Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Scotsman

Rockwood Surround Sound Issue

Anyone have an answer to this issue. We have a 2015 Rockwood 5th. The only way I can use the TV sound through the surround sound option on the radio is to have the TV volume on, and at a pretty high volume. If the TV volume is not on I get nothing out of the surround sound option. Am I missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

What system are you using?
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Anyone have an answer to this issue. We have a 2015 Rockwood 5th. The only way I can use the TV sound through the surround sound option on the radio is to have the TV volume on, and at a pretty high volume. If the TV volume is not on I get nothing out of the surround sound option. Am I missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Try this thread. " Help With iRV 66 and Satellite" and my response using the OIS cable. It made a world of difference in my case. If you leave a little TV volume it will sound like a reverb unit

jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

There is a cheap Jenson radio/DVD/surround sound system installed on my TT. There are multiple external inputs on it. My tv input is on AU2 (not AV2). To use the radio for surround sound I need to scroll through the inputs until I to AU2. All volumn control is through the radio and the TV volumn is turned to zero. If you have the Jenson system, you need to scroll through the inputs until you find the one your tv is contected to.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Scotsman

Sorry Guy's, I should have listed the system that we have, it is a IRV Technologic System. It used to be Jensen. I don't think this is much of an improvement. Thanks for your replies so far.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Sorry Guy's, I should have listed the system that we have, it is a IRV Technologic System. It used to be Jensen. I don't think this is much of an improvement. Thanks for your replies so far.
Is there a model name or number?
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 AM   #7

It sounds like your radio and TV are connected using the old style av cables (red, white, and yellow RCA connectors) instead of an HDMI cable. That setup would use the TV volume control. Posting the model number / model name is the only way anyone could possibly help you further.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #8

On the iRVtechnologies - press the "source" button (src, I think) and pick "TV AUDIO", that works for us when we want to hear it outside (#3 speaker) - It will probably work on the #1 or #2 speakers also. In our old camper stereo unit, you would turn the TV down all the way and use the volumn button on the stereo stystem - this one does not do that.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Any suggestion? OK, here goes: Get a manual and read it. (Hey, you said "any suggestion...")
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
The radio volume must also be increased.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #11

It actually depends on the TV you have for this.
I have a 2015 8289ws, the TV that came with the unit is still in there.
BUT yes, the IRV will go up and down with the tv volume, it is not static.
What I do is, turn the IRV unit all the way up, with the tv volume down quite a bit, then adjust to hear it.
It sounds like you have the same set up as me, from what I found you WILL have to have some tv volume to hear the tv through your ceiling speakers.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:

It is possible that it might be connected incorrectly. I would check proper output from TV to proper input to surround system.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #13

We have Rockwood 8281 ultralight 5th wheel. Equipped with a Toshiba TV and the IRV66 stereo unit. After we got the IRV66 issues solved, we found that you had to have the TV's sound on in order to use the sound from the Stereo unit. We ended up swapping out the tv with a couple year old Samsung. Not we can use the stereo and have the TV sound off. The Toshiba our RV came with is a very low eend model.

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
On the iRVtechnologies - press the "source" button (src, I think) and pick "TV AUDIO", that works for us when we want to hear it outside (#3 speaker) - It will probably work on the #1 or #2 speakers also. In our old camper stereo unit, you would turn the TV down all the way and use the volumn button on the stereo stystem - this one does not do that.
I was turning the volume way up on our TV (same system) and couldn't hardly hear it with the AC going. I had to turn the volume way up on the receiver unit and then use the TV volume to adjust, and it works fine.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
Scotsman

Thanks for everyone's impute. You shouldn't have to have the TV volume turned way up with this system to be able to use the surround sound system. The TV (Toshiba) sound does not sound good with the surround sound. The manual does not cover this issue. LOL. I will take a look at how this is wired as suggested by some and see if I can come up with anything. Enjoy your Summer camping and stay safe. Cheers!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #16

I haven't actually tried ours yet (first trip coming up this week), but the manual says that one of the selectable inputs is the HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) which should take audio back from the TV over the HDMI cable, so long as the TV supports the Audio Return Channel, and that the TV is connected to the correct HDMI port on the unit.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Scotsman

Hope you have a great trip and don't find to many things that are wrong with the trailer. We have been very lucky with ours. Just got it in March. I know with the radio that it has many different set ups but it will depend on how they hooked it up in the back of the unit. I guess I'm going to have to have a look behind the radio and see what plug they have used. Thanks for your response. Cheers!

Tags
rockwood