Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #1

Rockwood tire pressure warning system

We have a 2008 Rockwood 8285SS. The purchase came with a Secutire Tire Pressure Monitoring System. It should be noted that the trigger pressure for a low tire warning is documented to be 28lbs. At this point the flat tire is gone and the 5th wheel may be in the ditch. Rockwood specifies 50lbs in the tires. We have worked with our dealer, Rockwood, and the China website for Secutire. No one can tell us how to increase the warning pressure. Do not buy this unit!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We also unfortunately, also purchased the Securite system. Another problem is that the system doesn't display the actual tire pressure. You have to take the sensor off the valve stem using the tool that comes with the kit to check the actual pressure with a gauge...a real pain in the $#@$! As I want to be able to check the tire pressures whenever we stop, the monitoring systemm is now sitting in a box!

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

Tire Pressure system can be adjusted

The Secutire Tire Pressure Monitoring System from Rockwood/Flagstaff can be adjusted to increase the Trigger Point to a pressure nearer the 50lbs recommended for the tires. The process will take some time and patience.

It will take a very small tool to move the screw. The tire stem valve is in the center of the silver adjuster. You must use the two notches on the side of this stem to rotate the silver part. This needs to be rotated almost all the way it will go clockwise. This is not too far. I set the tire at 48lbs.

1) When the alarm goes off I then put the tire at 48.5 lbs and then turned the screw a very little amount counterclockwise until the alarm stops. This requires you to take the sensor off the tire.

2) Then I check it at 48lbs to make sure it comes on. If the alarm is still off turn clockwise a very small amount. Again, this requires you to take the sensor off the tire.

3) Repeat the steps 1 2 until both tests are met.

I would have the unit put together and rotate the unit onto the valve stem. It would not be real tight. I would then take the unit off and take it apart to adjust it. Then put it back together and mount it.
A digital pressure gauge is recommended because the adjustment is very sensitive to small pressure changes. A tire pump is recommended to adjust the tire pressure as you will loose some air as you take the sensor on/off to adjust it. A portable 12 volt supply for the monitor really helps. Also, I used a spare tire to mount the sensor on
Old 10-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #4

I need to correct my instructions on adjusting the Tire Pressure System. I stated that the base unit was put on the valve stem and not tightened during adjustments. THIS WAS A MISTAKE! The base unit must be on the valve stem tight. The trigger point will be 4 lbs higher when on loose than when it is on tight. So my 28lbs I was setting the trigger point at was really 24lbs when finally installed on the 5th wheel tires.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #5

I need to correct my instructions on adjusting the Tire Pressure System. I stated that the base unit was put on the valve stem and not tightened during adjustments. THIS WAS A MISTAKE! The base unit must be on the valve stem tight. The trigger point will be 4 lbs higher when on loose than when it is on tight. So my 48lbs I was setting the trigger point at was really 44lbs when finally installed on the 5th wheel tires.

Tags
rockwood