Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Satellite TV worth the money?

I have a 2002 #2502 I just purchased and I was wondering if getting Satellite tv was worth the money. I'll prolly stay in my tt a total of 10 times this year and wanted to know what you all thought it was worth paying for a years worth of service. I guess I can get a dish and a receiver for around $200 bucks. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jessebunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Head Rambler
If you don't have Satellite in your Bricks & Sticks then it'd be hard (for me) to justify the cost for 10 times a year. I have it and take a reciever out of the house to use in the RV so it doesn't cost me anything. Even if I got a dedicated reciever for the RV it would only be about $60/year so that would still be acceptable.

It really boils down to how much you like your tv and how much you're willing to pay to have it a few hours while you're camping. That's a question only you can answer.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
When I had sat TV I had an extra dish and would drag the receiver outa the house when camping (sometimes).

I don't watch enough TV so I don't have sat anymore.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Perhaps the benefit would be better reception then the cable at some of the RV parks. I dont know if it's because they have the cable split between so many sites at some of these parks, but i've been at some where the cable channels look like over the air broadcasts. I would think with satellite you'd be the only one getting the broadcast so it should be as good as your house reception. I've thought about going from cable to sat. in my house just for this reason but I just really dont watch that much tv to begin with so i just leave it as it is.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
as long as i can get a few channels with good reception i am happy. i like to watch local news and either jay lenno or dave letterman when i go to bed. i pay way to much for basic cable at home and wont pay any more!!!
gate33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
I have four receivers in my house for Direct TV, I take one receiver with me when we go camping and I have an extra dish, so there is no extra money out of my pocket. It's good if Cable is not avaible and if stations are hard to get.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
I have an extra dish that I made a stand for, took a receiver from the house. No way was I going to spend extra money on another system. Worked good but sometimes a pain to set up since we camp under the trees a lot. Now I don't even take it anymore. If no cable we still have DVD's that we take along.
Bobby (USAF Retired)
2007 Chevy 2500 LBZ Duramax C/C, S/B 4X4
2006 Rockwood 8317SS
1973 Airstream Ambassador
Old Town Penobscot 16
gillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Thank you for the response. I sort of thought the same thing. I really can't justify spending the money for something I won't use too often. I'll stick with over the air and the cable!
jessebunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Just remember that come Feb 2009 you will need a digital converter to receive signal over the air unless you purchase a new TV with digital tuner. Govt will give you a coupon for $40 of the box (2 per address).
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
Any SAT TV signal fed into your TV will take care of the digital issue... i.e. if you have SAT TV you have no worries about this 2008 Digital thing. Same thing goes for Cable.

On the OP's question... I would agree with those who said, If you have SATTV at the house already, then it probably makes sense. If not, then you probably cannot justify it.

Personally, we like it, but we have three receivers at home, so we just pull one from the Game room and take it with us. Looks good on that 26" LCD! Camping in the fall, we find the SAT TV invaluable to watch the good football games!

We do not bother taking it with us when we have just one night planned. Two nights, then we like it.

I would love to buy a Vu Qube to take with me. Several of our camp mates have them and they are simply incredible... you can have your DirecTV set up in a couple of minutes. Literally. And much more compact than an 18" Dish. BUT... that $699 is a pretty steep price for us.

Hope this helps,

Nights camped in 2010 = 21 nights

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote