Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

ROCKWOOD Ultra V trailer info

I am considering the purchase of either a Rockwood Ultra Lite V, models 2618 VS or a 2515 VS. I would appreciate any information by owners past or present with your experience with these models. Regarding fit and finish, quality control, general impression of the overall trailer. Which of these two models would you recommend, and reasons why. And any other hints or recommendations you may have. Thanks
paule253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

rockwood ultra V trailers

I don't see a 2515vs listed on the Forest River website,If your talking about the 2715vs,then that's a different story. I/we have a 2715vs and love it. One of the pluses is that it has two gray water tanks.also the double sink's in the bathroom are nice.We have the table and chair's configuration which take's the trailer look out of the interior. About the only thing we don't like is that you have to move the recliners to bring in the living room slide'and they are heavy and not real easy to move.Other than that it's is a great trailer. Easy to pull and set up.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Sorry, you are correct the model is the 2715VS I noticed the same thing about the recliners. Can you put some type of covering on the floor to make movement easier? Are your recliners also the swivel type? They seem even harder to move. I did not see the trailer with the slides in, so are you able to use the kitchen and access the refrigerator when in? We sometimes spend the night at stops that we are unable to extend our slides. Can you install two batteries in the trailer? Thanks for your response.
paule253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

2715vs

We put those furniture mover slide things under the recliners and it does make moving them easier.Yes we have the swivel recliners, they are very comfortable.and yes you can use the kitchen with the slides in, no problem opening the fridge or using the stove top. I was thinking to replace the bedroom door with a sliding door so that we could use the bathroom without going through the other exterior door.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

I opted for the 2618 mainly due to the location of the bathroom. Traveling with the DW there isn't a problem but when on fishing trips with the guys, I didn't particularly like the idea of them tromping through my bedroom to get to the bathroom.

If it's just you and the DW or close friends (wink, wink) you should really enjoy the 2715.
av8ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #6

We've had our 2618VS for a couple of years, and no problems other than a sticky shower door. I believe that the new models have the curved shower front which I would prefer. I just upgraded the tires to Goodyear Endurance with a load range D, and added a TST507 TPMS. We are heading out tomorrow for our fist trip since this upgrade. It has always towed well, just wanted better tires and a greater margin of safety.

One upgrade we are considering is to replace the loveseat with a couple of small recliners since it just the two of us, and we don't need the extra sleeping space. The kitchen works well and the bedroom is comparable to many 5th wheel models.

We would not hesitate to buy another Rockwood, but might upgrade to a Cedar Creek Silverback when I retire and we can travel more.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

We have the 2715vs and really like it. It tows really well and we like the bathroom with two vanities. We have the swivel recliners and this is the only thing we had a problem with to start with. They have four small little rubber feet on the bottom ring and these things put some pretty bad divits in the floor. I took them off and cut four small pieces of carpet and zip tied them to the bottoms of the recliners, now they are easier to move and do not hurt the floor. Also you do not want to move the recliner into the doorway all the way to the door when towing where the right arm scrubs the end of the kitchen counter, we did this a couple of times and then found out the slide does not come in so far so you can leave the chair a little out into the room. Doing this prevents scuffing up the arm on the recliner on the countertop as we did. One other thing we noticed about this trailer is movement when parked when someone walks through it. We solved it with a set of Xchocks. Overall you will love this unit. Hope this helps.
kfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
SafetyCamper

Response to your request for feedback on the 2715VS

My Wife and I bought a 2016 Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS (Emerald Edition) from Camping World in Hanover PA. We did a great amount of research and planning for this purchase since it was our very first Brand New Camper! (had many used one's before). This one was exactly what we were looking for! Ours has the bathroom in the nose - with the dual vanity sinks... really nice feature!!! It has a nice size shower too. This really utilizes every inch of this unit. We choose the freestanding dining table and chairs...since we did not need extra sleeping areas. The bed is really comfortable as well! The Corian counter tops are a nice touch and we opted for some additional upgrades to meet all of our needs/wants. The recliners are a bit to move around to close the slide.... but like our friend earlier stated,,,, I put the furniture sliders on them and now they are not too bad to move. It is very easy to pull down the road and maneuver. **All that said - we did have many issues with it right from the start... The Air conditioner stopped working properly in July (during a really hot weekend), the slides needed adjusted, and then the refrigerator quit on us!...(CW fought with the manufacturer over this and finally I insisted that they give me a new fridge...which they did). I am sure that we got a "Monday morning model"... CW did get everything fixed up and working properly.... but this took much time and we lost valuable camping time right out of the gate. All of this caused much frustration... so, after threatening to call my lawyer to pursue legal action.... I made CW give us an additional full warranty on this unit (4 more years)! It is working great so far this year and we really do love this camper... Even with all of this.... I would still recommend that you give this unit serious consideration. Good Luck! JW
SafetyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule253 View Post
I am considering the purchase of either a Rockwood Ultra Lite V, models 2618 VS or a 2515 VS. I would appreciate any information by owners past or present with your experience with these models. Regarding fit and finish, quality control, general impression of the overall trailer. Which of these two models would you recommend, and reasons why. And any other hints or recommendations you may have. Thanks
We are proud owners of a 2015 2715VS. My wife and I both believe this is the finest trailer we've ever owned and we have owned MANY. We love the floor plan and roominess. After having to sleep in a near fetal position in a short RV Queen bed it seems like heaven to have a full sized queen bed. We also have the table and chairs in place of the dinette which suits us perfectly. Having the 2 person large bathroom up front off the bedroom is fabulous and the trailer has soooooo much more inside storage than any other trailer we've ever had. We highly recommend it.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #10

We have the Flagstaff version of the Ultra V, I fabricated some felt pads, and secured them with tie straps to go around and over the buttons on the chairs bottom. Makes them slide way easier. My friend has the Rockwood version and I made a set of the felt pads for him too, since he had the same issues with the chairs. We ordered ours with the dinette for the extra sleeping area, and the exterior storage access under one of the benches. We were'nt overly impressed with the quality of the table and chair setup for the $. I've done lots of mods and tweaking to it. We pretty much like it.
We ordered ours with minimal carpet, so no carpet in bedroom to collect sand. Had an extra fantastic fan put in living area. We were able to get our dealer to substitute that RVQ for a either 2 or 3 burner stove that hangs on the rail. That would be a great thing to consider . I have the 3 burner, my friend got the 2 burner which is way easier to store. For sure, they are the stoves from a PUP, and really sweet. I think I use it more than my Weber Q.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:23 AM   #11

We purchased our 2618VS Emerald Edition back in February. Now been out twice with it - the last one trip for 2 weeks over Memorial Day. We upgraded from a Wildwood and the difference is night & day. Fit & finish is excellent. We opted for maple cabinets, wood look flooring in the kitchen/living room and carpet in the bedroom. We looked at several Rockwoods before settling on the 2618VS floor plan with the front kitchen. It seemed to work best for our family of three.
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #12

Have you considered the Windjammers? We have the 3025W. Pretty similar configuration exception our recliners are on the LR Slide and the couch is on the rear wall. It also appears that the tongue weight is less than the 2715. We love this camper. The BR double sinks are very nice. It comes with an island that contains the sinks. Give it a look. But in either case - welcome to the V-Nose club.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #13

We also love our Rockwood Ultra V. The Windjammers are beautiful as well but a little pricier. We too switched from a Wildwood to the 2715VS and found the difference in quality to be amazing. We really love the storage area. We have so much storage in our Rockwood it's amazing. As Russ mentioned our tongue weight is very high at 1400 pounds. I had to install airbags to help the Blue Ox hitch manage. We're old folks, just the two of us so the front bath and bedroom work perfectly. We love the large living area. As I write this we are camping in the Ocala National Forest and we are in the middle of a huge downpour. Happy to have such a nice trailer in this weather!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:41 AM   #14

We just bought 3001w windjammer 35 ft pulling with 2500 Ram Desiel Larmere, switched from wildwood 24ft extra lite backpack addition. All we can say, completely thrilled. Just took it on our big trip for the year, no pull, sway or anything through the VA, TN and NC mountains with thunderstorms and heavy rain. V-Nose made all the world of difference. Our V nose is additional closet off the bed room. So looking forward to Niagara Falls this month.
mlk089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #15

Welcome to the V-nose family!
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #16

We purchased the 2811vs and are very happy. Only improvement I could add would be the vent covers. They seem to be thin plastic as ours leaked in first rain
Camping_RLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 AM   #17

MaxxAir covers are great. I added an original MaxxAir to the front (kitchen) and the MaxxAir II to the back (bedroom). And it came with the FanMate on the bathroom vent.
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
Have you considered the Windjammers? We have the 3025W. Pretty similar configuration exception our recliners are on the LR Slide and the couch is on the rear wall. It also appears that the tongue weight is less than the 2715. We love this camper. The BR double sinks are very nice. It comes with an island that contains the sinks. Give it a look. But in either case - welcome to the V-Nose club.
X2,

I have the Flagstaff version (30 WIKSS VLite) and love it! So much room and inside storage.
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #19

I have a 2016 2715vs ultra lite. I took the recliners out and put in a futon where the couch was at and moved the dining table to the back where the recliners were. We love the trailer.
Kentuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #20

We have had the unique experience of owning both a 2015 Windjammer 2715 and an Ultra V 2618. There are pros and cons to both:
2715 Pros:
- Great floorplan
- Amazing bathroom
- Loved recliners in the back
2715 Cons:
- Recliners are heavy to move to pull slide in.
- With bedroom slide in, you have to crawl over bed to get to bathroom.
- Awkward to get to kitchen with slides in -- recliners crowd front access. You can get to kitchen from rear a little easier.
(We no longer own the 2715 because we had a wreck when a tire blew and it was totaled after less than 500 miles on it. Regardless of what you buy, replace the tires! But that's another story)!

We then bought a 2618. For the most part, we love it.
2618 Pros:
- Great floorplan
- Amazing bedroom/bathroom/storage
- Kitchen and living area is great for the 2 of us and our 30 pound dog.
- We have considered replacing the couch with 2 recliners but have not done so yet.
2618 Cons:
- Have had few warranty issues. Biggest one was the air went out. Luckily we had purchased the FR 2nd year extended warranty so it was covered.
- Biggest concern to us has been towing. It has much more sway than our previous trailers. We have a Reece Dual Cam hitch.
- Living space can get a bit tight but overall, we love our Ultra V.
boxfordhp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, trailer