Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Having a good dealer that you feel comfortable with is important. A lot of the post here complaining about warranty issues are because of the dealer and how they respond.
I have purchased 2 travel trailers from local dealers and both time could have saved a few bucks by going with a out of state wholesaler. Twice I needed some minor items repaired on our first trailer and the dealer took care of it quickly and with no hassle. That was worth it to me.

Enjoy the new trailer!
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue. As a matter of fact, I've read far more accounts of local dealers giving owners grief than I have of RVWholesalers customers not being able to find someone to do warranty work. I still think the whole "You can't get warrant work done" line is just being perpetuated by local dealers that don't want to have to compete on price and want to continue overcharging customers. But, if it makes you feel better......
__________________

__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue.
X2
I have had various RVs since 1980's - between mods, upgrades and repairs, I have taken care of 99% of the work myself. It ain't rocket science...invest a little time in learning about your RV and save a lot of money, down time and aggravation.
__________________

__________________
2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 228
Some folks need to / prefer to stroke a check for work done, rather than do it themselves for whatever reason it might be. Nothing wrong with that, guys.
__________________
2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2006 Suburban 2500 8.1 L
220Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Indymule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue. As a matter of fact, I've read far more accounts of local dealers giving owners grief than I have of RVWholesalers customers not being able to find someone to do warranty work. I still think the whole "You can't get warrant work done" line is just being perpetuated by local dealers that don't want to have to compete on price and want to continue overcharging customers. But, if it makes you feel better......
Why are you reading my post as a slam against RVW? I have nothing against them, I have talked with them several times and they have always been pleasant. I never said that the complaints were against a wholesaler, what I said was

"Having a GOOD dealer that you feel comfortable with is important"

For you that may be RVW for me that might be my local dealer. I stand by what I said. I also said that a lot of the complaints were because the DEALER (local or otherwise) were not handling things well.

I also stated that "I" was willing to spend a few bucks more to purchase from a dealer that "I" was comfortable with and I thought that was worth the cost.

I do feel good with my decision of where I purchased from and I'm glad you feel good with your decision. That's all that really matters.
__________________
Jay & Maria - Camp Dogs Jackson & Joplin
2015 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald
Hensley Arrow hitch
2015 Ford F350 Crewcab Lariat Diesel
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220Chap View Post
Some folks need to / prefer to stroke a check for work done, rather than do it themselves for whatever reason it might be. Nothing wrong with that, guys.
That's very true. Some people claim to have gotten dealers to match RVW prices- but I've never been able to get any dealers within 150 miles of me to come close. It seems as though most local dealers would rather not sell you an RV if they can't make a substantial profit from it- they apparently don't value me telling everyone I encounter to go buy a camper from them- and they want to keep the full markup from the financing, which RVW passes on to the consumer. Therefore, I've always been able to save ~$3000 or more on every camper. I could pay for a LOT of work out of pocket and come out ahead. From reading the forums, any major warranty work almost always has to go back to the manufacturer anyway, so you're really only depending on your local dealer for the basics.

With all of this being said- IF you are choosing to pay several thousand dollars just to have a relationship with a local dealer, I would argue that isn't a sound financial decision. IF you are able to buy from a reputable local dealer that you KNOW is going to give you good service and they can match RVW's price, then I would say you've made a sound financial decision- I just haven't been able to do that.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Why are you reading my post as a slam against RVW? I have nothing against them, I have talked with them several times and they have always been pleasant. I never said that the complaints were against a wholesaler, what I said was

"Having a GOOD dealer that you feel comfortable with is important"

For you that may be RVW for me that might be my local dealer. I stand by what I said. I also said that a lot of the complaints were because the DEALER (local or otherwise) were not handling things well.

I also stated that "I" was willing to spend a few bucks more to purchase from a dealer that "I" was comfortable with and I thought that was worth the cost.

I do feel good with my decision of where I purchased from and I'm glad you feel good with your decision. That's all that really matters.
I wasn't really reading your post as a slam on RVW. I was simply trying to point out that you possibly paid a significant amount of money to have "a few minor items repaired." Once again, if it was only a few bucks like you claim difference in price, then I could see it being potentially worth having a relationship with your local dealer. However, like I just stated, if you paid the several thousand difference I was seeing, those were some VERY expensive repairs- you actually paid a lot of money for your "warranty" repairs, if that makes sense. Another thing that many don't think about is- what if you are traveling and have a warranty issue? A local dealer won't be there, whereas RVW can find you someone in the area you are in because of the nationwide service network. I'm glad you feel good about your decision and wasn't trying to bash on you.
__________________
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #17
Member
 
Charliec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
We found our ladder under the top bunk mattress. A friend slep on it one night and complained how uncomfortable the top bunk was. I checked out the mattress and the problem was the ladder under the mattress. So you may want to check yours.
__________________
Charlie C
2012 Ford F-150
2015 Rockwood 2504S
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
53flattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliec View Post
We found our ladder under the top bunk mattress. A friend slep on it one night and complained how uncomfortable the top bunk was. I checked out the mattress and the problem was the ladder under the mattress. So you may want to check yours.

Haha! I imagine that would make for a poor nights sleep!!!!
__________________
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
53flattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 215
Finally picked it up yesterday! It has actually been on the lot for about two weeks, but I needed to finish my concrete pad and have the clutch disc replaced in my TW.

We are so excited!! Can't wait to take it out for its first trip.

So far, I'm impressed with the quality of construction. Only found one very minor item where a piece of interior trim was left a hair too long and is not sitting flush against the wall. A little work with the Dremmel tool should fix that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199489.418375.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	72069

Probably should have made the parking pad about 2' wider. Talk about a tight fit!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199545.898436.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	72070

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199566.562244.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	72071
__________________
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #20
Now Camping Year-Round!!
 
WannaBcamping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 332
Very nice!
__________________

__________________
Cathy & Fraser - Ontario, Canada
2017 Rockwood ML 2507S
2013 Columbus 325RL -parked in Florida
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel King Ranch
2011 Rockwood Roo 21RS
2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2306

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.