Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

RV Direct Alternative ?

Hello,

Turns out RV direct only carries Rockwood or Flagstaff, does anyone know of an alternative that carries the Heritage/Forest/Salem lines ?
iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

Where are you at and what are you trying to accomplish? What was it about RV Direct that had you interested in being its customer?

Trying to find outlets of a given brand is as simple as a Google search or checking Forest River's website. If there's an experience or service at RV Direct that you're looking for in another dealership, people could help when you provide some more info on what it is you need.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

RVW sells the Heritage line.
And the co-owner is a member here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

We owned and operated a small pop-up rental business using only Rockwood pop-ups. I was and still am a Forest River dealer but always purchased our units through an established RV dealer. He knew how to prep our units and help me with any service I needed. A good dealer is a very useful resource and will more than pay for any savings you might think you are getting by purchasing wholesale.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RVW sells the Heritage line.
And the co-owner is a member here.
Yep. On my 4th rig from RVWholesalers and highly recommend them. There are some knockoff companies out there, so make sure you visit their site at www.rvwholesalers.com
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
We owned and operated a small pop-up rental business using only Rockwood pop-ups. I was and still am a Forest River dealer but always purchased our units through an established RV dealer. He knew how to prep our units and help me with any service I needed. A good dealer is a very useful resource and will more than pay for any savings you might think you are getting by purchasing wholesale.
Not in my experience, but it depends a lot on your location. I've saved ~$20K on my last 4 units going through RVWholesalers-which is a very well established dealer, btw. I would have gained nothing by buying local- unless you consider waiting months on some basic repairs that are "half-rear" done by some kid as opposed to RVW sending me the parts and getting me back out camping within days a benefit.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Agreed. Local price here is 15-20% higher than RVW and others in the sort of national game. So the entire argument around the value of buying local is highly dependent on where you live and RV market there.

I really like my local dealer. I couldn’t buy from it, though.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Yep. On my 4th rig from RVWholesalers and highly recommend them. There are some knockoff companies out there, so make sure you visit their site at www.rvwholesalers.com

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

There's nothing like a good dealer,... and my dealer is nothing like a good dealer. ;=}

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Where are you at and what are you trying to accomplish? What was it about RV Direct that had you interested in being its customer?

Trying to find outlets of a given brand is as simple as a Google search or checking Forest River's website. If there's an experience or service at RV Direct that you're looking for in another dealership, people could help when you provide some more info on what it is you need.

Good luck.
Um, buy a RV ? I really don't understand your question. Where are you at, and what are you trying to accomplish with your answer ? (no need to answer)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #11

So, I have eyes on a 272RL here in town. The only compromise is no 50 amp service. We are in the Northwest and I'm willing to roll the dice on the second air conditioner. The dealer and I are currently roughly $2k apart, he wants $29k (plus he threw in $500 credit for dealer junk) and I offered $27k cash.

The world awaits, well not really. After all, it's not like RV's are hard to find
Old 01-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Agreed. Local price here is 15-20% higher than RVW and others in the sort of national game. So the entire argument around the value of buying local is highly dependent on where you live and RV market there.

I really like my local dealer. I couldn’t buy from it, though.
"Could not buy from them ?"
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
Grammar Pedant

You wanted an alternative to RV Direct. If you lived in Pennsylvania, it might not be worth mentioning a great dealer in San Diego. So, where you're at can matter to those who might give you advice.

What you're trying to accomplish also matters. Yes, you're buying an RV, but if you only want to buy an RV, just go to your local dealership and buy away.

It may seem strange to you, but we all have different motivations and those motivations have an effect on how we approach the buying cycle. So, if you were price-first, that's going to bring up different suggestions than being completely averse to long travel. And, I could go on. But, actually telling us more about what is important in your buying process will help tailor better recommendations.

Wasn't trying to offend ... was trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceclimber View Post
"Could not buy from them ?"
No. Could not buy from it. A dealership is an it, not a them. The dealership advertises its products ... the dealership is having a sale ... and so on. It's a singular entity.

Alternatively, I could have originally written, "I really like the people at my local dealership. I couldn't buy from them, though." Perhaps that would better appeal to your sensibilities.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
Grammar Pedant

I'm sorry to have upset you. I haven't corrected any of your grammar. You attempted to correct mine, and I simply defended what I had written. Write however you like. I don't care.

I do hope you find your RV that you want. I saw your above post where you have one local ... and you're $2K apart. I hope that you either find common ground there or take others' advice here on some of the outlets you can try. I couldn't get my local dealer to budge and ended up driving 2,200 miles round trip. I didn't enjoy it, but I'd do it again.

Good luck.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #15

I saved thousands with RV Wholesalers. Every dealer within a couple hours laughed at trying to match the RVW price and it was also close to $1000 less than a quote from RV Direct.
I would've even paid a little more for the convenience of a local dealer, but not thousands. The best price I could get local was close to 20% more than RV Wholesalers.

I did pay cash, but I don't think that helped my deal since I think most dealers make something when you finance. Even RV wholesalers told me my original quote included $1000 finance incentive or something like that. However, they gave me most of the incentive anyway when I stood firm on the quote they gave me.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I saved thousands with RV Wholesalers. Every dealer within a couple hours laughed at trying to match the RVW price and it was also close to $1000 less than a quote from RV Direct.
I would've even paid a little more for the convenience of a local dealer, but not thousands. The best price I could get local was close to 20% more than RV Wholesalers.

I did pay cash, but I don't think that helped my deal since I think most dealers make something when you finance. Even RV wholesalers told me my original quote included $1000 finance incentive or something like that. However, they gave me most of the incentive anyway when I stood firm on the quote they gave me.

Ray
Interesting...my dealer is playing from the same sheet of music. Nice guy but they have 3 272RL's sitting there.

When I run the quotes at RV wholesalers, they are roughly $1,000 cheaper. That is not compelling enough to drive to Ohio from Washington State.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #17

Update, these guys are not budging. $29,500 plus $500 credit for accessories. However my research indicates very few used ones on the market and they are the lowest priced in the immediate area. Someone make up my mind lol.