Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #1

Satellite Wiring

Hello,

New to the forum. Family just got a 2010 Rockwood Roo 21RS. My question is about the satellite hookup. We have a portable dish that we hook up to the SAT connection on the outside of the trailer. That connection ends up right inside the trailer entrance door. The wall plate has 2 coax connections labelled SAT/AUX and TV as well as the antenna booster button. The TV stand has only one coax and a TV Video out for the included DVD player.

Is there a way to get the dish signal from the entrance door to the TV stand? It seems strange that the wall plate is by the front door and not at the TV stand doesn't it? Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks
beck891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes that does seem odd. There's a mod that can be done to the TV amp plate for getting sat signals into the RV and I'd suspect you'd need to do that in order for the sat signal to pass the TV antenna amp. That would allow you to install a jumper at the plate by the door and use the sat receiver at the stand.

If there was room you could pull an extra cable over there and connect the sat from the outside to the new cable and do it that way.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Well the short answer is most likely "no".

If your rig is like mine;

The SAT cable goes directly from the outside connection to the wall plate with the amp button on it. No where else. You would need to run a wire from that wall plate SAT connection to the TV stand where your SAT receiver is located.

If you did NOT want to use the roof antenna or park cable TV at the TV stand, then you could buy a cable union to join the SAT wire off the back of the amp plate to the end of the wire that does go to your TV stand (also behind the plate but most likely on a splitter). You would have to remember where everything goes to put it all back when you could not use the satellite.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sat hook up

You will not be able to run the sat cable through the local antenna amp. There is anywhere 9-18 volts DC that is sent from your sat box to the head on the dish to make the system work. You may have to run a length of RG-6 from the inside plate to the SAT box to complete the hookup. The plate was mounted on the wall to get the cable through to the inside of your camper so you would not have to run it through a window!

Sid & HRH, Daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
You will not be able to run the sat cable through the local antenna amp. There is anywhere 9-18 volts DC that is sent from your sat box to the head on the dish to make the system work. You may have to run a length of RG-6 from the inside plate to the SAT box to complete the hookup. The plate was mounted on the wall to get the cable through to the inside of your camper so you would not have to run it through a window!

Sid & HRH, Daisy
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was proposing that the SAT cable be removed from the amp plate and joined to the end of the RG-6 run to the TV stand. The amp panel would not be connected to the tv stand run in any way if this was done.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I stand to be corrected!

Careful "FLY-BOY", us Sailors will shoot a missle at you as you pass somewhere near

HUMMMMM, about as clear as "MUDDY SALT WATER"

Sid & HRH, Daisy
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Here's a link to the mod I was talking about. Satellite Rewire.
It allows you to retain all the functionality of the antenna and have sat too. All you need to do is change a jumper to go from TV to Sat.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Here's a link to the mod I was talking about. Satellite Rewire.
It allows you to retain all the functionality of the antenna and have sat too. All you need to do is change a jumper to go from TV to Sat.
What a very cool idea! A simple solution to a complex problem.
Elegant.

Tags
rockwood