Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Rockwood Ultra Lite 2609WS

Hello all. I joined this forum looking at a mini lite 2509. My wife doesn't like the murphy bed. We were leaning towards a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH as a result. Our dealer also carries Rockwood, and our in laws were shown a Ultra lite and I really liked it, but it didn't meet a few points of our criteria. Namely I want something under 30 feet total length, with bunks and an outdoor kitchen. The new 2609WS is going to get a very good look before we buy. There are a number of standard features we really like.

For those that own an Ultra Lite, what are your likes/dislikes? Can you access the bedroom with the slide closed (assuming you don't have a second door for the bedroom)?
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
Hello all. I joined this forum looking at a mini lite 2509. My wife doesn't like the murphy bed. We were leaning towards a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH as a result. Our dealer also carries Rockwood, and our in laws were shown a Ultra lite and I really liked it, but it didn't meet a few points of our criteria. Namely I want something under 30 feet total length, with bunks and an outdoor kitchen. The new 2609WS is going to get a very good look before we buy. There are a number of standard features we really like.

For those that own an Ultra Lite, what are your likes/dislikes? Can you access the bedroom with the slide closed (assuming you don't have a second door for the bedroom)?
Last year we found ourselves in the same situation you find yourself in. We liked the 2706WS but found that it was too long and heavy for our truck at the time. We also knew that it would be harder to find storage and harder to maneuver with. We looked at the Imagine 2400BH but was not a fan of the build quality or the crammed headboard on the bed. I have always liked the 2509s and while it has its limitations it’s a solid rig with great room and adapatability. The 2609WS wasn’t announced until September and we had already camped in our 2509s for about two weeks. Initially my wife hated the 2509s, she hated the Murphy bed and sink location. I loved the size and portability.

Today I have a 2509s and have shown fifth wheels to my wife as well as the 2609WS and she says she is happy with what we have, that the Murphy bed hasn’t been a hassle as she expected and that while the theater seating is attractive that would limit our searing arrangement and eliminate the dinette that our toddler uses to play on in the mornings and evenings. My wife says that while the trailer isn’t perfect it suits us the best at the current time.

If I was picking today my decision would be between the 2509 and the 2609, if I was going to go larger I would want a 5th wheel. Between the two is a hard choice as neither is perfect but I want you to ask yourselves these questions.

Can I tow a 2609WS? This trailer has a dry toungue weight of 850 lbs, by the time you add a battery or two and place items in the forward pass through and wardrobe slide you will be pushing closer to 1,000. Most of the storage space on this trailer is forward of the axles. Need a second A/C, that will add weight to the toungue as well.

How much seating do I need? With two the 2509 you will have the dinette and sofa/bed in the living space. Kid and wife hang out in bed watching paw patrol while I make breakfast, then they just rolled down and we sit in the dinette if it’s a cold/wet morning.

How much storage? The 2509 gives up the cavernous pass through the 2609 has, theirs is plenty of spaces but one has to get creative with larger items.

The main thing is if you can tow it, or more importantly is have the payload for it. The mini will force you to place items under the dinette (over axle) while the 2609 will lure you to place it on the pass through. In real world numbers the toungue weight between these two will be 200 to 300 lbs difference. One thing I didn’t mention, with the bed up, the 2509 has more living space. I lust over the 2609WS, but I am glad we have the 2509. Its flexibility and size make the journey more enjoyable... and don’t forget it’s about where you camp not what you camp in... whatever you go with, they are great trailers and will serve you well. Good luck. If you have any questions about the 2509, let me know.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:05 PM   #3

Thank you! This is where I'm torn right now. We were initially sold on the GD, but reading their forums, and social media the spring and axle issues they're having are a massive turn off as is the cabled mechanism for the dump valves. I can deal with the typical stuff that goes with a travel trailer. Those are major design flaws in my opinion.

I would also prefer actual heat pads on the tanks vs taking hot air away from the living area.

Our in laws are considering buying property and we could be spending quite a bit of time dry camping. The tanks on the 2609 are huge, and that's a big appeal.

I have a 13 F150 and know if I go to a 2609, I'm buying a 3/4 or 1 ton.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #4

Get the second trailer first. Upgrade the truck and get the trailer that will fit your needs!

We went trailer shopping FIRST. I had planned on getting a smaller TT but when we saw the 2608 it was over!

Bought the truck the day after to fit my needs. We'll be in this combo for a ling long time!

To answer your questiins - we love the ultra light. And yes, we can access the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen with slides in on the 2608. Love the second door!

Good luck with your decision.
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
Thank you! This is where I'm torn right now. We were initially sold on the GD, but reading their forums, and social media the spring and axle issues they're having are a massive turn off as is the cabled mechanism for the dump valves. I can deal with the typical stuff that goes with a travel trailer. Those are major design flaws in my opinion.

I would also prefer actual heat pads on the tanks vs taking hot air away from the living area.

Our in laws are considering buying property and we could be spending quite a bit of time dry camping. The tanks on the 2609 are huge, and that's a big appeal.

I have a 13 F150 and know if I go to a 2609, I'm buying a 3/4 or 1 ton.
If going down the route of the larger truck ensure that you look into the 10k GVWR of ¾ ton and payload when they are Diesel engine equipped.

Also, if looking to go larger why not look at the Ultra 2781 5th wheel. When towing down the road you would be similar length to the 2509, but have 32 feet of living space.
Atrrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, rockwood