Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Cyber Phrenologist
I vote to save the money

TV is one of the things I go out camping to get away from. The others are e-mail, phones, US postal service. I do keep the SAME weather radio on.

I'm one of those who can listen to the majestic silence of Gods creation and be entertained for days at a time.

(Not to poop on anyone elses parade... )

Admin at, part of the Social Knowledge network.
"RVing and Amateur Radio served up on the same plate"
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #12

hail chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Send a message via Yahoo to Sabre Tooth
I have sat tv and I only get the basic package and local channels for 19.00 plus tax per month. After the first year I just pay for the months that I'm camping. This is through Dishnet
Sabre Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Bit the bullet!

Well folks, I know have satellite tv. I can't live without racing and football...........and BOSTON RED SOX so I went ahead made the phone call. Thanks for all your replys, the were very helpful.
jessebunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Fellow SOX fan here! GO SOX!
Nights camped in 2010 = 21 nights

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
I found that taking the Satellite system is a waste of time. Practically all of the private RV parks have cable. It's also a pain to set the Sat System up.
Harry York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #17
Where do you all pick up an extra dish? Have 4 receivers in house that we can take one.
What else do you need to hook it up. Also will one receiver in RV work for different viewing in bedroom and in the living area? Thank for the help
Connie and Dan
lierz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #18
Head Rambler
Amazon or E-bay is the best place to get a dish. If you can catch an installer they will usually have a few they'll let you have for a few bucks.

You'll need some kinda stand whether it's a tripod or homemade one. A compass is usually a good investment. A satellite finder is good if you don't mind spending the money. A length of RG-6 cable (I'd suggest at least 100') You may need siamese (pair of cables attached side by side) depending on your setup.

You'll have to take two recievers if you want different channels in two different locations. You can't use the "cable" tv jack on rig to hook to the satellite dish without some modifications. Some RV's come with satellite jacks too though.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
I bought a dish at Radio Schack a couple of years ago and the tripod from Campers World, they have two types of tripods. I bought the smaller one and we are very happy with it because the tripod is easy to install, it has a way to anchor it to the ground using a large cork screw device. I use a tent stake instead.......

It is so nice to have sat. tv when we are out......
2005 Chev Silverado 2500
2006 Salem 296RLSS Fiver
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #20
We do the same as most; have Dishnetwork at home and take a box when on the road. I got an extra dish after sending an e-mail at work offering to take old dish's off people's hands. I actually ended up with numerous Direct TV and several Dishnetwork systems.

I go on-line armed with the Zip Code of where we will be and pre-set angles for dish. When we arrive, I simply point that bad-boy to the southern sky and generally only have to move it a little bit for good signal.

Would love to get a 'vue but agree those seven bills could be better spent on something else !

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote