Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
Glad to hear you like your Rockwood 8289WS. My wife and I just ordered this unit about a week ago. I'm trying to get my dealer to change out the factory installed tires ("Trail Express") for at least a "Load Range D" tire before I take delivery of the new unit. I'd like to go with the "Load Range E" tire if possible, but I can't find any info on whether the 15" aluminum wheels can handle the added psi. I see you've had luck with your tires, but do you know what the wheel itself says it's rated for? Or, any one else that has this unit, can you help me out? Thanks. Sorry for the thread derailment.
Just got back from a week away in our 8289WS. Temps were 30 to 32 at night, The fireplace really does keep the trailer warm. With the furnace we had no issues at all. I would recommend a centre powered vent above the Island, that is about the only thing we are missing.

Happy Camping

B and B
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #22

Camping world in IL was offering a sale price of just over $30k for a Diamond or Platinum version for the 8329SS. But I like some of the tips here about upgrading the air conditioning. I'm most likely to order one verse one off the lot because it seems that no one stock model has the options I'd like.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'11 Forrest River ROO 21ss
Ty_Roo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #23

Sorry one other thought on the 8329SS, my wife and I were thinking that most often it would just be the two of us so we were thinking we could leave two of the dinning chairs at home and rotate the table 90 degrees so it is less in the way of viewing the fireplace and TV from the recliners. If we have guests there is always the eat at counter.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'11 Forrest River ROO 21ss
Ty_Roo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandPandra View Post
The wife & I also like the floorplan of the 8329SS. We are looking for the floor plan of a TT that has all the options available that the fifth wheels have. The biggest deal breaker on fifth wheels are THE STAIRS! Look how steep they are and you have to walk up & down them every time you use the restroom or bedroom. Always a chance to trip & fall while you're inside the trailer. I'll trade the ride & towing for no steep stairs anytime.
You may also want to consider the Flagstaff 832IKBS to widen your choice of dealers. It is the same floor plan built in the same plant. We having to order one to get exactly what we wanted and found the Flagstaff at a closer dealer for $800 less than the best deal I could get on the Rockwood.
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #25

There a dream to tow, in fact I have not felt any dif. from towing 5ers for the last 22 years and this is our first tt. Was a little nervous towing and backing in but found very easy to do both. I think the d.p. is the only way to go.

kdcamper 2011 3500 Chev cc ltz 2013 8329ss d.p. Husky centreline air hitch
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #26

The table and chairs don't bother the t.v. from the recliners at all there is just the two of us, we keep all 4 chairs just in case.

kdcamper
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #27

My 8280WS has Hi-Spec Series 6 rims and etrailer shows them rated for 65 psi. Americana Aluminum Hi-Spec Series 6 Trailer Wheel - 15" x 6" Rim - 5 on 4-1/2 HWT Tires and Wheels AM22651. I currently have Duro Load Range C tires, and I will definitely go to Load Range D when I change them out, even though I am currently about 400 lbs. under the load rating on the heaviest axle.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #28

We picked up our new Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS yesterday. After doing the paperwork we had an orientation of the new camper. We had an sixty mile drive through a couple small towns and on some interstates. I think I need to put on my sway bars and make some adjustment on the load leveling hitch. She swayed a little. Got is set up next to the house and found the wife's swing is in the way of the awning. So we will move it. Founding out there is allot of nice things in it. The Freedom Express can't hold a candle to the Rockwood. First camping trip will be in Ohio Amish country mother's day weekend. Will try to post pictures after that.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #29

Good luck. What did you end up paying for it? 2014? How do you like it? Change tire size?
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #30

Got it for $34,000. So far we love it. No I did not change tires.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #31

We are down to the Signature 8329 and Windjammer 3025. Many options for dealers within an hour. Should get a good price.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #32
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We picked up our 8329 in January, left Chicago for Arizona between snow storms on 2/6/14 and arrived on 2/10/14. We spent 3 months living in it and loved it. Obviously we went through lots of different weather conditions including high winds and crazy winding roads in some outback trips. The sway bars are a must and we never felt threatened by strong winds in our 5000 mile round trip journey. The only problem we had with the unit was the side crank out windows came off the track and we could not get them back on so we heavily taped them closed. Waiting for warranty clearance to have fixed.
We received lots of tips from other more experienced RVers but the best one was how to get the sway bars on without tearing an arm muscle lifting the bars onto the steel lips. Make sure your rear stabilizer is up...then lift the truck with the power hitch on the trailer to a point where the sway bars move easily. Worked great!
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #33
Maron

One other thing...we opted for the fireplace/ heat a lator on our unit. It worked great on chilly mornings and also saved on propane heating the salon area.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #34

Question Thanks Msron.

I will be a newbie probably this coming week. So many thoughts coming thru my head. Some of the more common ones are: backing unit into a space for first time,
Sway of trailer when going down highway, complete set up for a stay, unhooking unit, leveling and so on. Then I say is this going to be fun? Well I will soon find out and will surely report back on here. Thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #35
Maron

I had the pleasure of backing boats int o the water for many years before we got the TT and yet I was very concerned about backing the big...heavy TT. As it relates to that...practice...practice...practice. After you first get it...go to a deserted shopping center and practice.
Having a partner that can help direct you is also a great benefit. Work out hand signals as to distance from the hitch and approach speed. Our truck has a rear camera & that helps lining up the ball very well.
Lastly whomever you buy it from should be able to give you a checklist for hitching up and detaching. Key issues are blocks for keeping the TT from rolling, learning about sway bars and how to connect and disconnect, the right length power cords and sewer hoses, blocking the trailer power hitch and a few others. Start reading all the good advice on the. Frog forum, take your time and make friends in the campgrounds. You will learn a ton from old timers. Keep a log after every trip and refer to it as your experience grows. You will find it to be great fun and a wonderful get away and experience. Good luck,
Old 05-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #36

I find the best way for hooking and unhooking always do it the same way, that way you always repeat your system. Backing up
Takes practise and stay calm and don't yell at your dw for helping it just cause a very quite night. The first thing I do after all set up I
Always have a cold one.

kdcamper

Tags
rockwood