Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Safety chain question?

What size links are on the Rockwood windjammer's? 3/8 or 5/16?

I will need to lengthen mine and want to order the same size.

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

Not sure what size the chain is but I would replace the whole lot before adding to it because I do not have any faith in repair links.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
NELA

Depending on how much length you need to add, have you considered a very heavy duty quick link on each end that attaches to the truck?

With our last TT we used those, one on each chain, which were provided by the dealer.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #4

I'm going to be installing a Propride hitch and I know it usually requires longer chains. Just not sure how much longer I need to go. I haven't installed the hitch yet.

Thanks

Linc
Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer had 5/16 chain on it. I cut those off and installed longer 3/8 Extra Heavy Duty Chain. New chains have a 50% higher rating and are long enough to reach the truck with the new hitch on. I had a heck of a time getting the new chains on the trailer. The loop is half inch rod and was to close to the A frame so I had to bend that down some to get 1/2 inch quick links in.

Linc
Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
RKR

Be careful going by just the size of the chain. There is different grades of chain also. Each link will have a stamp with a number and a letter if it's certified.
Beware of chains that aren't stamped, they are Linley made over seas or in Mexico and are cheap steel.
You should be able to Google chain ratings for info.
I used to haul oversize loads for the DOD and had to take a class and be certified.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Sorry, You might have missed the part in my post where I said the new chains have a 50% higher rating than what it came with.

Linc
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_link View Post
Sorry, You might have missed the part in my post where I said the new chains have a 50% higher rating than what it came with.

Linc

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/WLLchart.htm

Yup , I saw it. I was just trying to bring some awareness to chain grades. My bad.
Happy camping
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #9

No worries, I should have posted the numbers but I left all the info with the trailer in the storage building.

This the set I used for new http://www.easternmarine.com/35-xhd-...p-hook-bsc3835

I will have to find the tag for the original chains. They were surprisingly light duty for a 7500 pound trailer.

Linc

Tags
safety