Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Glad to hear your good review of the shocks, your the one who gave me the idea to do the same, was nervous about the idea at first , but then found out that the frame is only under warranty for a year anyway.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Glad to hear your good review of the shocks, your the one who gave me the idea to do the same, was nervous about the idea at first , but then found out that the frame is only under warranty for a year anyway.
Did not alter the frame in any way. Nothing connected to the shocks touch the frame itself. All brackets were bolted to the 2 x 4 steel tubing the suspension rides on and does not affect the frame.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so digging around the camper, this is what I find, and it makes me feel a little better, however it still tows very poorly. I did follow a thread on shocks and think that will be the next option.
Thanks again for all the replies.
If those labels are posted on the axles, then we have a problem, Houston. Both axles should have the same rating. If different axles are indeed the case, I don't think shocks are going to help.

Me thinks that the axle with the metal tag is a replacement. It looks to be a 3500 lb. axle, and the plastic tag axle is a 3000 lb. axle. The axle and tire info listed indicates that both axles should be 3000 lbs.

Running a 3500 lb. axle and a 3000 lb. axle could cause some problems with the different flex ratios. Plus, if the replacement axle did not have the same "start angle" then that is gonna really cause problems. Dexter offers 6 different angles.....from 45° down to 22.5° up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
If those labels are posted on the axles, then we have a problem, Houston. Both axles should have the same rating. If different axles are indeed the case, I don't think shocks are going to help.

Me thinks that the axle with the metal tag is a replacement. It looks to be a 3500 lb. axle, and the plastic tag axle is a 3000 lb. axle. The axle and tire info listed indicates that both axles should be 3000 lbs.

Running a 3500 lb. axle and a 3000 lb. axle could cause some problems with the different flex ratios. Plus, if the replacement axle did not have the same "start angle" then that is gonna really cause problems. Dexter offers 6 different angles.....from 45° down to 22.5° up.
Don't see much of a problem with the different load axles, but if there is a different "start angle", it would definitely make a difference in the tire wear.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #15

mtnguy, your comment gave me concern so I just went out and double checked the axles, both have the same tags. #3000 on the plastic shipping sticker and #3500 on the metal riveted tag. No idea why there is a discrepancy, only guess is the axle manufacture knows what there are being used for and doesn't want their part to fail.

OldCoot, when following your shock thread I couldn't figure out what tube you were trying to fish a nut down, now I know! the 2x that the axles were mounted to. I figured that since the frame warranty expires in a few months ( it was only for one year) I would just put the upper shock mount on the frame and save myself the extra fabrication work, it's already going to be difficult enough for me to engineer the lower shock mount with my limited tools.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
mtnguy, your comment gave me concern so I just went out and double checked the axles, both have the same tags. #3000 on the plastic shipping sticker and #3500 on the metal riveted tag. No idea why there is a discrepancy, only guess is the axle manufacture knows what there are being used for and doesn't want their part to fail.
So, both axles have the similar metal tags, plus the plastic tag ?? I figured maybe you were posting the only labels that were evident on each axle.

Since you have already been in touch with a Dexter engineer, if it were me I would give him another call. Take pictures of all (4??) tags, so you have the information at hand.

You may actually have 3500 lb. axles.....that would be a good thing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot, when following your shock thread I couldn't figure out what tube you were trying to fish a nut down, now I know! the 2x that the axles were mounted to. I figured that since the frame warranty expires in a few months ( it was only for one year) I would just put the upper shock mount on the frame and save myself the extra fabrication work, it's already going to be difficult enough for me to engineer the lower shock mount with my limited tools.
The frame is not strong enough to hold the shocks. That's why I used 5/16" thick 3"x 3" structural angle. I have a design for a simpler lower mount if you would like to pm me.