Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

rockwood windjammer 2102w

We are getting our rockwood windjammer 2102w this week. never had a travel trailer before. have camped for the last 15yrs with a coleman pop up. loved it!!! does anyone have this trailer?? Millions of questions. the main ones are how does it hold up over a long period of time? how does it tow in the mountains? have you had any major problems? do you recommend an extended warranty? Love to here from you
hockey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Welcome Hockey! We are fellow Windjammer owners (3008W) and have had it since May. We just got back from our 8th trip out (nights 19 and 20) and love the unit. No major issues so far and it tows like a dream. We use the Equalizer 4 pt. sway control hitch and it is noisy but everything is very stable. I have talked to a couple of different dealers and they said that is the one fault with the Equalizer.

Enjoy the trailer and continued happy camping!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Welcome to the Windjammer family. We've had our 3065W for two seasons and have camped in it for close to 100 nights. We are on an extended trip with it now traveling through the U.P. of Michigan while making our way to the gulf coast. So far, no problems other than the Concertone acting up on videos.
It tows fine even with our 1/2 ton ram.
The equalizer hitch was noisy when we first got it but we put the teflon pads on the L-brackets which helped. We found the noisiest thing to be the receiver squeaking against the ball. When we picked up the teflon pads we grabbed some Equalizer hitch grease and apply it to the wear area on the ball. That quieted it down a lot. Rarely makes a sound now other than tight turns.
Enjoy your new TT and I hope it is good for you as ours has been for us.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #4

jhamelin

We bought our 3001 last May, and had issues from the begining, not major ones but still for a brand new trailer I was surprised, Anyway the most disconcerning was just this weekend, we were getting ready to head out on our last trip of the season, when lifting the front electric jack, it just quit. So I grabbed the manual crank and no way was it going to turn the jack,, tried with heavier socket three turn and the jack pinged and fell to the ground scared the hec out of us. So after 1 very short season the jack failed and if anyone would have been near it could have been dissasterous. Now my friend with 3065 had the same thing happne just before me only his just quit, it didn't collapse on the ground,
Any one have this happen?
Jack
jhamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

Hi Hockey,
We brought home our new Wind Jammer 2102w last night. Like you, our previous rig was a pop up. Absolutely love the new rig. We plan to buy the extended warranty this coming week. For $150 that is a no brainer. Looking forward to our first snowbird flight after the new year. Plan to camp at Agua Caliente Hot Springs south of Borrego Springs, CA. Not much on the internet re this model. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it. It is 22 out and snowing today in Northern Utah. Is it 2012 yet?
Utah Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey11 View Post
We are getting our rockwood windjammer 2102w this week. never had a travel trailer before. have camped for the last 15yrs with a coleman pop up. loved it!!! does anyone have this trailer?? Millions of questions. the main ones are how does it hold up over a long period of time? how does it tow in the mountains? have you had any major problems? do you recommend an extended warranty? Love to here from you
Hi Hockey11,

We just brought home our 2102W from RVW in Ohio (Nov. 2011). So far so good, no real problems. We are upgrading from a Coleman Hybrid. The only issue is that I think I want a diesel truck to pull it with. Currently I have a 2008 Dodge 5.7 Hemi which has plenty of power but I have to really floor it to get the torque out of it. One issue was the Grey water and Black water handles. They are not marked clearly so I had to experiment with draining the tanks to find out which is which. When facing the handles the one on the left is the Grey water. I painted it with grey spray paint so I know which is which.
Yurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #7

Hi Yurev,
Thanks for the tip on the 2102w drain handles. Have you found where the water filter cartridge is hidden on this model yet? That was the only item I did not get info on during our walk through. Overall, a very positive experience with our local dealer in Logan, Utah. Diesel? I have a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel and get angry every time I fill up the 36 gallon tank. In Utah, diesel is running over $4.00 per gallon and regular gas just over $3.00 per gallon. And the US oil companies continue to make billions in profits. But don't get me started. Right now, I would like to trade my diesel in on a gas truck and save $30 bucks a fill up.

Scott and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jammer View Post
Hi Yurev,
Thanks for the tip on the 2102w drain handles. Have you found where the water filter cartridge is hidden on this model yet? That was the only item I did not get info on during our walk through. Overall, a very positive experience with our local dealer in Logan, Utah. Diesel? I have a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel and get angry every time I fill up the 36 gallon tank. In Utah, diesel is running over $4.00 per gallon and regular gas just over $3.00 per gallon. And the US oil companies continue to make billions in profits. But don't get me started. Right now, I would like to trade my diesel in on a gas truck and save $30 bucks a fill up.

Scott and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Hi Scott and Marly,
The water filter is located under the bed and at the end of the couch. Open the doors that access the storage area under the bed and to the right side is a false panel that will need to be unscrewed to remove. If you peek under the bed skirt with a flashlight you can see the filter container. I haven't had the energy to scramble under there yet, not sure its worth it! Stupid place to put it, but whatever....
Regarding your truck it is funny but I have been reseraching Dodge diesels with the cummings 5.9L in line 6. They get good reviews with mileage. Like 20+ unloaded and 15 loaded. The newer (2007+) models have the 6.0L engine with emmision controls on them and most reviews are stating that mileage is much less, like 17mpg and 12mpg. Along with that I found a mileage calcultator that compared two sets of mileage data and long story short a diesel getting 15mpg for 5000 miles at $4.00/gal VS. a gas engine getting 10mpg for 5000 miles at $3.50/gal saved $400 for that distance. Now I calculated that over 100,000 miles and it saved $8000.00 in cost. My truck is a 2008 Dodge with a 5.7L hemi and I am lucky to get 10mpg, usually less, towing the Windjammer! What are you getting with your 2005 Dodge diesel?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #9

Hi Yurev,
Thanks for the info on the 2102w water filter. That would not have been a place I would have looked. Especially behind a screwed in panel under the bed. You saved me a bunch of time searching. Thank you. Re the Dodge diesel. I'm new to this board and not sure how far off topic we can get without a hand slap. So, here is what I know. Our 2102w is 3 days old. Don't have data on the 12 mile pull home with this rig. On average, my Dodge gets 19.6 according to the onboard computer unloaded and around 14.5 with heavy loads. Understand most everything in Utah has serious elevation gain and at altitude. Your midwest miles should be better. I like your math calculations, but doubt we will pull our rig 100,000 miles in our lifetime. For us it will be more like 2-3,000 miles a year over the next 10+ years.
Scott "still annoyed by the current price of diesel" and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #10

Yeah diesel used to be less than gas! I can understand your frustration but you are still beating the gas trucks money wise. I think I will be changing trucks here soon. I forgot to mention that I pulled the trailer back home from Ohio to California, about 2500 miles, and was fighting a pretty strong headwind most everyday. I was getting passed by almost everybody, they were all diesels, big rigs and trucks like yours pulling 5th wheels! It was quite a lesson. At the worst between fill ups, I calculated 6.77 mpg! Keep your truck!
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #11

it is nice to hear from someone with a small windjammer. we have not had a chance to get ours out yet. we have it winterized and parked on the side of the house. we are planning our trips for this summer!! how did it handle through the mountains? is backing up easier than the tent trailer? we have a left/right issue & my husband can't see me(to short)!! We have 4" of snow & it is 15 in Minnesota. Summer here we come!!!
hockey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Jammer View Post
Hi Yurev,

Scott and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
What you save at the pump you will lose on the highway going from an oil burner to gas. Not to mention you would need to get one of the newer gassers with a 6 speed and at least 4:10 gears to have anything close to an oil burner pulling wise unless you went with an EcoBoost F150 or a V10 Superduty.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #13

Yurev and John,
Surprised by the gas mileage pulling the 2102w as it is a smaller/lighter rig. Agreed on all diesel counts. I can't really justify a new truck at this time, but you can't blame a guy for wanting one!

Scott and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #14

If your tongue jack quits working, check the fuse. There's an inline fuse located on the wire that powers the jack. Mine stopped working one day and I thought I was in trouble. Especially after reading the problem jhamelin had. I checked the light on the jack and it didn't work either so I determined there was no power. I checked the fuse and sure enough, blown. Put in a new fuse and back in business.
As far as having a diesel, the fuel may be 25% more expensive but it will get you 50% farther than a gas engine. I have a Ram with a Hemi and get 8-9 mpg. whereas people with a diesel are getting 12+. If I'm still traveling full time when it's time for a new tv, it will probably be diesel powered.
I hope you all are enjoying your windjammers as much as my DW and I are.
Good luck and safe travels!
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #15

>Put in a new fuse and back in business.

Guess I need to make a trip over to Harbor Freight Tools and pick up a box of spare fuses along with other things I know I will need for the new rig...

Scott and Marly
2012 Windjammer 2102w
2005 Dodge Ram 3500
Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #16

Bathroom counter missing trim 2102W

We have the 2102W windjammer and it looks to us like there is missing trim on the left side of the bathroom sink counter. I have posted pictures to show the area in question. Forestriver states that they do not put trim there but the right side has trim, it makes no sense to us. Could I ask my fellow 2102W owners to check their counters and confirm that they have no trim as well on the left side of the bathroom sink counter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0162 (800x800).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	9769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0163.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	9770  
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #17

>Could I ask my fellow 2102W owners to check their counters and confirm that they have no trim as well on the left side of the bathroom sink counter?

Hi Yurev,
Good question. Walked out to the barn tonight and checked our new 2102W. Yep, no trim on the left side. See attached pic (if I did the attachment right). I did notice that the right side cabinet is thicker than the left side. The right side looks like it would be an easy trim install. The left side looks like it would take a few seconds to custom cut a piece of trim (IMHO). I will probably just caulk the left side and call it good.

We just returned from 8 days in the Anza Borrego desert in and around Borrego Springs, CA with the rig over the holidays. 2270 miles of tow out and back from north Utah with no sway bars and no issues. I really like how this rig tows - even in Santa Anna California winds. 12.9 mpg total trip average according to the onboard computer with the diesel (this included one non tow day into San Diego). Some near misses - one with a gas station awning and the other an ID ten T error pulling out of a rest area with the steps down. Both times, a good Samaritan saved us before bunching up the rig. All in all, a great first snow bird test and we learned alot about our little big rig. It is perfect for us and we really love it - even without left side bath sink trim. Now if we could just retire full time and spend our entire winters in Borrego Springs...
2010 Co-motion Tandem
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #18

Ok well I don't feel like it was just us that was forgotten. We may steal some of the same trim that is under the back of the dinnette seat that faces the rear of the trailer. It is less noticable and won't be missed.

We are headed to Anza Borrego in March as well as Laughlin and Joshua Tree. I go in for a hernia op on the 1st of March and need to get out of town asap so I don't end up working and ruining my operation. Just an excuse really. Hey, I noticed you are Co-motion owners, as are we, all I need now is a Dodge diesel 5.9L inline 6 and we will have 3 things in common!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #19

Speaking of trim, how is the trim on your dinette bench seat corners in the front that face each other? Ours has a small 3 point gap and before the bath trim question, was my only trim issue. Thinking about finding a woodworking 3 corner metal trim to finish that out. For the record, I really appreciate 99.8% of the trim detail on this rig.

Co-motion! Cool. Bummer about your op in March. We wish you well with that. We will be in Moab in March for the Skinny Tire Festival. Very sweet cycling over 4 days. It's an annual event. Think about tandem riding there in March of 2013.
Be well!
2010 Co-motion Tandem
Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #20

I agree, the trim for this unit is great. I will look at the dinette bench seat corners, not sure I have noticed, that is my wife's job. I will also check out the Skinny Tire, I have always wanted to go to Moab! If your ever want to come to Santa Rosa, Ca, we have some great road riding!

Tags