Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Satellite installation Help needed

I have a 500 dishnet satellite and receiver that I have after doing an upgrade on our home dish set up. I am making a tripod out of pcv pipe that I got instructions for making. Problem is someone else did the set up here at the house and I have to do it in the trailer. We have a 2008 Rockwood 2906ss.
Someone just tell me what I need for installing it in the trailer. Also how do you get the correct signal once it is all set up.

Connie and Dan
lierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Head Rambler
While I didn't locate the exact model RV that you indicate, the Rockwood RV's have satellite prep. Here's what you need to set it up. You'll need coax from the dish to the RV sat input. You'll need coax from the Sat connection in the RV to the receiver. You'll need the Azimuth and Elevation to align the dish relative to where you are. You can usually get this by entering the zipcode where you are into the setup screen in the receiver or by going to Dish's website and entering the info there. You'll most likely need a compass, and if you want to make it easy, a Sat finder of some sort. Oh, and the last thing you'll need is patience, lots of patience.

I use a set of handheld radios to tweak my signal strength once I have the dish set up. I place one at the tv and turn VOX on. I set the receiver in setup mode, signal strength screen. Then I take the other out to the dish with me. That way I can hear the signal tone without having to be near the tv. I also look at other RVer's setup to help determine which way to aim the dish.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
2x Forest River Owner
The install is really the easy part. Your first go-around trying to find the dang birds is what will have you cursing. Put the kids away and if your wife doesn't like hearing four letter words, tell her to go shopping!

The sat signal finder is a must as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise you've got to make sure you're perfectly level, and have the exact azimuth and elevation numbers, not to mention the tilt, or skew, or whatever they call it. I found that with the sat finder, I was able to get everything (azimuth, elevation, etc) as close as I could, then start moving the dish around until the signal pegged the meter.

I got mine at Radio Shack:

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Thanks for the help. I will definitely get an in line satellite finder.
Connie and Dan
lierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Originally Posted by lierz View Post
Thanks for the help. I will definitely get an in line satellite finder.
Or a buddy that is a retired Army artillery guy. (Shame all the fun stuff is now computerized)
-------> '03 FR Flagstaff 25LB UltraLite
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
i usually go cheat off of a neighbor. I think a level is a must. and then go see what the neighbors is set on.
DW of 12 yrs 6yr old girl, Twin 9yr old girls, 9yr Old boy (10 months between the Three)
2010 Suburban 1500
2006 Sea Ray 185 sport
On the hunt for a new travel trailer
wvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Computer Guy
Hey when dish network installed my dish, i talked to the supervisor and told him i wanted a tripod for when i go camping. he dropped one off at my house for free. i am going to try and use it next week when i am in the palm desert.

2006 Rockwood 8314SS Ultralight Trailer

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel

1996 Chevy Tahoe 2 Door Lifted 4 Inches. 5.7 V8

Thousand Trails Member

Out of Elk Grove California, near Sacramento.
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Bama Rambler; Great idea on the radio. I will try it when we go to Lajitas in 2 weeks.

2010 Rockwood 2604SS
2008 Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote