Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

rolling while towing

New to the forum and I have been looking around for awhile. I've decided to ask for some input or advice on my problem,
I have a 2608ss rockwood ultra that we picked up last july, only been out a few times as we have a new little one with us, I tow with a 04 f-150, and have pulled our previous campers and other trailers without issue. I use a curt #800 wd with a reese add-on duel cam setup, pulls pretty straight and true however the camper rolls on its own suspension, which is a dexter rubber torsion.
I've spoke with the dealer, forest river warranty dept and a dexter axle engineer all gave the I'll have to get back to you type of response, I think this is the issue camper weigt sticker.jpg shipping weight is #5787, I think my axles are undersized even for the dry weight of this camper
any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper weigt sticker.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	23623  
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

Take The camper and weigh it empty and loaded for camping, you should have 10 to 20% on the tongue. If not you better fix that

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

I'm pretty new to this but here is my take on the sticker.

3,000 on each of two axles = 6,000
tongue weight of 698 added = GVWR of 6698

More discussion on this here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post297988
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post

That is exactly how they caculate what axle to use is axles + tongue or pin weight to meet their gvwr and then they can cheap out on the axles. Still legal and safe (just barely though) in the eyes of the law and us ordinary folk.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post

More discussion on this here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post297988
x3 - that is how it is calculated.

If your shipping weight is accurate (and for the record, it rarely ever is) you have around 900 pounds left for cargo. More likely less.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The Forest River site don't list a 2608SS anymore, just a 2608WS. It shows a CCC of 962 lbs...yours is a little less than the spec number due to options that wouldn't be included in the spec.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Site Team

Those torsion axle setups tend to roll from side to side a little more than spring hung suspensions. You can add shocks to it, there's even a thread here where someone did that, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble if it's not terribly bad.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #8

I appreciate the quick replies, I did weight the camper on the way home from the dealer when we bought it, the cat scales showed it to be 5500 and while I did not weight the tongue by itself. I figured between 800-850,this is substantially less than the outback 23krs we traded for it even though it is quite a bit larger. Once the snow is gone Ill weight it loaded, but I estimate #350 of "stuff" as it sits now.
I also noticed that a 2608ss isn't listed any longer, I think mine is really a ws in disguise, it is a 2012 model year and I do have the rear bedroom slide which I think was the difference between the two.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

so digging around the camper, this is what I find, and it makes me feel a little better, however it still tows very poorly. I did follow a thread on shocks and think that will be the next option.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	axle tag.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	23646   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle tag 2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	23647  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Those torsion axle setups tend to roll from side to side a little more than spring hung suspensions. You can add shocks to it, there's even a thread here where someone did that, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble if it's not terribly bad.
The shocks are definitely worth the effort in the way the trailer reacts to swales in the roads. The trailer does not exagerate or transfer the bounce to the tow vehicle. I happen have the shop & equipment to fabricate the brackets, so the cost was only for the price of 4 shocks which was about $70/shock. Being retired, my labor is pretty cheap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left rear showing angle with torsion arm.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	23649  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Glad to hear your good review of the shocks, your the one who gave me the idea to do the same, was nervous about the idea at first , but then found out that the frame is only under warranty for a year anyway.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Glad to hear your good review of the shocks, your the one who gave me the idea to do the same, was nervous about the idea at first , but then found out that the frame is only under warranty for a year anyway.
Did not alter the frame in any way. Nothing connected to the shocks touch the frame itself. All brackets were bolted to the 2 x 4 steel tubing the suspension rides on and does not affect the frame.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so digging around the camper, this is what I find, and it makes me feel a little better, however it still tows very poorly. I did follow a thread on shocks and think that will be the next option.
Thanks again for all the replies.
If those labels are posted on the axles, then we have a problem, Houston. Both axles should have the same rating. If different axles are indeed the case, I don't think shocks are going to help.

Me thinks that the axle with the metal tag is a replacement. It looks to be a 3500 lb. axle, and the plastic tag axle is a 3000 lb. axle. The axle and tire info listed indicates that both axles should be 3000 lbs.

Running a 3500 lb. axle and a 3000 lb. axle could cause some problems with the different flex ratios. Plus, if the replacement axle did not have the same "start angle" then that is gonna really cause problems. Dexter offers 6 different angles.....from 45° down to 22.5° up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
If those labels are posted on the axles, then we have a problem, Houston. Both axles should have the same rating. If different axles are indeed the case, I don't think shocks are going to help.

Me thinks that the axle with the metal tag is a replacement. It looks to be a 3500 lb. axle, and the plastic tag axle is a 3000 lb. axle. The axle and tire info listed indicates that both axles should be 3000 lbs.

Running a 3500 lb. axle and a 3000 lb. axle could cause some problems with the different flex ratios. Plus, if the replacement axle did not have the same "start angle" then that is gonna really cause problems. Dexter offers 6 different angles.....from 45° down to 22.5° up.
Don't see much of a problem with the different load axles, but if there is a different "start angle", it would definitely make a difference in the tire wear.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #15

mtnguy, your comment gave me concern so I just went out and double checked the axles, both have the same tags. #3000 on the plastic shipping sticker and #3500 on the metal riveted tag. No idea why there is a discrepancy, only guess is the axle manufacture knows what there are being used for and doesn't want their part to fail.

OldCoot, when following your shock thread I couldn't figure out what tube you were trying to fish a nut down, now I know! the 2x that the axles were mounted to. I figured that since the frame warranty expires in a few months ( it was only for one year) I would just put the upper shock mount on the frame and save myself the extra fabrication work, it's already going to be difficult enough for me to engineer the lower shock mount with my limited tools.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
mtnguy, your comment gave me concern so I just went out and double checked the axles, both have the same tags. #3000 on the plastic shipping sticker and #3500 on the metal riveted tag. No idea why there is a discrepancy, only guess is the axle manufacture knows what there are being used for and doesn't want their part to fail.
So, both axles have the similar metal tags, plus the plastic tag ?? I figured maybe you were posting the only labels that were evident on each axle.

Since you have already been in touch with a Dexter engineer, if it were me I would give him another call. Take pictures of all (4??) tags, so you have the information at hand.

You may actually have 3500 lb. axles.....that would be a good thing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OldCoot, when following your shock thread I couldn't figure out what tube you were trying to fish a nut down, now I know! the 2x that the axles were mounted to. I figured that since the frame warranty expires in a few months ( it was only for one year) I would just put the upper shock mount on the frame and save myself the extra fabrication work, it's already going to be difficult enough for me to engineer the lower shock mount with my limited tools.
The frame is not strong enough to hold the shocks. That's why I used 5/16" thick 3"x 3" structural angle. I have a design for a simpler lower mount if you would like to pm me.