Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Roof Claim For Damages

Own a 3008 Windjammer. On my recent trip, the roof ripped about halfway down the V on one side. Filed a claim with my insurance and now the insurance person is saying the damage was caused by air entering under the roof at the V-cap, "poor maintenance which resulted in dry rot". Insurance paperwork declining claim stated damage was due to fair wear and tear.

Would appreciate hearing from other Windjammer owners who had had similar problems or problems with Travel Insurance claims.
meylersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #2

Every policy I have had, no matter the company, had an exclusion clause that did not not cover "rot". It also did not cover damages due to water intrusion unless it was determined to be from a catastropic event, such as a fallen tree, high winds, hail, etc.

It sounds like you had a leak and over a period of time it allowed the membrane to loosen, due to rot in the substrate. The reality of it may be your on your own unless you have deep enough pockets to go to war with your carrier.

Did you perform periodic inspections of the roof sealants and condition?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

What year is your windjammer, how old is it?
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

WindJammer is 2013 model. According to RV Service Manager and Techs, the roof was in perfect shape.

My Travelers policy does cover damage under comprehensive (Other than Collision). Also, there was no water damage before or after the damage was discovered.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

On our 2014 WJ 3001W the membrane came loose just back of the V and puffed up when we traveled down the road. Think of the old convertible tops that puffed up right behind the windscreen; same thing. I was very lucky and had no nicks, tears, or damage to the roof and the repair facility sent photos of the area to the insurance company. National General (Good Sam) really tried to claim that I had water damage, but my repair guy stuck to his guns and said it was "wind damage" and therefore covered. In all actuality I think it was not enough glue by Forest River, but we didn't mention that to the insurance company. After a series of photos showing a pristine wood deck and no cracked seals they paid for the new roof completely. National General doesn't even have an adjuster for the Dallas/Fort Worth area (7.5 million is all) that could come out so we spent at least 2-3 weeks sending photos and letters back and forth. I dropped National General in favor of State Farm the very next week as the repair guy said they were much easier to deal with anytime he had filed a claim; plus I saved almost $400 a year for identical coverage.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Just finished with insurance Travelers Claim Manager and I had to agreed there was no point of impact on the V-edge. Did find an area based on discoloration where air had been entering for some time that left a dark coloring to the rubber. The whole edge on both sides show 'dry-rot' or could be rubbing as a result of front moving when being towed.

Where the roof was torn because of wind there is a smooth tear. Along the edge, the rubber roof just separated, like it was pulled apart.

Again I would like to hear from others who may have had a similar problem.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

Purchase date was 7/25/13

model: 3008W TT

The unit was 3-3/4 years old when damage was discovered.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by meylersr View Post
WindJammer is 2013 model. According to RV Service Manager and Techs, the roof was in perfect shape.

My Travelers policy does cover damage under comprehensive (Other than Collision). Also, there was no water damage before or after the damage was discovered.
We just dumped Travellers due to claims issues. Go to there Facebook page and quote poor customer service and they will respond, they did for us and reviewed the claim after social media action.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #9

Update Roof Claim For Damages

Was informed today that Forest River is paying the labor cost and providing the materials to replace my 2013 WindJammer roof. Dodd RV, Yorktown, VA service department submitted the pictures and took the follow-up actions which resulted in this successful action.

I like to thank Forest River and Dodd RV.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #10

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meylersr View Post
Was informed today that Forest River is paying the labor cost and providing the materials to replace my 2013 WindJammer roof. Dodd RV, Yorktown, VA service department submitted the pictures and took the follow-up actions which resulted in this successful action.

I like to thank Forest River and Dodd RV.
That's great news!

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof