Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #1

Red face RV Rookie needs HELP

As the title implies we are rookies.Heres the delemma,bought new 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi 3.55 r/e & on the strength of recommendations from the truck dealer & RV dealer acquired used 2005 Rockwood 28RL 5W,6500 dry,posted hitch/pin weight (depending what you read)975-1250 lbs.Having now read numerous articles(after the fact) seems we are pushing,possibly even exceeding payload capacity. Anyone pulling something similiar who can share thoughts recommendations etc.Towing capacity,axle ratio seem etc.seem to be within reasonable ranges. Any & all relavent comments are greatly appreciated. Looking fwd to seeing North America but this is driving me nuts.Thanks
bonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I would recommend taking it to a truck stop and getting the ACTUAL weights (make sure the camper is fully loaded). Then you will know if you are over or not.

You can control the hitch weight to some degree by loading heavy stuff in the rear of the camper to have less hitch weight.

Whatever you do...Be safe.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm......I went to archive.org, and a 28RL was not even listed under Rockwood.

Like Bean said, you need to get to your nearest set of scales, and weigh both your truck and your combo. The combo weight minus the truck solo weight will give you the pin weight. Be sure to weigh both axles of the truck while hooked up, but without the camper on the scales if you are using a single platform scale....that will give you a true gross weight of the truck with the camper hooked up. A CAT scale wieghs each axle independently, so that is a simpler if you have 1 of those in the area. If you don't already have the camper loaded, an initial weigh-in without being camping ready will give you some base lines, and them weigh it again loaded up for for camping if you decide to keep the camper.

If you don't have a CAT scale nearby, check out your local rock quarry, grain mill, or landfill to see if you can run your rig across their scales. I think the scale operator at my local quarry got tired of seeing me when I was setting up my WDH.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #4

According to the RAM Site here are the numbers....
Towing Capacity - Maximum 10250 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Standard 7300lbs.

I would go with the standard numbr of 7300. If the Rockwood is 6500 dry then you only have 800lbs of stuff you can take. I agree with "bean" load it and weigh it and see were you are.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
According to the RAM Site here are the numbers....
Towing Capacity - Maximum 10250 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Standard 7300lbs.

I would go with the standard numbr of 7300. If the Rockwood is 6500 dry then you only have 800lbs of stuff you can take. I agree with "bean" load it and weigh it and see were you are.
The towing figure might be in line, but my concern is with the GVWR of the truck. That is a lot of weight in the truck bed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

Welcome to the group. I must say that your first problem was believing what the salesmen recommends. Not all mind you, but a lot of them are more interested in the sale, or are ignorant of the facts.

But that doesn't help you now, does it? Lets look at what you have. You mentioned a new truck, but you didn't specify what model. A base model, quad cab, or mega cab will have a lot different weight ratings. The 3.55 gears you have puts you pretty low on the scale also. Look at the door sticker, it will tell you what your specific truck will have for a payload capacity. That is how much you can carry, including anything over a 150 lb driver. Mom, the dog, the kids, about 150 lbs for a hitch, you get the idea. That would put you at your GVW rating. Going over the gvwr is not a good idea, but a lot of folks do it, as long as they don't exceed the rear axle or tire weight ratings.

Do you know what your truck is rated to tow? Taking the gross combined weight rating, gcwr, and subtract the weight of the fully loaded truck described above, will give you the weight the trailer shoud not succeed. It's more critical to not exceed the gcwr than the gvwr, but folks still do it.

Will your truck handle it, depends on where you live and travel. If you lived in Florida where the land is pretty much flat, you might do ok. But if you live in Colorado, you are not going to be happy. You will also get a wide range of comments. There will be those who say you'll do ok, and those who will try to tell you are an accident waiting to happen and that the lawyers are going to have a ball with you. It's up to you to believe who you want.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

You can go here to find the exact towing/payload capacities for your model Ram

Ram Trucks - Towing & Payload

Check the door sticker to see what your max axle weight rating is. Mine is 3900 pounds per axle.
As others have mentioned, load your trailer the way it will be when you travel, including fuel, bikes, kids, dogs and whatever you can think of, then head to the scales. If you've never used the Cat scales, here's is their "how to". You would use the "standard" configuration. How To Weigh | CAT Scale

Now that you have accurate numbers, you can determine if you're overweight or not.

Remember the good old days when our parents would load up the 9 passenger wagon, hook the trailer to bumper hitch they rented from u-haul and headed out? If the 4 ply tires were bulging too much you just added more air to them.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the links to a couple of previous posts asking the same question...good reading.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ton-10483.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...5er-17900.html

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #9

Thanks to all for their input.There are a few things I need to do when I get back home to Ontario that at least should give me peace of mind.
bonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Your owners manual should list all of the weights that the truck is capable of pulling safely.
davcor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea1956 View Post
You can go here to find the exact towing/payload capacities for your model Ram

Ram Trucks - Towing & Payload

Check the door sticker to see what your max axle weight rating is. Mine is 3900 pounds per axle.
As others have mentioned, load your trailer the way it will be when you travel, including fuel, bikes, kids, dogs and whatever you can think of, then head to the scales. If you've never used the Cat scales, here's is their "how to". You would use the "standard" configuration. How To Weigh | CAT Scale

Now that you have accurate numbers, you can determine if you're overweight or not.

Remember the good old days when our parents would load up the 9 passenger wagon, hook the trailer to bumper hitch they rented from u-haul and headed out? If the 4 ply tires were bulging too much you just added more air to them.
Steve, I didnt like the way you implied about my weight(if your overweight or not) this close to Christmas and you talk about me. I didnt say anything about you using a (CAT) scale,knowing you have 2 (Dogs). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote