Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

RW 2306 - Ordered!!!

On Saturday, 1/17, I placed my order for a 2015 RW 2306. Got pretty much all the options (Murphy bed, cherry wood, raised panel refrigerator, oven, electric tongue jack, electric awning, rear ladder, oyster exterior). The only option we didn't chose was the stainless steel appliances, which the salesman told us really only amounted to a stainless front on the microwave (stove remains black). I'm really excited, but I'm dreading the 7-8 week wait...

My question to other 2306 owners - did I get a decent price? I know it's all relative to how comfortable I am with what I paid, and I'm comfortable. Just curious if I left money on the table. I ended up at $19,500 - which includes the $1155 freight charge. This dealer doesn't charge a "prep" fee, although I know most dealers do - and I'm sure there's an allowance in there somewhere for it. Price also includes a "starter kit" of hoses and such.
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Congrats on the new camper. We have the sister camper, Flagstaff 23lb. Didn't realize these models now have a ladder. Enjoy!!

Can't help you with the price we bought our 2012 used in 2013.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post

My question to other 2306 owners - did I get a decent price? I know it's all relative to how comfortable I am with what I paid, and I'm comfortable. Just curious if I left money on the table. I ended up at $19,500 - which includes the $1155 freight charge. This dealer doesn't charge a "prep" fee, although I know most dealers do - and I'm sure there's an allowance in there somewhere for it. Price also includes a "starter kit" of hoses and such.
Not a 2306 owner but you could always cross check prices with rvwholesalers.com or rvdirect.com option it similarly and they will email the price, it is an easy way to check as they will generally have one of the better prices going.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Just sent in our deposite today. We also got everything except the stainless and we were out the door tax title freight and everything at $14,530. We ordered from a small dealer in central Michigan. He has been the best to deal with. RVW were terrible to deal with. The price was $2000 more and the best interest rate they could get me was 5% higher than other places! The best they could get me was 8.9 if I bought the extended warranty. Now they just keep calling with a better "offer" everyday. But I think we did good on our final decision.
Toddupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

53flattie, you're good. I paid more than that for my 25KS. Similar unit, slightly larger. There's always someone who paid less, and plenty of folks who paid more that you'll never hear from!

Hope the time flies for ya, and enjoy it!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #6

Congratulations! Ours does not have a ladder, either. But we love it!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Best thing to do AFTER you make your purchase is don't compare prices; you'll only get your feelings hurt. (been there & done that)
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Just sent in our deposite today. We also got everything except the stainless and we were out the door tax title freight and everything at $14,530. We ordered from a small dealer in central Michigan. He has been the best to deal with. RVW were terrible to deal with. The price was $2000 more and the best interest rate they could get me was 5% higher than other places! The best they could get me was 8.9 if I bought the extended warranty. Now they just keep calling with a better "offer" everyday. But I think we did good on our final decision.
That's odd.... Your account of RVW is pretty much exactly the opposite of my experience. Beat my local dealers by several thousand and got me a competitive rate. I could typically save .25-.5%, but usually had to go shorter term to get it. Of the 10 or so local dealers (within 100 miles or so) I've been to, only 3 or so acted like they gave a rip if they even sold you a camper. The rest acted like they were doing you a favor by being there and letting you on the lot.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #9

Good points here about not comparing prices after the fact! That price Todd got is pretty amazing...

At the end of the day, I felt like (based on the wisdom here) going with a good local dealer would pay off in the long run. I might have been able to beat them down by a few more dollars, but I was afraid it would 'cost' our relationship later. Hopefully I won't have any issues with the unit, but if I do, I like knowing that the dealer is not going to look negatively at me.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #10

Having a good dealer that you feel comfortable with is important. A lot of the post here complaining about warranty issues are because of the dealer and how they respond.
I have purchased 2 travel trailers from local dealers and both time could have saved a few bucks by going with a out of state wholesaler. Twice I needed some minor items repaired on our first trailer and the dealer took care of it quickly and with no hassle. That was worth it to me.

Enjoy the new trailer!
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Having a good dealer that you feel comfortable with is important. A lot of the post here complaining about warranty issues are because of the dealer and how they respond.
I have purchased 2 travel trailers from local dealers and both time could have saved a few bucks by going with a out of state wholesaler. Twice I needed some minor items repaired on our first trailer and the dealer took care of it quickly and with no hassle. That was worth it to me.

Enjoy the new trailer!
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue. As a matter of fact, I've read far more accounts of local dealers giving owners grief than I have of RVWholesalers customers not being able to find someone to do warranty work. I still think the whole "You can't get warrant work done" line is just being perpetuated by local dealers that don't want to have to compete on price and want to continue overcharging customers. But, if it makes you feel better......
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue.
X2
I have had various RVs since 1980's - between mods, upgrades and repairs, I have taken care of 99% of the work myself. It ain't rocket science...invest a little time in learning about your RV and save a lot of money, down time and aggravation.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #13

Some folks need to / prefer to stroke a check for work done, rather than do it themselves for whatever reason it might be. Nothing wrong with that, guys.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's not worth a few grand for me to have someone take care of minor interior items- I can do that myself. And a LOT of the complaints on here are about local dealers that aren't addressing warranty issues in a timely manner or they are feeding the owner a line of bull to avoid taking care of an issue. As a matter of fact, I've read far more accounts of local dealers giving owners grief than I have of RVWholesalers customers not being able to find someone to do warranty work. I still think the whole "You can't get warrant work done" line is just being perpetuated by local dealers that don't want to have to compete on price and want to continue overcharging customers. But, if it makes you feel better......
Why are you reading my post as a slam against RVW? I have nothing against them, I have talked with them several times and they have always been pleasant. I never said that the complaints were against a wholesaler, what I said was

"Having a GOOD dealer that you feel comfortable with is important"

For you that may be RVW for me that might be my local dealer. I stand by what I said. I also said that a lot of the complaints were because the DEALER (local or otherwise) were not handling things well.

I also stated that "I" was willing to spend a few bucks more to purchase from a dealer that "I" was comfortable with and I thought that was worth the cost.

I do feel good with my decision of where I purchased from and I'm glad you feel good with your decision. That's all that really matters.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220Chap View Post
Some folks need to / prefer to stroke a check for work done, rather than do it themselves for whatever reason it might be. Nothing wrong with that, guys.
That's very true. Some people claim to have gotten dealers to match RVW prices- but I've never been able to get any dealers within 150 miles of me to come close. It seems as though most local dealers would rather not sell you an RV if they can't make a substantial profit from it- they apparently don't value me telling everyone I encounter to go buy a camper from them- and they want to keep the full markup from the financing, which RVW passes on to the consumer. Therefore, I've always been able to save ~$3000 or more on every camper. I could pay for a LOT of work out of pocket and come out ahead. From reading the forums, any major warranty work almost always has to go back to the manufacturer anyway, so you're really only depending on your local dealer for the basics.

With all of this being said- IF you are choosing to pay several thousand dollars just to have a relationship with a local dealer, I would argue that isn't a sound financial decision. IF you are able to buy from a reputable local dealer that you KNOW is going to give you good service and they can match RVW's price, then I would say you've made a sound financial decision- I just haven't been able to do that.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Why are you reading my post as a slam against RVW? I have nothing against them, I have talked with them several times and they have always been pleasant. I never said that the complaints were against a wholesaler, what I said was

"Having a GOOD dealer that you feel comfortable with is important"

For you that may be RVW for me that might be my local dealer. I stand by what I said. I also said that a lot of the complaints were because the DEALER (local or otherwise) were not handling things well.

I also stated that "I" was willing to spend a few bucks more to purchase from a dealer that "I" was comfortable with and I thought that was worth the cost.

I do feel good with my decision of where I purchased from and I'm glad you feel good with your decision. That's all that really matters.
I wasn't really reading your post as a slam on RVW. I was simply trying to point out that you possibly paid a significant amount of money to have "a few minor items repaired." Once again, if it was only a few bucks like you claim difference in price, then I could see it being potentially worth having a relationship with your local dealer. However, like I just stated, if you paid the several thousand difference I was seeing, those were some VERY expensive repairs- you actually paid a lot of money for your "warranty" repairs, if that makes sense. Another thing that many don't think about is- what if you are traveling and have a warranty issue? A local dealer won't be there, whereas RVW can find you someone in the area you are in because of the nationwide service network. I'm glad you feel good about your decision and wasn't trying to bash on you.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #17

We found our ladder under the top bunk mattress. A friend slep on it one night and complained how uncomfortable the top bunk was. I checked out the mattress and the problem was the ladder under the mattress. So you may want to check yours.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliec View Post
We found our ladder under the top bunk mattress. A friend slep on it one night and complained how uncomfortable the top bunk was. I checked out the mattress and the problem was the ladder under the mattress. So you may want to check yours.

Haha! I imagine that would make for a poor nights sleep!!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #19

Finally picked it up yesterday! It has actually been on the lot for about two weeks, but I needed to finish my concrete pad and have the clutch disc replaced in my TW.

We are so excited!! Can't wait to take it out for its first trip.

So far, I'm impressed with the quality of construction. Only found one very minor item where a piece of interior trim was left a hair too long and is not sitting flush against the wall. A little work with the Dremmel tool should fix that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199489.418375.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	72069

Probably should have made the parking pad about 2' wider. Talk about a tight fit!!!

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199545.898436.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	72070

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427199566.562244.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	72071
Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #20
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Very nice!

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags