Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS problems

April will be a year since we purchased our 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS Diamond Package. We love it and can't wait till the weather breaks to start camping again.

I was wonder if anyone has had any problems with theirs. We had a seam on the roof that had to be caulked. We had water coming in. Forest River would only pay for the caulking not for a service call. I did the repairs myself.

Post what you like/dislike about yours and any problems.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
April will be a year since we purchased our 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS Diamond Package. We love it and can't wait till the weather breaks to start camping again.

I was wonder if anyone has had any problems with theirs. We had a seam on the roof that had to be caulked. We had water coming in. Forest River would only pay for the caulking not for a service call. I did the repairs myself.

Post what you like/dislike about your and any problems.
To be honest I'm surprised that FR did that being you have a 10 year warranty on your roof.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Quote:

Post what you like/dislike about your and any problems.
On (10/27/14) you Posted that you chose to do the repair yourself rather than have your Dealer perform the Caulking! That was your choice F/R would have paid the Total Bill if done at the dealer. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
On (10/27/14) you Posted that you chose to do the repair yourself rather than have your Dealer perform the Caulking! That was your choice F/R would have paid the Total Bill if done at the dealer. Youroo!!
Didn't know that Youroo. By the way are we eating spam or venison never heard?......

Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #5

The problem is that I would have to take the trailer 60 miles to the dealer and they would not be able to get it in the shop for two months. Forest River would only pay for the caulking and not a service call that was $250. So doing the caulking is not rocket science. I think I have the skills to do that. And NO youroo they will NOT PAY FOR IT.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
2013 8289WS purchased used (4 weekends) in mid 2013. I obviously had no warranty because of this (saved almost 20k over the best price I could find on new though!).

In no particular order...
Found water entering at front left corner (over bed side counter)...was small hole in caulking where front cap meets roof.

Furnace worked when I picked it up (2000 miles from home), but failed to start all of last season. Was low priority fix as we try to avoid using it anyway (we use electric heat normally). Went camping a few weeks ago and furnace is now working??

When de-winterizing a few weeks ago, water pump spun but didn't pump water. This also "fixed itself" while I was removing it for repair.

Factory stereo had problem when new (to me)...replaced with a home receiver and Bose bass module (hidden in same location as factory sub)...LOVE IT

Dining room slide is clicking during retraction now...I have not looked into this yet as I just noticed it while prepping for last trip.

Dining room slide topper is loose and holds water when open...it's on my "to do" list

Both the bedroom and bathroom doors wouldn't always latch...fixed by re-positioning the catch plates.

Entry door doesn't really latch unless you pull the handle while shutting.

Factory air mattress was junk...replaced with aftermarket

Skylight cracked badly around screw holes...replaced with lexan skylight.

Don't get me wrong here...I love the trailer. I am just answering your question accurately. Also, not all of these problems are necessarily quality issues...the water pump in particular, as I tried the air method rather than anti freeze last time and wonder if that wasn't a good thing.

Overall we feel this trailer is a great value when compared to the more expensive units we were considering. Not sure how I feel about the "Ultralight" aspect though...love the lack of weight, but hate the "flimsy feel".
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
2013 8289WS purchased used (4 weekends) in mid 2013. I obviously had no warranty because of this (saved almost 20k over the best price I could find on new though!

Dining room slide topper is loose and holds water when open...it's on my "to do" list
The slide toppers over wide slides will always hold water. The angle formed by the tall slide being so close to the roof causes the problem. The tension on the topper is probably ok. The water does not harm anything and can be dumped by closing the slide. Some people use inflatable toys under the topper, I don't know if that works or not. I just deal with the occasional problem created by downpours. Hope this takes one thing off your list!
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
The slide toppers over wide slides will always hold water. The angle formed by the tall slide being so close to the roof causes the problem. The tension on the topper is probably ok. The water does not harm anything and can be dumped by closing the slide. Some people use inflatable toys under the topper, I don't know if that works or not. I just deal with the occasional problem created by downpours. Hope this takes one thing off your list!
We have used the cheap inflatable pool loungers under our superslide when we are parked for several weeks at a time and they work wonderfully. You do need to remove them before retracting the slides. Found that out the hard way.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We have used the cheap inflatable pool loungers under our superslide when we are parked for several weeks at a time and they work wonderfully. You do need to remove them before retracting the slides. Found that out the hard way.
That had to be exciting!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

We love ours, took delivery last September, and camped every weekend after including the first weekend in November.

After my wife saw the floor plan, everything else we looked at got compared to the 8329.
I think the two opposing slides and lack of overhead cabinets extending from a wall, make it very open feeling in the kitchen and living area. The entertainment center is in a perfect spot, and we like the room in the bedroom too. If we ever go back to a 5th wheel we really like the 8289WS, but not sure we'd want to give up the room the bedroom slide gives for the extra outdoor storage.

No leaks so far (fingers crossed) on ours, and I think the quality for an Ultra-Light is generally very good. The only issues with ours has been some scraping on the bottom of two of the slides, and a small fabric split in one of the window valance arms. Our dealer adjusted the slides and replaced the valance arm in under two weeks and I also had them swap the blue lights in the Renaissance fridge for white one's.

Mods so far
Goodyear Marathon LRD tires
Battery charge connector - (Charge without hooking up shore power)
OC awning supports on main awning
4x - 5" fence posts for storage - (Next to the steps and between the slides)
120mm quiet fridge fans and improved air baffle
Swapped both thermostats for residential digital units
12V LCD voltage monitor panel
Deleted the factory water filter

Planned mods
Split the kitchen AC outlets on to a 2nd breaker
Dimmers for awning lights
Tongue storage box
Move the sub-woofer from under the sink (yes really) to entertainment area
Add 20amp input, and install 2nd island AC outlet for space heater when on 30A
Move low point drain valves inside (space dependent)
Whatever else I can think of

Just waiting for warmer weather now
Old 02-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The problem is that I would have to take the trailer 60 miles to the dealer and they would not be able to get it in the shop for two months. Forest River would only pay for the caulking and not a service call that was $250. So doing the caulking is not rocket science. I think I have the skills to do that. And NO youroo they will NOT PAY FOR IT.
The shop that couldn't get you in for two mo. Did you buy it there?

And youroo is absolutely right.
Had you took your camper to the dealer to perform the roof re-seal forest river would have paid 100% of the bill.
Forest river does not pay for service calls unless your broke down along the road.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
We love ours, took delivery last September, and camped every weekend after including the first weekend in November.

After my wife saw the floor plan, everything else we looked at got compared to the 8329.
I think the two opposing slides and lack of overhead cabinets extending from a wall, make it very open feeling in the kitchen and living area. The entertainment center is in a perfect spot, and we like the room in the bedroom too. If we ever went back to a 5th wheel we really like the 8289WS, but not sure we'd want to give up the room the bedroom slide gives for the extra storage.

No leaks so far (fingers crossed) on ours, and I think the quality for an Ultra-Light is generally very good. The only issues with ours has been some scraping on the bottom of two of the slides, and a small fabric split in one of the window valance arms. Our dealer adjusted the slides and replaced the valance arm in under two weeks and I also had them swap the blue lights in the Renaissance fridge for white one's.

Mods so far
Battery charge connector - (Charge without hooking up shore power)
OC awning supports on main awning
4x - 5" fence posts for storage - (Next to the steps and between the slides)
120mm quiet fridge fans and improved air baffle
Swapped both thermostats for residential digital units
12V LCD voltage monitor panel
Deleted the factory water filter

Planned mods
Split the kitchen AC outlets on to a 2nd breaker
Dimmers for awning lights
Tongue storage box
Move the sub-woofer from under the sink (yes really) to entertainment area
Add 20amp input, and install 2nd island AC outlet for space heater when on 30A
Move low point drain valves inside (space dependent)

Just waiting for warmer weather now
believe it or not FR put my subwoofer under the entertainment center with no covers for the sound to come out. I had to cut in 2 speaker screens, one on each side. Much better. I swore I didn't have one. Made the dealer pull my fireplace to prove it was there. Another great FR design, just makes you scratch your head...

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
believe it or not FR put my subwoofer under the entertainment center with no covers for the sound to come out.
We ordered without the fireplace to get a bit more storage, and use an infrared heater for fall and early spring camping. The units I'd seen online, had a screen mesh in one of the entertainment cabinet doors and the sub-woofer was behind that.

Under our sink is a panel you remove to get to the WH bypass, and behind that is where I found the sub. So yeah, ours is inside a closed cabinet too and buried behind that panel.
Will mod one of the entertainment cabinet doors and move it there.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Very similar to the 3029W Windjammer we're considering. Love the opposing slides in back.
Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #15

Wow I know the feeling I am new to the forum but old to towing (popup 1969) I have 2013 Sig ultra light 8289ws w/Dimond pkg. Its in for a new roof i.e. plywood and rubber.Had leaks at the front cap center vent and skylight. Still love the 5er.

I tug it along with a 2013 Silverado 2500 Crew Longbed gaser.
rshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshultz View Post
Wow I know the feeling I am new to the forum but old to towing (popup 1969) I have 2013 Sig ultra light 8289ws w/Dimond pkg. Its in for a new roof i.e. plywood and rubber.Had leaks at the front cap center vent and skylight. Still love the 5er.

I tug it along with a 2013 Silverado 2500 Crew Longbed gaser.
How did you find the roof problem?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #17

Hi Fivealive
Had water in the skylight,service center replacing skylight found soft wood
pulled back rubber roof and found damaged plywood in other areas.
Lucky for me insurance covering most of cost.
It never rains in California except on my 5th.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
The shop that couldn't get you in for two mo. Did you buy it there?

And youroo is absolutely right.
Had you took your camper to the dealer to perform the roof re-seal forest river would have paid 100% of the bill.
Forest river does not pay for service calls unless your broke down along the road.
Yes
Old 02-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #19

We had a 2013 8289WS. Ordered it new, and took delivery on 12/4/2012. We think it was a lemon, maybe a late Friday afternoon build. In 2 years we replaced both axles twice, had an entire new roof installed, replaced the refer condenser unit, and had the kitchen faucet fail. I believe they (FR and other manufacturers) cut too many corners to produce an ultra light for ½ ton truck towing. We put more miles on our unit in one year than many owner's do in several years. We put 30,000 miles on it in 2 years. We have traded the 8289WS for a new Wildcat that is not an ultra light.

Perhaps we are wrong in our assessment. Time will tell. We loved the Rockwood, but just could not continue considering the past history.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #20

our 8289 was also a 2012 build we have had no other problems except them great tires they put on.
Motor homed to Alaska twice and didn't get that much mileage.

Tags
rockwood