Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1

Roof Damage

I damaged my TPO roof last fall by snagging it on a grain probe. (You farmers can imagine how.) After contacting Alpha and buying the roof repair kit, I sealed the tear down with a heat gun and roller, cutting the stretched parts out so the membrane would lay flat. Using the recommended Scotch 77 adhesive, I applied the patch to cover the damaged area. I used the Alpha supplied, self leveling caulk around the patch as recommended, Everything was fine on the 1500 mile snowbird trip. On the return trip, the winds were terrible and when we got home, the patch was gone and the wind had loosened up where the torn fabric had been re-attached. See attached picture. The dealer says the only way to fix this is to replace the whole roof membrane for $6000! And, they don't like doing this job as it's difficult and very time consuming. I'm open to suggestions. Again, this is a tan, TPO roof, not a rubber roof membrane.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

I would think eternabond would work.
https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=144
The dealer just wants to take your money!!
Hoser2eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

No wind will ever tear off eternabond
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

If I may suggest.

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...FEB23D4EF3ACB0

Remove what remains of the first patch.

It will stick, be sure to follow the directions and roll it hard.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. The patch was totally removed by the wind. I wish eternabond was available in something besides white. I don't think it will look very good on the leading edge of this tan roof. I suppose, also, that the loose existing membrane should be cut off.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertew View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The patch was totally removed by the wind. I wish eternabond was available in something besides white. I don't think it will look very good on the leading edge of this tan roof. I suppose, also, that the loose existing membrane should be cut off.
Is it the front or back?

If it is then do the whole width, kind of racing stripe style but side to side.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

How big of a section is it. Are you able to use Dicor lap sealant...I say that as I know some TPO bubbles with standard Dicor. That I read off of Dicor..actually they have a flow chart that tells you if you can use standard Dicor on a TPO roof depending on whether the TPO has felt on the backing or not.

Anyway if you can then you could put down the Eternabond then put a layer of Dicor tan roof sealant over that...verses just the white tape. If it is on the flat then self leveling will flatten out nice....if it is on the side then non leveling and use a wet finger or an ice cube will tool it nice and level.

Most videos put out by RV repair show them putting Dicor over at least the edges of the Eternabond to keep water and wind from aging the edge. Granted I can never pull that stuff up but over time I can see it.

Anyway might be a possibility.

This is a link to the Dicor page on TPO...
http://www.dicor.com/ultrasealant/
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
It is also available in black. May look better.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Again, thanks for the suggestions. for Ford Idaho: It's on the front, on the slope behind the front cap. From Shughey00: If you look at my picture, I think my original patch was 16 X 20. The caulk I used originally, was from the Alpha kit and was said to be self-leveling. I was not impressed as it didn't level and really didn't stick very well though I'd gone to a lot of work to prepare the area. The periphery of the where the patch was, is shown in the residual, Alpha caulk. I may have missed something but I only see the Dicor in white. This TPO is the smooth backed type. In my opinion, the TPO wasn't bonded very well originally. There are areas where there is no bonding and the lose TPO in the area exposed, has no indication of ever being bonded, that is, it's totally smooth on the back side.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:

Eternabond comes in white, black and tan and possibly grey ( i think there were 4 choices when we ordered tan for ours)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

Tan Eternabond...well duhh..I never checked they had it.
I have bought some from this Ebay seller as he sold it by the foot and I needed a short piece of 2" white.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Eternabond...BVpqWO&vxp=mtr
They sell five colors of Dicor but there is a question as to using it on some TPO roofs. Won't actually damage it but can..on some..cause bubbles which no one wants.
The self leveling works fine for me but I found it levels better when it is cool like 55-60 where as when it was hot it setup quicker. It will stick...and stick well. I have never had it come off.
If you used Tan Eternabond then you could not use any sealant or just run a narrow bead along the seam
Dicor Tan Self Leveling Lap Sealant - Roof Care & Sealants - RV Maintenance
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

We bought 4" wide tan on eBay

Two 25 ft rolls - $76 free ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

shughey00 That "buy by the foot," deal looks good to me. I'll have to evaluate my need. It sounds like a good option, I certainly don't need 50 feet. I don't see that the Dicor Ultra, comes in anything but white. If Eternabond sticks as recommended, maybe a peripheral caulk isn't necessary. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

Correct..the Ultra only comes in white.

Tags
roo, roof