that we did with ours.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maron View Post
We did add shelves in the kitchen cabinets and bathroom closet that doubled the stacking area.
My wife would like shelves in the same area's of ours. How about some pics and description detailing what materials you used, and your installation?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #8
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
I'm not near the TT right now so no pics but the procedure was pretty simple. We went to Home Depot and bought a length of rUbber coated metal shelving. I measured the depth and width the cabinets allowed allowing for an open area in the front to reach up on top. I think the depth was 9". Then I marked off the width with a pen and used bolt cutters to cut to size.
I then bought some 3\4 th inch trim boards, cut them to the height she wanted and used wood glue to put them in the corner of the cabinets as supports for the shelves, and 2 more for the front legs along the side of the cabinet to support the front of the shelf. Placed the wire rack shelves with the front liP up so nothing would slide off during transit and that was it. Cheap, no holes drilled and works like a charm.
Hope this is not too much detail.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for responding. All of your input both good and bad is much appreciated. It is nice to have a forum to come to like this with other people with things in common. We will be picking up our new travel trailer (Rockwood-Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS) next week. We have a 1999 Ford 250 Super Duty of which we use to tow our 22' 6500 lb. boat and have had no issues with towing. We are hearing from some people that they have experience swaying with the Ultra Lite on the Express Ways. We will be using a load distribution hitch and sway bars. Has anyone experienced any issues with swaying as well? Any input would be much appreciated!
JRYJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

Shouldn't be any sway if the WD hitch is set up correctly, none with ours. I just about forget we are towing it.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #11

I picked up our a couple weeks ago and towed in 20h wind gusts on the highway without a problem. I'm using the Andersen weight distribution hitch. Need to change my signature profile.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Maron, love the shelving idea.

For a mattress topper, I got a 3" latex foam pad. Works great. Had to cut the end
off to fit the short queen mattress but otherwise, we sleep very well.

Karen
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #13

I have a 2013 8325 35 footer and the only sway has been in high winds. I also have the wt. dist. and sway bar. Make sure you use grease on both the hitch and the sway bar balls.

Also be sure and get any extra warranty - mine was for a 2nd year. These models are a bit cheap as far as quality goes so that extra warranty will be needed.

Also I just replaced the cheap Chinese tires - 2 went flat and all 4 where falling apart (separating/slicing). Watch those tires and replace as soon as any problems come up ...and keep them covered!!!

My 2007 GMC 2500HD also pulls it like it isn't even there so you're good to go.

OH......replace the water filter and canister!!! If it's like mine it has the $29 FR proprietary filters...way too expensive. I replaced mine with a Culligan canister & filters and moved it out of the bathroom (it will break) to the outside (on the hose).

I love mine and am a full-timer...have a ball and safe travels.
GVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
We picked up our 8289 last August. First 5th wheel for us, and in fact the first trailer of any kind. We are retired and looked at lots of units until we saw this one. We took it to Madison WI last Sept for a shake out and to test everything. We were pleased with the unit overall. The bed (for us) was great and it tows very well. We have a 2015 gas GMC 2500 HD.

I'd say that I was surprised that there wasn't more Q & A within the first 30 days with the dealer. If you haven't had one before, I can't imagine how you could possible think of all the different things yourself. I had watched plenty of videos about the hitch (Reese Revolution) and all facets of trailer use and maintenence both on the FR site and Utube. I also talked to a couple of neighbors who have one. Like I said, everything worked fine and we put it in storage for the winter.

This year we took a trip in April to Michigan and Indiana. When I checked the trailer tires two were low and so I went to Camping World in Belleville MI and filled them. BUT they didn't have nitogen, which seems silly since the tires came with it.

A couple of other things we discovered is that the hitch started shrieking. Turned out to the be pin box. Called Reese and they said that debris in the pin box/wedge could be the cause. They recommended taking it apart and greeseing it. So when I took it to Camping world for some other work I mentioned it to the techs and they are supposed to take care of it.

I'm going to have to get in shape to lift a full 40 gal LP tank into the unit. Also I'd recommend tire monitors for the trailer.

Since for us the unit pivots where the pin box attaches to the unit, so the hitch is just the attachment point, not a pivot.

Bottom line is I really like the unit and the guys at Camping world. We're planning to take it south this winter. Most of the stuff I needed I figured out and I read the materials that came with it over and over. The hot water is gas only.

I use a king pin tripod and between that and the rear supports I don't have much if any wiggle.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
BUT they didn't have nitogen, which seems silly since the tires came with it.
Just use air, cause its roughly 78% nitrogen anyway.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Nitrogen Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8289

First thing today that made me laugh. Thanks.

Anyone use the Dish TV set up?

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, trailer, travel, travel trailer