Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #11

I think it important to say that many tires are built in China, even Goodyear. The correct thing to look for is proper tires for the job. Right load capacity, inflation and care. I have Trail Express as well and plan on changing them. My choices from local Tire Supplier all are made in China, Mexico or Bulgaria.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #12

Our Rockwood TT came from the factory with Trail Express load range C tires. After reading the posts about all the issues with tires, I decided to replace them and move up to load range D's. Did a lot of research and found Greenball Tow Masters to be highly recommended by a guy with a fleet of landscape and cargo trailers. Had them about a year now - check the cold pressure before every trip, watch the pressure and temp with an in cab monitor, the trailer pulls better, and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any issues. And I get to tell people I have "green balls!"

Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

I've seen the green balls. They look pretty good. Had goodyears on my last trailer. They were excellent. I'm disappointed that FR decided to use c range tires on a 5er of any size. They are actually still building my 5er, any body know if I could get them to upgrade at the factory???

2007.5 RAM 2500 6.7CTD G56 4WD
moorecrew02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Just walked out to check the tires on our new 5er. Guess which tires are on it....

drum roll........

Trail Express

Those'll be replaced *soon*. And we've only towed it the 90 miles home from the dealer.
Weezer,dont you live down the street from (WMtire)? Go see what tires he has on his unit! Youroo!!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

We feel fortunate that we didn't have a blowout on our 5'er tires, given we traveled 11,000+ miles, on the factory tires. After hearing all of the problems, we bit the bullet and changed all four tires prior to heading south this winter. So happy we did.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #16

What did you use for replacement?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #17

We put on "Power King" tires, upgraded to "D's". The tire also has the words "Towing STR" on them. So far so good.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecrew02 View Post
I've seen the green balls. They look pretty good. Had goodyears on my last trailer. They were excellent. I'm disappointed that FR decided to use c range tires on a 5er of any size. They are actually still building my 5er, any body know if I could get them to upgrade at the factory???
Most likely not. I just ordered a new Palomino Puma instead of a Rockwood for this very reason. Puma comes with 4400lb axles and D rated tires (10K + total weight rating) whereas the Rockwood Signature Ultralite comes with 3500 pound axles and C rated tires. The campers weigh about the same. I think the primary problem is loading the tires close to their weight limit and the rated limit is a little bit liberal. If I were you, I'd definitely be looking at D rated tires as soon as you get that Rockwood. Also, be cautious when turning into sloped drives where you could put most of the load on a single tire. The SUL uses the torsion axles and each one is independent. Possible to severely overload one by angling into a sloped drive, for example. I spoke to a Rockwood rep and a Dexter axle rep(IIRC) before making my decision. Rockwood rep was very helpful, but basically told me that they chose the axles, tires, wheels, etc. for a reason and they are what they are coming from the factory- and I decided I just wasn't comfortable dragging around an 8,000 lb camper on 3500 lb axles and C rated tires, even with hitch weight considered.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #19

Also, my current Puma as well as my in laws, and my previous Thor TT have all had Triangle tires. Never any problems. They've all had D rated, though, and had a much higher load capacity than they were actually carrying. I think, like I said, this is the key to avoiding tire failures.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #20

I am not sure just tires are the problem. Just came back from a 2000 mile trip. I run 60mph and lots of folks running considerably faster went by. While chatting with the "trailer folks" most of them are not aware of the loads they are carrying and the limit on speed. The manufacturers share part of the blame. I bought a used 8285WS (3500lb axles) and if I use the gross weight posted and the axle and tire combination it is virtually impossible to get to the total gross weight without exceeding the axle or tire limits. (I also wonder about the 1/2 ton towable stuff)

I changed to "d" rated tires and load carefully. I bought Hercules tires - one of the few 205/75/15 with a "d" rating. They were very "round" on the balancer and took less than 1 ounce to balance. I have had them on my truck for over 20,000 and had no problems. So far with 2000 miles on the trailer they seem okay.

I am also sure that the "made for trailer use only" is the manufacturers way of getting around potential liability. Not many folks die from a trailer tire failure but a different story with car tires - remember the Firestone problems.

Tags
rockwood, tire