Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Safe-T alert alarm

I have a 2016 Rockwood 8311ws with the safe-t alert CO/LP. The alarm keeps going off when we use the hot water. I have blocked in and disconnected the LP bottles from the trailer so I am positive it is not from that. And running the water heater on electric. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to water could cause this.

Thanks,
Tim
tmorton1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

Does the alarm share the same area as the water heater? I'm thinking it might be combustion gases leaking into the trailer due to the heater not being sealed well.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Does the alarm share the same area as the water heater? I'm thinking it might be combustion gases leaking into the trailer due to the heater not being sealed well.

The water heater isn't far from the alarm.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Team

If I understand you correctly, you are saying you have the propane removed from the trailer and are running the WH on electric and still seeing the problem. If so a few ideas.
1. What is the battery voltage, If it drops while running the water pump, it could trigger the alarm.
2. You could have some bad water ( bacteria) in the WH which is causing a gas that will trigger the alarm when the faucet is opened.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If I understand you correctly, you are saying you have the propane removed from the trailer and are running the WH on electric and still seeing the problem. If so a few ideas.
1. What is the battery voltage, If it drops while running the water pump, it could trigger the alarm.
2. You could have some bad water ( bacteria) in the WH which is causing a gas that will trigger the alarm when the faucet is opened.

Yes propane bottles removed. I am on well water using the city water hook up and on shore power. I don't think the power is dropping. I did notice that I need to replace and anode rod. I'll try cleaning the WH and replacing the anode rod and see if that fixes it.

Thanks
Tim
Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Site Team

If your unit is a 2016 and you are on well water, and you need to replace the anode rod, it is very possible it is your water. It is possible that you have sulfur or bacteria in the water that creates a gas when heated. One thing you try. Turn off and drain WH flush is you have a tool. Now without turning it on run about 15 gals of water thru the WH and out the faucet at the most distant part of the RV. Then turn on WH (electric) and in about 30 min try running hot water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #7

Quote:
If your unit is a 2016 and you are on well water, and you need to replace the anode rod, it is very possible it is your water. It is possible that you have sulfur or bacteria in the water that creates a gas when heated. One thing you try. Turn off and drain WH flush is you have a tool. Now without turning it on run about 15 gals of water thru the WH and out the faucet at the most distant part of the RV. Then turn on WH (electric) and in about 30 min try running hot water.

Ok. Will try tomorrow. And report. Thanks very much.

Tim
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

If you have the same alarm as ours, are you really getting a LP or CO Alarm? If it is blinking red-green, that is low battery. I found out recently when ours went off and it was flashing red-green. it was one of the many warnings we got when our batteries discharged because our converter died... Ours has what each type of LED blink means written on the front of the unit.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:00 AM   #9
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorton1987 View Post
I have a 2016 Rockwood 8311ws with the safe-t alert CO/LP. The alarm keeps going off when we use the hot water. I have blocked in and disconnected the LP bottles from the trailer so I am positive it is not from that. And running the water heater on electric. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to water could cause this.

Thanks,
Tim
We had a problem with that alarm when we camped by a reservoir that had a lot of rotting vegetation nearby. It apparently was creating methane which the alarm detected and set off while we were off hiking. The neighboring campers went nuts, so we had a lot of free beers to pass around when we got back.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:

I replaced the anode rob and did this yesterday evening and it seems to have worked so far.

Tim