Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
WFD

Rockwood Water Filter systems

We just ordered a new Rockwood 8289 and was wondering what those of you with the factory installed water filters think of them, good, bad, or indifferent. We have always used an exterior water filter system and have been happy with that...no chance of leaks inside the compartment, but Rockwood doesn't give you a choice, the factory filter is standard equipment.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Not Rockwood-
I had the dealer remove the filter from a cabinet and replace it with a piece of tubing.
I'll use a filter on the outside if I want to.
No way I'm going to lay on the floor and contort my way to the filter while risking spills and leaks twice a year!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Owner/Operator

I bypassed the internal water filter on my 8289 because it was a pain to get to. Use a pair of external filters. Here's a link to the modification:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-46104.html

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

I want to see the water that is going into our unit before it (Contaminates) the water system. The (Blue) throwaway type are hard to see thru. Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4107.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	44073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4108.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	44074   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4109.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	44075  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
WFD

Rodeo George....I also noticed a white PVC tube beside your water filter install, with what looks like a removeable cap. Is that a mod you made for sewer hose storage? And thanks for the detailed mod instructions.

Rick
Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
WFD

Twisty...on the 8289, the water filter is located outside, in the belly storage compartment so no contorting required.

Rick
Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Rodeo George....I also noticed a white PVC tube beside your water filter install, with what looks like a removeable cap. Is that a mod you made for sewer hose storage? And thanks for the detailed mod instructions.

Rick
Yes it is the sewer hose carrier. Copied what was done by several other people here on the forum. Used 5" vinyl fence post (4-1/2" was not large enough), and a piece of vinyl rain gutter to slide in with the Rhino Flex hoses and sitting in the gutter. Works like a champ.

Quote:
Twisty...on the 8289, the water filter is located outside, in the belly storage compartment so no contorting required.

Rick
Rick, what year is your 8289? If it's a 2014, perhaps Rockwood finally listened to the owners and moved the water filter to a more accessible place. Mine is behind a panel in the understorage, and as I mentioned was a pain to get to because of having to remove the panel.

RodeoGeorge
Old 12-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Yes, it is not easy to get to it. But, you only need to get in there to change it and/or to winterize. I still use mine as installed. The filter lasted about 60 days of camping. We may have hit some dirty water that plugged it up. When water pressure gets low, it might be the filter.

I do not plan to make any changes to mine, and I don't use an external filter. We normally don't drink campground water anyway. Also, I always ask if the campground water supply is city water or well water. If it is well water, I am sure to never add it to the water tank.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

We have a Windjammer 3025 and what a pain in the butt the location of this filter is. After saying that, I must tell you that the only time I do anything with it is when I winterize. Now saying that, I must tell you, 'what a pain in the butt the location of this filter is'.

I may do what Youroo or Rodeo George did, or just eliminate it all together since we always drink bottled water. (Or in my case, bottled water, beer or Irish whiskey)

I use what ever comes out of the tap for coffee. Hey, if I can survive 2 weeks in Ontario's north woods, moose hunting, where we use lake water for coffee, cooking, showers and whatever, I can survive a long weekend camping.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
WFD

Rodeo George...mine is a 2014....and I am pretty sure it is still behind a panel. I know a few changes were made midway through the 2014 production and the toilet was moved so now the toilet drain pipe can be seen in the storage compartment whereas before it was hidden behind a panel wall, so not sure if that caused them to move the water filter. We'll see when the unit arrives.

5er-tom....are the replacement filters easy to find?

Rick
Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #11

the 2014 mini lite filter is in the front storage and fairly easy to get to.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
WFD

RodeoGeorge....just wondering how you attached the 5in PVC fence post to the underside of the 5er.

Thanks
Rick
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #13

Quote:
We just ordered a new Rockwood 8289 and was wondering what those of you with the factory installed water filters think of them, good, bad, or indifferent. We have always used an exterior water filter system and have been happy with that...no chance of leaks inside the compartment, but Rockwood doesn't give you a choice, the factory filter is standard equipment.

Rick
I Took the whole thing out, they are hard to get to it is behind the outdoor shower for 1 above the water pump for 2 and behind the basement wall that is held in with 4 screws for 3. There is about 6 1/2" hoses that you have to work around. The filters are pretty expensive and I was told that you had to by them from the dealer. After taking it out I do not understand that it looks like any filter will work. It will cut down on your water pressure for sure. Now I just use a Camco external type. The high flow model with a pressure gauge attached. ....... My mode is keep it simple stupid, makes my life easier. Got that from my wife......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
RodeoGeorge....just wondering how you attached the 5in PVC fence post to the underside of the 5er.

Thanks
Rick
On the 8289WS there is a vinyl boot or tray on each side inside the storage doors. If you remove those inserts you have access to the outside of the Frame I Beam.

I drilled up through the bottom, and through the outer lip of that I beam. Then used a long bolt, and some wood spacers between the Tube and the bottom of the RV, up through the frame lip. Put nylock nuts on the bolts, to guard against them coming loose with vibration.

I was familiar with the Frame I Beam lips, because when I installed the ULTRA FAB Eliminators (stabilizers) I also bolted through those lips.

If you look at the frame under one of the slide outs, you'll see the frame lip I'm referring to.

RodeoGeorge
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Question: Does the filter that comes with the RV, filter both the city water connection and water pump? It would be logical if they put it downstream of both, but logic sometimes seems to be optional equipment.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Question: Does the filter that comes with the RV, filter both the city water connection and water pump? It would be logical if they put it downstream of both, but logic sometimes seems to be optional equipment.
Yes it is hooked up that way. But you are still filtering the hot water with the external filter before it go's into the tank.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I Took the whole thing out, they are hard to get to it is behind the outdoor shower for 1 above the water pump for 2 and behind the basement wall that is held in with 4 screws for 3. There is about 6 1/2" hoses that you have to work around. The filters are pretty expensive and I was told that you had to by them from the dealer. After taking it out I do not understand that it looks like any filter will work. It will cut down on your water pressure for sure. Now I just use a Camco external type. The high flow model with a pressure gauge attached. ....... My mode is keep it simple stupid, makes my life easier. Got that from my wife......
I used the Camco external ones with our previous trailer and was quite happy with them...just trying to figure out if I want to keep using them and do away with the factory install, which was the main reason I started the post...what I liked about the Camco filters was when we are home for a couple weeks between trips, I can put the Camco external filter in the fridge and its a hassle free task.

Rick
Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Yes, it is not easy to get to it. But, you only need to get in there to change it and/or to winterize. I still use mine as installed. The filter lasted about 60 days of camping. We may have hit some dirty water that plugged it up. When water pressure gets low, it might be the filter.

I do not plan to make any changes to mine, and I don't use an external filter. We normally don't drink campground water anyway. Also, I always ask if the campground water supply is city water or well water. If it is well water, I am sure to never add it to the water tank.
Why won't you add well water to your fresh water tank?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Why won't you add well water to your fresh water tank?
X2 ?

TURBS

merry christmas to everyone on FRF !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #20

We had a 2013, Rockwood Mini Lite. I learned at my first rally: remove the cartridge, use a Campco external filter! It allowed a better volume of water as well.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, water, water filter