Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Rockwood Windjammer 3001 question

We did a road trip to one of the small town dealers today to have a look at a Windjammer 3001 for the first time in person. We have been looking at pics on the internet and noticed one difference. On line pictures we saw of units that had the table/chairs dinette had a section of cupboards above it. The unit the dealer had only had one with the big u dinette and had no cupboards above. I asked the sales guy about it as the wife and I both noticed. He was not positive and said because the one we were looking at was a 2010 maybe they had changed it. Do any of you have a 2011 with the table/chairs and can say if there is cupboards above. There are lots of cupboards so probably not a deal breaker but we thought it came that way. Maybe just with the u dinette Myself and the sales guy were not 100% sure. We really like the layout and the extra huge closet in the v nose is a great use of space. Thismoves this unit to the top of our maybe list after today.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #2

We have an interest in the unit as well, but have not seen one on the lot. The 3001-W Windjammer is just like the Rockwood 8314-BSS, but like you said there is more closet space in the nose and that is a great feature. We have the 8314-SS,(No Slide Out In The Bedroom) We both like the floor plan and I like a little more room in the sleeping area and with the Windjammer 3001-W my wife says there would be more room for MY clothes. HA!, I think more room for her's, and I would end up with what I always have and that's somewhere between a ziploc bag and a Wal-Mart bag. We are waiting for a local show next month to view the 3001-W.
The dealer made me an offer for my unit....will just wait and see.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

Sorry I can't help you with your question. I just wanted to say it's good to see you're on here asking questions before you buy. If I had done that, it would have probably saved me a lot of time and money.

Good luck. I hope you find a trailer that fits your wants and needs.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

8314bss

We looked at the 8314BSS model for the first time 2 weeks ago and liked it the best TT we had seen for layout so far. I did not notice the Windjammer layout until we started scoping out the brochure the sales guy left with us. We just skipped over that page. On the internet the pics you see don't tell how much closet it really is. I thought it was real small but you can fit a ton of stuff in it. That was what we would give up in the 8314 is no closet space.
Other than that it appears to be the exact same layout other than a couple minor things in the bathroom and of course the bedroom. It has even more cupboards/storage than the 8314. Be careful of your wife as if she likes the 8314 it will cost you on the Windjammer. Looks different out front but inside appears to function way better.
I think I may have answered my question above. I looked at lots of internet pics and see all the table/chairs have the cupboard and U dinette does not. My guess is as an afterthought, is if you are sitting against the widow and raise yourself up you will hit the cupboard underneath. Didn't think of that when we were there and either did the sales guy.
As I say if you like the 8314 or 8314bss you will love the 3001W layout.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

We don't like what is called "the KING "U" Dinning" set up, we have the free standing dinning table and chairs and if we bought the 3001-W it would have the same. The Windjammer 3001-W is 7" shorter then the 8314-BSS for what it is worth.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

U dinette

We did not like it either but the other thing it does, because it is larger than the table/chairs which we want anyways, it also has a smaller couch to accomodate it in the slide. We would just order it in and make sure it is loaded with all the toys anyhow so layout we saw in the table was not important as it is a definite table chairs for us. Was just curious why there was no upper cupboards above the U dinette table but I think I know why.
You always see a disclaimer about things may not be as illustrated or I have heard peoples unit come in with a changed design to what they saw.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #7

Yes, that is true. My camper was changed 6 times after I bought it in the same model year, from wheels to furniture and if you look at the booklet, pay close attention to some of the light fixtures, they have all ready changed...Example, we did look at the Windjammer 3065-WS it's the only Windjammer with three slide outs, the light fixtures in the booklet are not the same ones that were in the unit we looked at on the lot and that was about three weeks ago and they both are the same model year booklet and unit.
If you read the fine print it will say " CHANGES MADE WITH OUT NOTICE"
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #8

We have the 3001w with the bench dinette. We liked this setup better because it gave us a good place to install a central vac. system. Plus the space under the seats is a great place to store pots and pans. If you do purchase the unit I would change the rod in the V nose. Ours bent duing a trip and all of the items hanging on the rods ended up on the floor. It is a great unit tows well.

2008 3001w
2007 F150
Nights camping 2009 35
Have been in trailer since April 16th this year.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #9

I do have the 2011 Windjammer 3001W with the built in dinette and we DO have cabinets above the dinette.
Wayne
wtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

We have a 2011 V-Lite 30WRLS which is the exact same trailer, we have the standalone dinette set and it does indeed have cabinets above the dining table. Ours was a special order and was picked up on the 9th of July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer2010 005-1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	3062  

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood