Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Rockwood tire problems

The story that keeps on giving. Tires made in China. Have blown 7 tires in 10 years, all Chinese. The latest on a new trailer. Took delivery of a new Rockwood 5th wheel July 2012.Tires called “Trail Express” sold to Forest River by a company called “Lionshead Specialty tires and rims” installed from the factory. Long story but will shorten it. I noted upon arriving at our final destination in Florida that one tire was not holding air pressure. Upon examination discovered two tires with tread separation. Good news is they were discovered at the campground. Called Forrest River who advised me to contact Lionshead. Lionshead response”sorry one year warranty and that’s it” No discussion, they could care less. Called Forest River back and after discussion they agreed to give me $75.00 per tire and suggested I replace all four, which I did. Found a good company in Fort Myers, FL to deal with. The owner, in business for 33 years, was very aware of the Chinese problem. His company is a commercial dealer serving the 18 wheel industry with limited direct retail sales.He told me tires he refuses to install, including the Goodyear Marathon WHICH ARE ONE OF THE WORST. He suggested a tire called TRAILER KING, Chinese made, but seems to have a good record (researched and did not discover any complaints online). He has been installing them for walk in customers like me with no failures that he is aware of. These tires have a one year, no prorate full replacement warranty, and prorate warranty after one year. They have national service with an 800 number for assistance. He came to the campground and installed them since with two bad tires I could not move. Thought I would pass the info along. Please note that I regard the assistance from Forrest River as being reasonable but well below expectations. This is a sixteen month old 5th wheel and my out of pocket expense to cover this mess exceeded $500.00 .What in the world are we going to do about the Chinese made junk flooding our free market?????

keypunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
this is a major problem in the RV market. We all have lots of $$$$ riding on Chinese junk. I'm surprised to hear a bad review on the Goodyears. Never used them myself, but have always read good stuff about them. If nothing else, I would think Goodyear would care more than some Chinese company and the warranty would be better.

David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
File a complaint.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Are there any tires that are worth towing? Looks as if any brand picked has horror stories about separation and blow outs causing damage. But then again, in my years of travel it is rare to see anyone but me pulling at 65mph max. May be related?...
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express
Liberty Edition 320BHDS

2007.5 RAM 2500 6.7CTD G56 4WD
moorecrew02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
My last travel trailer, a Jayco Swift SLX, had tire issues right off the bat. Would not hold air. I was in the midst of a ten day trip and was pretty worried! It turned out to be loose air stem valves. Around $5 at NAPA solved it. I bought the tool to tighten them and a handful spare valves (which were never needed). The tires were never a problem again. They were Power King Tow Max tires, made in China.
2014 Rockwood 2306
Fastway E2 equalizing hitch
Prodigy P2 brake controller
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
I'm interested to see the specs of the tire you had and the specs of your trailer?

pin weight and load on the axles.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
First,blew Four Marathons on previous trailer,never tow over 65mph,trailer weight checked often on scales after loaded and tire pressure more frequent than my blood pressure.Trailer gross rating 9657 with factory load range c ( marginal rated) on new trailer.Traveling at 7157 lb on axles, tanks empty,1560 lb on Pin.Total about 8900 with 1/4 tank of water for rest area use.Been doing this for 30 plus years,never an issue with tires until around 2003.We travel as light as possible.......The dealer I referenced is a commercial type merchant.Deals with flat bed construction trailers,landscapers and car hauler rigs.The primary reason I posted was to share his experience with a tire I never heard of.It was worth trying given my prior experience with the rest of the junk being installed and to share the story about Forest River and their supplier.Hope it helps.Please note,shifted weight more to front compartment to put more weight on pin ( truck) to reduce axlw weight slightly . New tires are load range E.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
the whole tire thing on trailers worries the hell out of me. seems there are a lot of problems. when I looked at the load capacity of the tires compared to my gvwr on my new trailer it was really close. I had my dealer go up one size to give me a little more wiggle room. I have a little over 10% more capacity than gvwr now. hopefully that helps. I will have to check what kind they are now. the ones that came with the trailer were Westlake.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
Your concern is well grounded.After coast to coast traveling over the many years we are getting out this year.We have blown tires on bridges with no way to get clear of traffic etc.There was a suggestion to report to the NTSB .I worked in legislation and resided just outside of DC.Friends with a retired airline pilot who consults for them.The problem with the NTSB is they only really care about injury( AND ONLY HAVE THE BUDGET TO DO SO) and not property damage. ST rated tire are not rated for passenger use and do not receive attention.The fact is,injuries are very low, lower than passenger tires in general so they pay little attention.The analogy would be a blown car motor on a trip.pain in the butt,did damage and could have caused an accident but???? it aint their safety issue.The dealers are frustrated and the warranty rep with Forrest River reflected that in his voice and actions.The only action I see has to come from the trailer sellers putting pressure on their legislatures.The action I take is not saying a good word about any Chinese product until such action is taken to stop the Chinese from dumping this crap . Shame on American companies for putting their name on this junk.I will be meeting with our local Congressman when we return home and try to garner some support.These tires are causing millions of dollars in damage as I see it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Just walked out to check the tires on our new 5er. Guess which tires are on it....

drum roll........

Trail Express

Those'll be replaced *soon*. And we've only towed it the 90 miles home from the dealer.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

rockwood, tire