Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Safety Chains on 2015 Windjammer

I have a 2015 Windjammer 3025, I was looking at the tow chain hook up on the trailer tongue. There is a little bar welded between the frame rails right in the center with both chains on it! How does this allow for crossing the chains before hooking them to the T V? So you can have a cradle with them crossed for the tongue to fall into if ever it does pop off the ball. (God forbid!!)Given the weight of the T T it does not seem like this would hold!! Has anyone bolted these right to the frame??

Old 04-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

Hi bwcarp I just took possession of a 2015 Flagstaff 30wikss V-lite. This is the same floor plan as the 3025. You don't have to cross the chains as they are shorter in length than than in the past and will not drag on the pavement. I have 22 1/2 " from the top of the ball to the ground with the tt hooked up to the tv. The answer to your second question would be no!!!! I would not alter how the chains are hooked to the tt. If you do you will be liable for that engineering changes you make. The lawyers rule and we droll. If the tt were to become uncoupled from the tv and the chains broke free form the tt where you attached them and the tt injurers or kills someone you may go to jail. This happened several years ago in my home town and he went to jail for several years for manslaughter.

Hope this helps Tim

Old 05-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

We have a 2013 Windjammer 2809W and have fought with these short chains for a couple of years. Finally a light bulb went off in my head and I bought two "quick link" add-ons to extend the chains. There is no way they would cross before. Problem solved. Guess I am a little slow. Make sure you get the heavy duty.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #4

Quote:
We have a 2013 Windjammer 2809W and have fought with these short chains for a couple of years. Finally a light bulb went off in my head and I bought two "quick link" add-ons to extend the chains. There is no way they would cross before. Problem solved. Guess I am a little slow. Make sure you get the heavy duty.
How does making them longer allow them to cross when they still are connected at the same place on the trailer tongue? I'd have see a pic of that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Chains should be crossed under the tongue to catch the tongue and keep it from making contact with the pavement should it come off the ball or the ball shank break. In most states, to my knowledge, it is a safety requirement if not the law.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

These chains are hooked on a small bar right in the center of the tongues frame. So its impossible to cross them to make a safety cradle for it to fall into. Will try to get a picture of it. Thanks
Old 05-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcarp View Post
These chains are hooked on a small bar right in the center of the tongues frame. So its impossible to cross them to make a safety cradle for it to fall into. Will try to get a picture of it. Thanks
IF you have enough chain, you can put a couple of twists in the chain and get the X. For that matter, you can get the X just by crossing them as is. The X does not have to be directly under the front of the tongue. Just try crossing them and then unhook the trailer and check it out.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

I'm in the same boat. With them both anchored at the same point on the tongue, even if you twist, unless it falls off at EXACTLY the center and lands just right, the tongue would just fall to the side of both chains rather than be cradled.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Chains should be shortened to just allow turning, but catch the tongue. I found out that they really don't need to be very long. We played with them by hooking up at max angle and then shortened the chains accordingly. Try it is all I can say.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

Chain length isn't my issue. It's the common connection point on the trailer that doesn't allow for a very wide cradle to form regardless of crossing chains. I have serious doubts about the piece of round bar welded to the tongue holding anyway.

Tags
safety, windjammer