Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
ColoradoRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 953
Screen Door Latch

Okay, Rocky owners, I need advise.

I just bought the 3rd or 4th small latch hoping it will be what we need to latch the darn screen doors shut...but isn't working.

We have two chihuahuas and discovered if they bump the doors they open right up...one fell right down the steps the last time we went camping.

I've adjusted the slot on the door jam where the catch for the door goes into but it's not very secure.

Anybody have a solution other than just putting up baby gates?
__________________

__________________
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
heavynlori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,067
Do you have that folding handle on the outside? We fold that against screen door so our lab does not push it open - he likes to lay there and people watch
__________________

__________________
heavynlori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Fivealive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Okay, Rocky owners, I need advise.

I just bought the 3rd or 4th small latch hoping it will be what we need to latch the darn screen doors shut...but isn't working.

We have two chihuahuas and discovered if they bump the doors they open right up...one fell right down the steps the last time we went camping.

I've adjusted the slot on the door jam where the catch for the door goes into but it's not very secure.

Anybody have a solution other than just putting up baby gates?
You could try a clam shaped or other cover make from bottle plastic or something similar mounted over the latch to guard it from bumping open. Just make sure it is finger friendly when you reach in to open the door. If you mean the dogs are forcing the door open, try mounting another strike plate over the existing one. Our dogs have figured out how to pull the latch on our door down. I used a door guard screen to prevent them from getting their paws on the latch handle.
__________________
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
ColoradoRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Do you have that folding handle on the outside? We fold that against screen door so our lab does not push it open - he likes to lay there and people watch
No, we don't have a folding handle on the outside.
__________________
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
ColoradoRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
You could try a clam shaped or other cover make from bottle plastic or something similar mounted over the latch to guard it from bumping open. Just make sure it is finger friendly when you reach in to open the door. If you mean the dogs are forcing the door open, try mounting another strike plate over the existing one. Our dogs have figured out how to pull the latch on our door down. I used a door guard screen to prevent them from getting their paws on the latch handle.
I think it's the tab that is supposed to go into the groove on the door jam that's the problem. It doesn't go in very far so is very easy to pop out, just touching the screen door can make the door open right up.
__________________
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
 
awellis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Anybody have a solution other than just putting up baby gates?
Yes. Go to the hardware store and get a sliding cabinet latch. It is black to match the door. You can lock/unlock by reaching through the slide. Cheap, simple and has that "OEM look." Here's a pic of mine. It's so unobtrusive, it's hard to see.


Works great.
__________________
Wright and Penny
(with Fitz and Lizzie, the camping kitties)
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Okay, Rocky owners, I need advise.
I just bought the 3rd or 4th small latch hoping it will be what we need to latch the darn screen doors shut...but isn't working.
We have two chihuahuas and discovered if they bump the doors they open right up...one fell right down the steps the last time we went camping.
I've adjusted the slot on the door jam where the catch for the door goes into but it's not very secure.
Anybody have a solution other than just putting up baby gates?
Would it not be better to train the pups to not bump the door? We have a 4 yr old mutt that after about a week, learned not to touch the screen door.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Member
 
Charliec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
Good idea awellis3. Thanks for the post with picture
__________________
Charlie C
2012 Ford F-150
2015 Rockwood 2504S
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would it not be better to train the pups to not bump the door? We have a 4 yr old mutt that after about a week, learned not to touch the screen door.
We don't agree on much however, I agree with you on this.
I'm a pretty big stickler when it comes to dogs and there behavior.
Full week in goshen and my dogs never barked once.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
We don't agree on much however, I agree with you on this.
I'm a pretty big stickler when it comes to dogs and there behavior.
Full week in goshen and my dogs never barked once.
The only time our mutt barks is when someone knocks on the door. Have had numerous camping neighbors ask us "Does your dog ever bark?" and we chuckle and say "Let us put her in the camper and then knock on the door."
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.