Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Rockwood Ultralite 2604SS Slidout Help

We own a 2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2604SS Travel Trailer. When it was delivered to us we were supplied two handcranks. One is for the operation of the jackstands and the second for the manual operation of the slideout should an electrical problem or motor failure occur. Well I have tried to find where the access point for this handcrank is on our trailer. I was told by Forest River that there is an access panel under the travel trailer. I can find no such access! I took pictures and e-mailed them to Forest River (they are attached to this thread as well) and they concurred with me. They forgot to make one when the trailer was built! To help me find and make an access they sent me a blueprint of the slideout rails which to me is indecipherable and shows no such location! I have again requested help from Rockwood in an effort to locate same. I am being told that they no longer use this slideout mechanism in the 2011 model year, they use an actuator type instead? My request to them was that they send me a photograph of an access panel on a newly built 2604SS to aid me in installing one in my trailer! So a photograph is out. I therefore come to you on this forum to hopefully have an owner of a 2010 rig like ours supply us with a photograph or two to aid me in locating the point in the trailer underbelly that I need to cut to install the access point for the manual crank. The factory was kind enough to supply me with a 12" by 12" piece of underbelly material to cover the access hole that I make, so I assume that the access port does not need to be very large! Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to remove the entire underbelly to find this spot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Photo 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	5872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Photo 2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Photo 3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	5874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Photo 4.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	5875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underbelly Photo 5.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	5876  

Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

I was under the impression that the two supplied cranks are for 1) the side jacks which has a 3/4 socket built into it, and 2) the power tongue jack manual crank, which has a circular end with slots on each side. I honestly have never researched the slide outs needing manual override; and I have experienced one not working, but it was a fuse under the camper near the tongue.
I do however agree that there MUST be a way to do this without power, if the need arises. I thought that the motor has a gearbox with a slot in the end that the crank handle fits in to manually turn the transmission gear and therefore move the track in or out. I'm gonna look under mine to make sure of that, since you've brought it up! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #3

Gunnarts,

Check under your couch inside the camper. If your slideout is similar to our 2901SS there will be an electric motor under the couch that has a shaft protruding from the face of the gearbox for manual crank operation. Let me know if you need a pic of mine to help in locating yours.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

slide out

I have a 2011 rockwood 2304s ultra light.I have a 12x12" cover in the under belly with screws in it thats where the motor is their is a nut on the outside of the motor\gearbox one unit ,turn that with a socket+ratchet to move slide in or out.Your manual kranks are for stabalizers+ power tonge jack. Maybe someone with a 2604ss can take a picture.It will be under the slide probably in the middle.
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Ours is under the couch (inside) where the motor is located. We have a 2902SS with 2 slides and the other location is under the bed in the extra slide out.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Arn
Arn

I have the same model. Mine is underneath just behind the axles. You can see a very slight bulge in the underbelly but there is no access cut out. You have to remove a few screws & drop part of it. If you still can't find it, stick your head under in that area & have someone operate the slide for you. You'll hear the motor & be able to pinpoint the location.

Arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
dap

I have the 2011 2604SS and one of the supplied handles has a notch cut in the end,this slips into a hole in the door side of the trailer by the front tire to work the slideout.If you look under the fender cover the point of attachment is visible.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Treetop Flyer

Lightbulb

Rockwood has gone to an actuator system for the larger slideout rooms. These systems have a convenient handle and access hole to manaully operate the slide room should the need arise.

Prior to the actuator, they used the slide motor that the OP is having trouble finding. First, it's located underneath the slide room; early units have no access hole, later units have a 12" x 12" (+/-) access hole. If the slide motor has stopped working and you hear no sound, there should be a 30A inline fuse towards the front of the trailer under the frame. I think the wire and fuse holder are green. If the fuse is good (and/or you hear the motor grinding but no movement), then it's time to manually operate the slide motor. You'll need to access the motor and disconnect the wires from the wire nuts. There are 4 wires coming from the slide motor. The 2 smaller gauge wires will have to be connected to a cordless drill battery or similar to release the brake. While the wires are contacting the battery, (you may need an extra set of hands), use a 5/8" wrench or socket to turn the 5/8" nut on the rear of the motor. That should move the room in and out. It's important to have the wires connected to a power source; if the brake is not released, the nut will snap off rather quickly.

ParrotHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #9

Hi We have a 2010 flagstaff Ultra light Rear Kitchen. Our Slide "Froze" because a fuse blew...but we learned that we also could not crank the slide out when inserting the crank rod directly under center of the slide. We took it back to the dealer and he broke the teeth on the thingie that cranks the slide out and had to put a new one in. He said it had "rusted shut" in 9 months...so...we greased the new one. I think we have a similar unit to yours...if you want to talk to my hubby about this..let me know...D.
DBlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #10

Mine is inside on the slide out under our couch

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #11

Dear ParrotHead;

How much voltage must be applied to the two smaller gage wires to release the brake? I'm guessing that the system requires 12 V. If so I'll have to check the voltage on my cordless drill battery. I'm wondering why Forest River does not provide this information to 2604SS Owners with the electric motor system. It certainly sounds like the actuator system is the better way to go. I would like to know is the actuator system hydraulic or electrical in operation?
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #12

We have a 2012, 2604 and the crank point is just in front and above the tire, R/H side of trlr. There is a 1" dia black plug you remove and the use the crank with the slotted head on it to crank slide in or out.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, ultralite