Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Dr Travel

Rockwood Signature Ultralight squeaky floors

Okay, after five years of full-timing in our Rockwood Signature Ultralight fifth wheel, we have a problem!!

Ours is a rear kitchen model (no longer made by Rockwood, shame, shame, shame.) The floor in front of the sink has become "squeaky." Not like I would normally call squeaky, it is more like a cracking or creaking noise. When we put weight in that area, it makes that noise. Since it is in front of the sink and the oven, we step on it a lot, and boy, is it ever annoying. Only started happening when we set up for two months in Charlotte, NC

As I understand it, this rig is built on an aluminum frame, so there is no way to add screws into the flooring into joists to tighten it up. There is no floor softness, only that darned creaking/cracking noise.

Anyone have any ideas, insights, solutions? Driving us crazy after five years of blissful soundness and quiet.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

This would drive me bonkers. We've had a huge number of problems with our 2015 8280WS but not this one. Yet. We only half-time so it may yet crop up.

Allow me to brainstorm a bit here.

The floor there is only half inch plywood, yet is fairly solid, so I'm guessing there are floor joists in the area (aluminun?). There are probably screws through the plywood into the floor joists. Or not, lots of missing screws and ones that missed the target in various places in my Ultralite.

You might use a magnet to find the screws in the area. You'd have to dig down to the head to know whether it/they are tight and holding. Hang a small strong magnet via a string and let it find something steel under the vinyl. Dig down to the screw and see what you find.

Alternatively, you might put your eye/ear down close while the DW steps here and there and maybe pinpoint the source of the noise. Then go from there.

Clearly there is little movement, but you might spot it or hear it from up close. Or you could use an outside micrometer on a crossbar spanning the area to detect floor movement that isn't visible to the naked eye.

Feel around for a lump that might be a screw head pushing up on the vinyl from below.

If you can narrow down the problem area, the magnet I mentioned above might tell you where to dig a hole in the vinyl to get at the screw(s). If they don't tighten, they missed the floor joist.

There is a heating floor register near that area. The register is easily removed, but as I recall, the boot under it is fastened from below so can't be removed from above. Check me on this though (I abandoned mine, blocking off the register but left the boot in place I think because I could not remove it from above). The hole in the floor for the boot/register does cause a weak area around it and if the problem is in that area, it could be your problem. If you can get the boot loose, you might reach underneath, feeling for a screw that missed a joist or some such. Or use a camera.

Removing the coroplast-like bottom cover might get you somewhere since I don't think the galley tank is in that area. But, that's not a fun task. I'd explore all other options first.

If adding a screw or two into a floor joist is the solution, a stud finder would surely locate the floor joist.

We use a 20" x 30" foam backed "rug" in front of our sink. I wonder if something like that would dampen the floor movement. Long shot but just might help.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, light, rockwood