Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

RV Brake Stop wire detached accidentally

The wire (about two feet long) with a looped end and connected on the other end to a plastic pin looks like its been pulled just as it would in an accident. Our Rockwood Mini-Lite is in our yard, stored, till our next trip.... mid-September.
I am hoping beyond hope that I can just plug the plastic end back in, but can't locate where it goes. Any suggestions?????

Located where it plugs into but cannot be sure. There is no 'snap' holding it in and doesn't seem to insert all the way.
DToutain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

Try taking out and turning it then push in. Should snap in. How long has it been out. When pulled it activates brakes. Battery probably dead and maybe damaged magnets
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #3

Sounds like you found the box, but just in case... you should find the brake box mounted somewhere on the tongue probably about halfway between the jack and the trailer itself. It may be mounted on the inside or bottom portion of the tongue rail.

The hole for the plug will be facing the jack. You'll notice that that the plug and the hole have a particular groove and the two must line up to fully seat.

As mentioned, when the battery is charged, the brakes will engage and the box will become warm/hot to the touch. If it's not... the battery is likely dead, unless you're connected to shore power. In which case, the box will definitely be hot.

Once you get the plug fully seated, the brakes should disengage and all will be good.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #4

Still won't snap in place

Thank you so much for your kind reply. RV is still stored, not moving, so it isn't holding us up *YET .... The thing is, I can put the pin in 3/4 of the way but it doesn't snap and just hangs loose. I guess I could push harder, but I fear forcing it. Should I try?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DToutain View Post
Thank you so much for your kind reply. RV is still stored, not moving, so it isn't holding us up *YET .... The thing is, I can put the pin in 3/4 of the way but it doesn't snap and just hangs loose. I guess I could push harder, but I fear forcing it. Should I try?
Is there an obstruction in the break-away box? Maybe a mud dauber or other insect had built a nest while the pin was pulled. If it is clear of obstructions, you may try adding a dab of dielectric grease to the tip of the pin to ease the pressure needed to insert the pin.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Site Team

You did not say how long the pin had been pulled out. If it was a few minutes, putting it back in is all you really need to do. If it was out for a while, you need to check the battery as it is most likely dead and you should check the brake magnets to insure they did not overheat. When that pin is pulled the brake magnets engage the brakes. Brake magnets are not designed to be activated for long periods ( hours) of time. If the battery is dead, I recommend you have it load tested it may or may not be salvageable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Smile Thanks again to all that replied!!!

I used tom39's suggestion. The battery had been on trickle charge, so I rehooked it to the RV, used (very little) silicone on tip, and reinserted with just a bit more force and voila! it snapped into place. Whew. Once again, thanks to all that replied. It really is like a family in this forum!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

You need to check the battery and magnets. The brakes use way more current than a trickle charger can provide.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Not real good but hopefully you get the idea
Attached Images

ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Usually the part/piece that pulls out is square - sides are flat and what appears to be a wedge in the center, the part only fits one way since the wedge separates two metal contacts that complete the emergency brake circuit. It does take a little force to push the part back in place. I jack/lift one wheel off the ground before the first trip and pull out the emergency brake switch part to check it (of course reset it - you only forget once).
Old 08-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
MCTroy

Just saying. We had ours pull out when it got snagged. We thought all was good when we pushed the pin back in. Nope. After the second stop on a camping trip. TV said trailer brakes disconnected. The plug was still in but the box was toasted. You should hook up the TV and test a couple of times. We replaced the whole part and much better. Upgraded the lanyard too.
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DToutain View Post
I used tom39's suggestion. The battery had been on trickle charge, so I rehooked it to the RV, used (very little) silicone on tip, and reinserted with just a bit more force and voila! it snapped into place. Whew. Once again, thanks to all that replied. It really is like a family in this forum!
Tom in the above Post said to use "Dielectric Grease" Not "Silicone"! Youroo! !

Tags
accident