Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Mez

My stick says 1358 to be exact.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying the Windjammer and also having good experiences in towing it. I am hoping that Clems will work a deal, or for that matter someone at Hershey.

My wife has in her mind that we would get a better deal waiting for the RV shows in January in Pittsburgh, but I am trying to convince her that October in Hershey is the better deal. You figure mass amount of sales and competition. Plus they want to get as much sales in before the dead season. My assumption at least!

Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #12

We bought at their "Open House" the following week they had a "Liquidation Sale" on 2014 and our price was still less than that one. They claim that the prices were lower than the RV show in Pittsburgh, the biggest thing is you know there is room to move.

Phil
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L FlexFuel
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #13

Decide what price your comfortable paying and offer that now. Worse they can do is say no!! Then you can use it this summer.

Linc
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
My stick says 1358 to be exact.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying the Windjammer and also having good experiences in towing it. I am hoping that Clems will work a deal, or for that matter someone at Hershey.

My wife has in her mind that we would get a better deal waiting for the RV shows in January in Pittsburgh, but I am trying to convince her that October in Hershey is the better deal. You figure mass amount of sales and competition. Plus they want to get as much sales in before the dead season. My assumption at least!

Call around to a bunch of different dealers and start over the phone. Each dealer has different overhead that will dictate their bottom price but many people will tell you 20-30% off MSRP is 'doable'. In my experience, 30% seems high and 20% is very reasonable.

We went to RV shows but I didn't consider buying at a show. I like the idea of buying from a dealer that I can access within a reasonable driving distance (within a couple hours tops), getting a full PDI on delievery, etc., etc. (There are many pros and cons of buying at a show vs. locally, and I don't mean to spark any debate about this - just giving my thought process.)

Here are the dealers that are close to the Hershey/Harrisburg area that deal Forest River travel trailers (if you are willing to drive a bit):

Grumbine's (Camping world Harrisburg, PA)
Reichart's (Camping World Hanover, PA)
Shady Maple (Lancaster, PA)
Chesaco RV (Joppa, MD is the closest, but they have two other locations in Gambrills, MD and Frederick, MD, I think).
Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiker View Post
We purchased a used 2011 Rockwood 3008W last year and loved the floor plan. The v-nose to me is more about the extra space you get to claim.

We looked at a ton also before we decided on the 3008W.

Good Luck with your search!

I don't have one, but I'm guessing that the extra space in the v-nose would also contribute to more tongue weight, especially on the ones with the kitchen up there. We have friends with one, and the front kitchen layout is really nice. In fact, the whole trailer is really nice.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I don't have one, but I'm guessing that the extra space in the v-nose would also contribute to more tongue weight, especially on the ones with the kitchen up there. We have friends with one, and the front kitchen layout is really nice. In fact, the whole trailer is really nice.
I had heard that previously about front kitchens being heavier on the tongue as opposed to other models and this was with the flat fronts. It is actually 50# heavier on the tongue according to the specs than the Jayco we traded in, I was surprised that it was such a little difference.

Phil
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L FlexFuel
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
Retired Trucker/43 years

We have a 2011 Windjammer 3008W, with the front kitchen, I Pull it with a 2006 F-150, (heavy duty tow package from the manufacturer, 7700# package).

It pulls great, the Ford does not mind it being back there. I use an Equalizer hitch for weight distribution and anti-sway. We have many miles on both units and have no complaints, except one. The tongue weight on the 3008W, (because of the appliances in the front kitchen), is close to 1,000 pounds. That made the weight distribution hitch a MUST! If you decide to get the Equalizer, be sure to buy the 1200# model.

I am scheduled to install the Air Lift bags soon, while the hitch does it's job, at times the truck bounces on the dips. And though I try to stay off the road after dark, sometimes it happens, and the headlights are a bit out of alignment. I see those road signs reflecting as if I had my high beams on. (Bet the truckers love that!)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
Bobo

I am pulling my 3008W with a Ford F-150 Ecoboost. 3:73 RA. 9600 lb tow package. Pulls like a dream. Plenty of power and the tranny control is tops. Equalizer hitch with 1200# bars.

Bobo
2001 Coleman Utah
Bobo 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 AM   #19

We just got our 2015 Windjammer 3006WK May 1st, 2014 and had it out on its maiden voyage May 16-19th in Brooks, Alberta, Canada. It was wonderful! We bought it for many of the features already described. We liked the large bedroom for the Parents (us) in the back vs giving the kids all the extra space. The bunk house up front is great but the bicycle door access makes me nervous with the 4yr old on the bottom bunk. She has been warned!

I tow my trailer with a 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I have towed a 30ft Coachman Catalina trailer with a similar DRY tongue weight (850-900lbs) and I was not legal on the rear GAWR of my 1/2 ton (2010 Ford F150 XTR w/ full trailer tow package, upgraded 10ply tires, and air abgs). I could never get the truck to be under GVWR with my 1/2 ton pulling that trailer (and it was lighter than the Windjammer). The WET tongue weight was approaching 1400lbs with 2 - 6volt batteries, 2-30lb tanks, etc. Scaled the weights on this trip - tonque weight was 1370lbs. So, long story short, I upgraded trucks and it is 100% better. I believe the 1/2 ton can pull the trailer but I would encourage anyway to check their GAWR (rear especially) on their trucks. The 3/4 truck pulls and stops the trailer much better. And I had a full WD hitch and antisway before (Equalizer) and now (BlueOx).

I love the Windjammer 3006WK, hence my HappyJammer name!

That's my 2cents! Good luck in your decision. I think you have found a winner with this model.

Michael
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #20

I have the 3065w Windjammer and tow it with a 2001 F250 4x4 gasser with a 373 gear. It pulls great on flat land , this past week pulled some not real step grades, the 5.4 was screaming , it pulled the grades but sounded loud pulling 4000 rpms. The TV dropped around 12-15 mph from 55mph at the top of the grade. Now my 250 has 150,000 miles on it and may be getting a bit tired. Sounds like the new 150s have more power. My 250 handled the jammer great but pulling minor hills concern me a bit. Maybe instead of looking for a diesel I should be looking for a 150 with the supercharger.

Tags
rockwood, windjammer