Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Purchase considerations

My wife and I have settled on a couple of Signature Ultra Lite models.

We like the 8288WS and 8289WS. Nice open floor plan, comfortable sitting area and the island kitchens seem great for two people working on a meal.

We are still deciding between them. We prefer the TV viewing arrangement of the 89, but my wife likes the idea of the fireplace close to the couch on the 88.

I have a few questions that I hope some experienced owners can help me with:

--I plan to tow with a 2014 F250 4X4. The drawing I got from FR shows the bottom of the overhang on these units being 61" off the ground when leveled. My truck is around 59" to the top of the tailgate, though I didn't have it parked in the garage for an accurate measurement. If these are good numbers, even if my truck squats 4" I'm probably going to want airbags to get the truck at the right attitude. I think that means I may need to raise the trailer to get level and enough bed rail clearance. I understand I can get spacers from Dexter to raise it.

Is my thinking right? Should I expect to raise it or can I even order it raised from the factory?

--We don't have the brutal heat of the South West, but it does get hot and HUMID here. The 15K AC upgrade is a no doubter to me, but should I go ahead and order the second AC. Is there an advantage to factory installation of the second AC? I'm back and forth between thinking the second unit gives me a backup if one goes down, or thinking if I get it with one unit I can add the other if it turns out I need it.

A few more general things I'm thinking about:

8288 or 8289? The 89 seems much more common, but I lean toward the 88.

Theater seating, standard recliners or La-Z-Boy?

Slide Toppers -- Factory or DIY?

I appreciate any input. I apologize for multiple questions, but there is a lot to learn and I want to learn it before I buy rather than regret my decisions later.
jkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Remember: Happy wife, happy life!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

I have the 8289, love it, get the 50 amp with 2nd A/C. My pin weight is 1765. Your 250 will not squat, the new trucks sides are higher you should be able to still hookup, they recommend 6" , but if your not going bpondocking no big problems, you will have AL-KO axles 4000 lb. I wouldn't do a lift yet, you should be alright, hope that helps, need any more info let me know

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #4

I had Maxim Trailers build a 4" lift kit to make mine toe level-ish behind my Ram 4x4. You'll need something - either lower the truck or raise the trailer. Otherwise, it toes nose up and puts too much weight on the back axle, and your tail comes perilously close to the underside of the overhang.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

Following

Following
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

Hook it 1st and see! The pinbox and hitch are adjustable for height and you may be able to make it OK,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have the 8289, love it, get the 50 amp with 2nd A/C. My pin weight is 1765. Your 250 will not squat, the new trucks sides are higher you should be able to still hookup, they recommend 6" , but if your not going bpondocking no big problems, you will have AL-KO axles 4000 lb. I wouldn't do a lift yet, you should be alright, hope that helps, need any more info let me know
From experience towing cattle trailers, I know how quickly a side road can turn into a "what in the heck have I gotten myself into" scenario where you can't turn around and aren't sure you can go forward. I guess I can try it as is while I make a few runs to places I know and see what kind of clearance I have, and then if needed do something before I start going new places. Probably best advice for any new rig!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
llr

The 2nd air with 59amp prep wasn't much more than just the 50 amp prep which you need for the 2nd air
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We were in your position about a year and a half ago.
We looked at the models you listed in both the Rockwood line and the Flagstaff sister line.
We also began looking at the 8299BS and the 8529IKBS as they were just hitting the market.

We chose the 8529IKBS. (Flagstaff dealer gave us a better deal than the Rockwood dealer on a 8299BS)

First, it is on a much heavier frame/axles. It already sits higher. Yes it's slightly heavier but not by a lot and the floor plans with the bed slide sold us. It also does not have the Schwintek slide in the bedroom. All three are Lippert. We did not want a Schwintek.

While we originally had an F150 that we towed with the first year, we knew were going to step up to a 250 Super Duty as we plan to do more than weekend camping in the near future (which we did trade trucks in March) and the 8288 & 8289's were too low without doing suspension modifications to fit the height of the 250. I think the 8288-8289 are more suited for the F150 heights.

We opted to not get the fireplace and went for more storage so we can't comment on that other than we use a small electric space heater by the kitchen island it it makes it cozy comfortable.

We went with the Lazy Boy recliners and we LOVE them!

We went with the factory installed slide toppers.

Go with the 15k and upgrade to the 50 amp shore power, even if you don't get the 2nd A/C. You will be ready when you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_f250_8529ikbs.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	144754  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

We have a 2015 8528 Ikws, and a 2014 fx4 f250. Our numbers were the same as yours. The trailer has 4000# dexter torflex axles. Dexter makes a 2-5/8"lift kit for the axles. Instalation will give you 6" + clearance. This is the only way to stay level, and have ok clearance.

Craig

Retired Pipefitter
2014 F250 SD 4X4 SB 6.7L PSD
2013 21FBRS Micro Lite
2015 8528IKWS FW
thehitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We were in your position about a year and a half ago.
We looked at the models you listed in both the Rockwood line and the Flagstaff sister line.
We also began looking at the 8299BS and the 8529IKBS as they were just hitting the market.

We chose the 8529IKBS. (Flagstaff dealer gave us a better deal than the Rockwood dealer on a 8299BS)

First, it is on a much heavier frame/axles. It already sits higher. Yes it's slightly heavier but not by a lot and the floor plans with the bed slide sold us. It also does not have the Schwintek slide in the bedroom. All three are Lippert. We did not want a Schwintek.

While we originally had an F150 that we towed with the first year, we knew were going to step up to a 250 Super Duty as we plan to do more than weekend camping in the near future (which we did trade trucks in March) and the 8288 & 8289's were too low without doing suspension modifications to fit the height of the 250. I think the 8288-8289 are more suited for the F150 heights.

We opted to not get the fireplace and went for more storage so we can't comment on that other than we use a small electric space heater by the kitchen island it it makes it cozy comfortable.

We went with the Lazy Boy recliners and we LOVE them!

We went with the factory installed slide toppers.

Go with the 15k and upgrade to the 50 amp shore power, even if you don't get the 2nd A/C. You will be ready when you do.
We had the fireplace in the Cougar and found it does throw a lot of heat for it's size. Had to laugh as the Montana has it as a "mandatory" option. How is something mandatory an option? The whisper AC also has a heat pump and will see how that works this fall/winter.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

What Witch Doctor said, plus...

We just sold a Flagstaff 8528IKWS which is nearly identical to the '89. It is a far better floor plan than the '88 IMO for several reasons. Foremost is the kitchen is on the wrong side of the '88, therefore no windows to look at YOUR campsite and it's view of the world. With the '88 you get to see your neighbor up close and personal. Also, the entertainment viewing angle is good for all seating areas. Ours didn't have the pantry and so the couch was a perhaps bit longer which was nice when paired with the 2 Lazy Boy swivel/rocker/recliners. The free standing dining table also gave more flexibility for seating 2 to 5 there plus another 5 comfortably with lap trays or TV tables.

Get as many options as you think you may want/want/need factory installed. That way you get to enjoy all of your goodies from the start instead of spending money and time on upgrades and mods later. You may or may not save money that way, but if you finance any of your buy it eliminates the cash now bite of the future outlays. Be sure that the second A/C is one of those. They come with the Reese Revolution pin box. Learn how to use it right and use it all of the time except when leaving it for service or any time it may be towed more than 1 inch by anyone else.

Most of all, enjoy what you settle on.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #13

I just told someone in a PM that I've learned more here today than I did in weeks on the dealer lots. Thank you all for your input! Please don't stop.

There is a Flagstaff dealer less than an hour from my house. It would be great if I could deal with them, because I live way out in the sticks and nothing is even remotely close.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
My wife and I have settled on a couple of Signature Ultra Lite models.

We like the 8288WS and 8289WS. Nice open floor plan, comfortable sitting area and the island kitchens seem great for two people working on a meal.

We are still deciding between them. We prefer the TV viewing arrangement of the 89, but my wife likes the idea of the fireplace close to the couch on the 88.

I have a few questions that I hope some experienced owners can help me with:

--I plan to tow with a 2014 F250 4X4. The drawing I got from FR shows the bottom of the overhang on these units being 61" off the ground when leveled. My truck is around 59" to the top of the tailgate, though I didn't have it parked in the garage for an accurate measurement. If these are good numbers, even if my truck squats 4" I'm probably going to want airbags to get the truck at the right attitude. I think that means I may need to raise the trailer to get level and enough bed rail clearance. I understand I can get spacers from Dexter to raise it.

Is my thinking right? Should I expect to raise it or can I even order it raised from the factory?

--We don't have the brutal heat of the South West, but it does get hot and HUMID here. The 15K AC upgrade is a no doubter to me, but should I go ahead and order the second AC. Is there an advantage to factory installation of the second AC? I'm back and forth between thinking the second unit gives me a backup if one goes down, or thinking if I get it with one unit I can add the other if it turns out I need it.

A few more general things I'm thinking about:

8288 or 8289? The 89 seems much more common, but I lean toward the 88.

Theater seating, standard recliners or La-Z-Boy?

Slide Toppers -- Factory or DIY?

I appreciate any input. I apologize for multiple questions, but there is a lot to learn and I want to learn it before I buy rather than regret my decisions later.
IMO:

1) Toppers are a must as they keep snow, debris, and, rain water off the top of the slide. It all rolls right off when you retract. Factory install is always better than dealer regardless of what you are installing (again IMO).

2) Two 13.5 K ACs are better than 1 15K plus the 13.5Ks are easier to start on a generator. This is huge if you decide to boondock with it one day. 2 ACs will remove more humidity than 1 15K (surface area and duty cycles determine this). 2 ac's work less hard than 1 15K.

3) 50 amp with 2nd AC wiring is a great option if offered. Not that expensive and a VERY easy upgrade to 2 ACs down the road (should you need it).

4) We have theater seating at home. While VERY relaxing, it is impossible to snuggle in them if you are so inclined. Trust me you CAN sleep comfortably in them though. Lazyboys that swivel allow easy face to face conversations (don't know if the ones being offered do that though).

Hope that helped.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #15

Go with the Lazy Boy recliners. The other stuff is not real leather, it is bonded leather and will deteriorate quickly. Also, with the theater seating, if (when) one side breaks what do you do?
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #16

We have the 8289WS and love it. The following may open a can of worms but here we go...Being an Ultra light it is lighter to pull but if you have enough truck then that should not matter too much. I'd consider one with a heavier frame, wheels, etc. like 5Picker mentioned in post #9.

I wanted to mount a bike rack on the bumper but after checking with FR they said not to mount a receiver hitch or bike rack to the rear bumper - besides voiding the warrantee he emphatically said it was not designed to handle it. Yes, you could reinforce the bumper but of higher concern is twisting the frame, considering the slides I decided not to. Some others may have had good luck doing it but I don't want to chance that.

It came with 15" wheels and upgrading to 16" not an easy swap. It seems many trailers come outfitted with just enough. I upgraded the tires and haven't had a problem but it would be nice to have higher capacity axles, hubs, rims, tires.

I just got back from a 10 day trip to Utah and with temps over 100 a second AC unit would have helped immensely! When it hit 115 outside the coolest the inside was 98 and unbearable. I'm thinking of adding one now but would have been better to have it done to begin with, that is, to have the 50amp, ducting, controls, etc instead of installing as an afterthought. Maybe that's why an experienced RV'er said he likes to camp in the desert during the winter and at the beach during the summer...makes sense now

The above are the limitations I think of but for us we have not had problems with tires, wheels, suspension and I'm not missing riding the bicycles much anyway. Adding the 2nd AC unit may happen but will probably add overall height, which is ok except for low bridges.
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
and I'm not missing riding the bicycles much anyway.

This is a little off topic, but CraigBean...have you considered other places for your bikes to travel? Here is a pic of our 8289WS with a pin box mounted bike rack. Other options are the front of the truck as well as the roof of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loaded3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	144770  
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #18

We have the 89, have about 15,000 miles on her and love it
We bought it for the floor plan.
I have a Chevy 3/4 ton and have taken it across I70 in CO with no problems.
We have the lazy boy recliners in the back and LOVE THEM!
Nicer than what we have in our house. LOL
The fireplace does throw out some heat, but if it is 40 degrees outside, it won't knock the cold out in the morning. We start the furnace for about 30 minutes then the fireplace will keep it comfortable.
Ours has the revolution pin box on it since I have a short bed. Would never think of having another trailer without it.
I have the Reese 16K hitch and have no issues at all.
We WISH you could get in the fridge without extending the slide, but we have learned to live with it. At rest areas for lunch, we just park in the back and extend it out to get to the fridge to get lunch made.

Hope that helps you some.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
8289 a Mixed bag

I have a 2015 8289. I ordered it with the 50 amp and the second A/C unit. And I'm glad. I save LP by using the fireplace and I like the set up of the ports for water. I like the storage. What I don't like is the 4000 lb axles and the 15 inch tires, with a speed rating of 50 mph.

I have put a thousand miles on it and the second A/C is a blessing. The unit has been very solid. We bought the 89 for the island sink. But, the organization of the waste could be better. I'm think having the galley tied into the gray water if possible.

The recliner are peachy. The electronics are solid. The hitch is a hybrid with a wedge and the turning action from the pin box. Never thought I'd do it, but last week a made a 180 turn with no strain.

The bed that we have isn't what we need, so I'm looking now to upgrade. I have a GMC 2500 HD gas. Sometimes there is a lot of down shifting, but we always get there. The tow/haul mode is great.

I lost my dog and my wife last year but I'm still committed to the R/V life.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #20

Go with the factory installed slide toppers as part of the deal.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, rockwood