Old 10-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Thanks, all. Still not sure where the coax behind the wallplate in the bedroom goes, tho'. Maybe to the outside port? I can move it in the wall and it sounds like it goes there, but not sure....plus that might not make sense, esp. if you wanted cable in the main room. Anyway, if the coax doesn't go to the main room ent. center, is there an easy way to run a coax cable out to it from that BR area? As far as a splitter goes, we would put it on the DirecTV box output - one lead to the ent. ctr. TV and one to the BR TV. Don't care about different channels.

Thanks (again),

Mike

Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #12

seems like it runs down the wall (behind the shower) and not up....plus I see no coax coming in the ent. ctr. from above when I stick my head down where the subwoofer is.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

trying to avoid drilling (wife hates that), but that would be a suversive last resort, esp. if the coax does not go to the ent. ctr.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

Mike, too bad we don't have any Rockwood owners answering here. I can tell you how these things are commonly wired. This picture shows the back of the antenna booster control plate:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2742063917.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	40633

Notice the connection that says "Set 2 Output". This is what normally connects to the TVs in your RV other than the one next to the booster control plate. If you have more than 2 total TVs, there will be a splitter connected to that Output and then the splitter outputs go to the TVs. That splitter is often right behind the control plate.

This next picture shows a normal wiring setup, and I've included in this a Sat receiver modulator output which you can optionally wire in to distribute the Sat signal to the other TVs. You can use an AB Switch to make it easy to reconfigure things if you like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-32265095.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	40634

I hope this helps until a Rockwood owner can tell you how it's actually wired in your RV.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

This is correct. Second TV comes off the back of the amplified wall plate. I own a 2013 model 2306. Being an electronic technician by trade, I already looked at the documentation from Weinguard. I personally was trying to figure out how to combine the parks CATV system (VHF channels 2 though 36) with the TV antenna on the roof (all new HDTV channels are now in the UHF band. Didn't want to keep switching the connection every time we changed from "off air" to "CATV". Bought my camper at a "end of the year close out" and ran out of "play time" to take it further. Will know that answer for sure by the start if next season for sure.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #16

sense the over the air channels are digital, you may try going behind the amplifier plate and disconnecting the catv line from the antenna switch/amplifier. run the catv line out of the wall and install a splitter to combine the antenna out and the catv on the inside of the trailer. the tv should then be able to decode the digital channels and the analogue channels from the catv. this will leave ur other tv outlet usless except for over the air channels. you can choose to put a splitter in the catv line in the wall and bringing one line out of the wall and connecting the other to catv input on the amplifier. u don't want to play with the line between the antenna and the amplifier. i'm looking to do something similar to this this winter by combining the sat receiver analogue output with the sat receiver (dish antenna) input. then tapping off the analogue signal from the sat antenna cable in the living room. what i will have to insure is that dc is allowed to pass thru the sat antenna wire freely but keep it out of the lines leading to the tv.
a splitter and a combiner do the same thing. there are differences but it has more to do with how wide of a band each will accept.

it is not true (entirely) that the vhf tv stations have moved to uhf. it appears (that in my area) ch4 &5 have moved. ch 7&8 are still on their old freq. the difference may be between the vhf lo and vhf hi. it looks like they split their designation between ch 6&7. so far, i've only seen a couple vhf lo channels move. channel 7 & 8 here are broadcasting HD.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #17

Tried this mod while at a camp site. Plate behind my set has two connections. Constantly was switching between them. What a pain. Still a little un-clear where the (input) satellite connector on the side of the camper terminates.

Ran out of "season" before I got that far.

I did try to use a two-way splitter (5-1000MHz) in reverse as a combiner to connect the two wall plate outputs (CATV and TVRO (antenna)) together with unsatisfactory results.

CATV analog signals became snowy and had what appeared to be co-channel interference (lines and distortion in the video)

Thought it was the parks low signal to the site which would not allow another 3.5 dB loss through the combiner.

Added a small 20 dB amp in line with the CATV feed at the pedestal but that helped some snowy pictures but I still had some interference problems.

Really need to map out the wiring before preceding. Both CATV and TVRO may terminate at the back of the pre-amp wall plate and require you to turn off the amp in order to use the cable connection, and I'm using the satellite coax.

This would be a great modification, but will have to work the bugs out next season.

Have worked with RF distribution systems for over 30 years now, so I'm sure I will get to the bottom of it. Just ran out of "play time".

A simple A-B switch would be an instant fix, but I didn't have one in the truck while at the camp site.

Let me know if you discover the solution in combining the two

Gordy.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
sense the over the air channels are digital, you may try going behind the amplifier plate and disconnecting the catv line from the antenna switch/amplifier. run the catv line out of the wall and install a splitter to combine the antenna out and the catv on the inside of the trailer. the tv should then be able to decode the digital channels and the analogue channels from the catv. this will leave ur other tv outlet usless except for over the air channels. you can choose to put a splitter in the catv line in the wall and bringing one line out of the wall and connecting the other to catv input on the amplifier. u don't want to play with the line between the antenna and the amplifier. i'm looking to do something similar to this this winter by combining the sat receiver analogue output with the sat receiver (dish antenna) input. then tapping off the analogue signal from the sat antenna cable in the living room. what i will have to insure is that dc is allowed to pass thru the sat antenna wire freely but keep it out of the lines leading to the tv. a splitter and a combiner do the same thing. there are differences but it has more to do with how wide of a band each will accept.
Analog and digital channels are on the same frequencies but are just modulated differently. If you have two of the same channel coming from your two sources, they are going to interfere and what you're proposing won't work.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcomdude View Post
Really need to map out the wiring before preceding. Both CATV and TVRO may terminate at the back of the pre-amp wall plate and require you to turn off the amp in order to use the cable connection, and I'm using the satellite coax.
Yes, absolutely. The antenna booster power switch (push button) both turns the antenna amplifier on & off and switches the outputs from that plate to either OTA or "Cable Input".
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #20

the sat connector goes to a splitter (in my older unit). on mine, it was a standard DC pass thru splitter and is located behind my entertainment center (radio/cd player). (changed mine out because it wasn't rated for the higher frequencies).
i've tried feeding the sat receiver output back down the tv line back to the amp. had a similar results as u. looked like more loss than i expected.
figured that the mix of the analogue and digital would work. would have to try it and see what other bugs would pop up. i did something similar to this on my home set up. mixed a digital converter output to an analogue signal. the analogue signals were so far separated that u had to look closely to see interference.

barry has a picture of the back of the amp w/ the three connectors. i see he has a x on the connection between the sat output and reg "amp" tv output. that would be an external choice not part of the system. the newer models may be different.

wouldn't have expected interference from combining unless the signal is being fed back thru the amp.
right now, i'm changing out a cooling unit on the frig. will try and see what i can do with the tv once i finish that.