Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Securing recliner for travel

I am still struggling with the recliners bouncing and moving when secured for travel. When we get to our destination, I have to open one slide out slightly, walk to the back of the RV to make sure the chairs aren't obstructing the slide out before I open them the rest of the way. I have very little clearance between the living room slide out when they are closed and the area for the recliners. There are two anchor points for the strap at the bottom of the back wall, placed down by the floor. The strap goes all of the way around both chairs and it either slips during travel or just doesn't hold them in place. I can't place anchors towards the front of the chairs as we have linoleum and the chairs won't slide over them. I have placed the chairs facing each other and tried back-to-back. Is there a good solution?
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Use ratchet strap instead of the factory strap and tighten it.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

When back to back cover both backs with a blanket and then use a ratchet strap to hold them.

400 lb. Capacity 1 in. x 15 ft. Ratcheting Tie Downs 4 Pc
Old 07-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

We put them back to back with a 6" roll of bubble wrap between the tops of the backs and strap them together. Our recliners are located on the slide carpet and have not slid in 3 years of traveling. No wear or tear.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

I like the idea of using a ratchet strap as well as the roll of bubble wrap. Every time I stuff a towel or something else, it falls off. These are leather recliners so I will need to use a blanket or wrap them to protect them from rub marks from the ratchet strap. I appreciate the quick response and am open to other tips.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #6

We use the large bubble bubble wrap and it doesn't shift.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #7

We also put ours back to back for travel with a thin carpet runner permanently placed under the chair bases. Our chairs are not located in the slide and we've never even had to use the factory provided straps to keep them in place.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

in the TT we just traded, we had swivel chairs that we had to turn facing the back wall and then tighten the straps. we had to scoot the chairs as far over toward the door side and squished together as possible for the slide to close. we tighten the strap more than most folks, and when we would get to our destination they were still as we had them when we left. they were on carpet as well and they were leather, the straps didn't scar the leather at all
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #9

Lake jumper your Rockwood is essentially the same unit as my Flagstaff. For travel my recliners are turned sideways, butted together facing each other. The strap fits between the arm rest and the back of each on the side now facing you. From the attachment point on the floor, angled up, slide it down in that crack, attach the straps to each other, ( straps are now inside the armrests) pull tight and tie a bowknot in the remainder of the straps. Mine have never moved while stored this way and have no "travel rash".
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Ford Hauler,
Thank you for sharing. How many anchor points do you have for your straps? I only have two anchor points. I had positioned mine facing each other and placed the strap around the backs and it slid down from bouncing. Would it be too much trouble to take a picture?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Our 2016 2904ws did not come with straps to hold the chairs. We put them up against each and stuff in pillows to hold them and move the little table to the front and wedge them all in. No movement of chairs.
Ms G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel